• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POSITIONAL ANAYLSIS: Linebackers

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(The analysis does not include incoming players, but stuff on those guys will be added once ink is put on the letters of intent in February and we see where they get slotted in the Spring)

MIKE:

This year’s depth chart:
#51Bruce Taylor rSo. 6’2”, 246lbs
#53 Jack Tyler rFr. 6’1” 228lbs.

Next Year’s Projected Depth Chart:
#51Bruce Taylor rJr. 6’2”, 246lbs
#38 Quillie Odom rJr. 6’1” 239lbs
### Brian Laiti rFr. 6’3” 205lbs

At the Mike position, Bruce Taylor emerged as an All-ACC level player this past season. He led the team with 84 total tackles, 15.5 for a loss and was second on the team with 6 sacks. Essentially, he became the freak linebacker he was expected to be coming out of high school this year. This is likely because it was his first season totally healthy. He was a second team All-ACC player, and is likely a lock at the starter spot next season. He is big, fast and has great instincts. After a tough game against Boise State (where he missed a critical tackle on the long run and got a BS late hit on the final drive) he locked down his game and became one of our most consistent defensive players. He will step into a leadership role this coming season and if he stays for two more seasons, he will be an all-American player and a high drft pick.

541681.jpg

Behind Taylor, this season, we had our new version of Cody Grimm, Jack Tyler. In extensive action as a back up and replacement for Taylor, he proved himself a capable linebacker with a good nose for the ball and great tackling technique. He finished the season with 13 tackles, and 5 tackles for loss. He is a walk on who bulked up and earned his scholarship prior to next season. In the “Brett Warren/Purnell Sturdivant” mode, he is consistent, capable and good against the run. He is a bit of a liability against the pass, but should be able to work on some of that over the spring. He may never be a starter at tech, but he will make us all rest a bit easy in the event of an injury for the forseeable future.

Va._Tech_44__Florida_St._33___12.04.10_gnbTi_tP_0017.embedded.prod_affiliate.156.JPG

Next in line is a bit of a mystery. Quillie Odom redshirted this season but I am becoming more and more convinced that he may just never fit in to this system. Rumors of his potential transferring have been out there and although he has always been a hard worker and good student, something is just not clicking for him right now. I hope for the best for him, but I just do not know enough about him to expect him to get much playing time. Behind Odom is likely redshirt freshman, Brian Laiti, a big kid who was recruited by Bud Foster. He has progressed well, and added some bulk but is a but of a tweener. I do not think that he is a lock at Mike as he could end up at any of the three linebacker positions, or tight end.

laiti_large_horiztonal_photo_3_file.jpg

I know what you are asking: What about Barquell Rivers?? Well, I am projecting him to be playing at the “backer” spot next season and will discuss him there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BACKER:

This year’s depth chart:
#44 Lyndell Gibson rSo. 5’11” 232lbs.
#24 Tariq Edwards rFr. 6’3” 228lbs.
#57 Telvion Clark rFr. 6’1” 217lbs.

#52 Barquell Rivers rSr. 6’0” 236lbs.
#36 Chase Williams rFr. 6’1” 231lbs.
#24 Tariq Edwards rFr. 6’3” 228lbs.
(also on roster)
#44 Lyndell Gibson rSo. 5’11” 232lbs.
### Dominique Patterson rFr. 6’1” 227lbs.
### Jonathan Halfhide rFr. 5’10” 201lbs.

In the old 4-4 defense that Bud Foster ran, prior to the 2004 season, the Backer and Mike had very different roles but in the newer 4-4 defense they play essentially the same role. Foster has stated that, ideally, he would like two of the same guys here. This is why I am projecting Barquell Rivers to move to the backer spot. He and Bruce Taylor are the best and most experienced two linebackers that we have on the roster, and because of this, I think they will both be starting. Rivers is smart, smart, SMART and plays fundamentally perfectly. He looks too short, and too stocky, yet he plays extremely well. He is as sure of a tackler as we have on the team and will provie leadership for this team. He may get some field time in the Orange Bowl and will likely be his usual relentless self in the offseason and will be in great shape to play next fall.

s091029_hokiestacklepg-vertical.jpg

I have dropped Lyndell Gibson considerably here because for every spectacular play he made this season, he made two mental errors or played lazy a couple of plays. The fire he played with in 2009, when he took Johnson’s spot was not there this year. I do not expect to see him in the two deep.

lyndell-gibson.jpg

I have put redshirt Freshman, Chase Williams, in the #2 spot, but to be honest I think that it is a toss up between he and Edwards here. Williams would have played this season had he not had some injury problems in the summer. He is mature beyond his years and his father is Gregg Williams, a badass NFL defensive coordinator so he is a very heady player. Oh yeah, and he is huge.

PH2010082803437.jpg

Tariq Edwards has looked good in limited time this season, with a great second half against Florida State, a goal line stop at UNC and an interception against Miami. He is taller and rangy and may get a look at Whip in the offseason but he is slotted at the backer spot.

Tariq+Edwards+Virginia+Tech+v+North+Carolina+82lLwYS1syBl.jpg

Tariq Edwards

Behind Gibson and Edwards this season was Telvion Clark. Clark is a physical freak and hitting machine, but the light has not turned on for him quite yet. He has the potential and physical skills to be a great one, and I see him as a future starter, but he has not shown me signs yet that he is ready for that responsibility yet.

This spot is really up in the air to me as I could see any of the top 4 winning the spot in the Spring and Summer and we may see position changes for a few of these guys. It is much less clear than the Mike spot. This particular thread should be pretty active in the offseason.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(The analysis does not include incoming players, but stuff on those guys will be added once ink is put on the letters of intent in February and we see where they get slotted in the Spring)

MIKE:

This year’s depth chart:
#51Bruce Taylor rSo. 6’2”, 246lbs

#51Bruce Taylor rJr. 6’2”, 246lbs
#38 Quillie Odom rJr. 6’1” 239lbs
### Brian Laiti rFr. 6’3” 205lbs

At the Mike position, Bruce Taylor emerged as an All-ACC level player this past season. He led the team with 84 total tackles, 15.5 for a loss and was second on the team with 6 sacks. Essentially, he became the freak linebacker he was expected to be coming out of high school this year. This is likely because it was his first season totally healthy. He was a second team All-ACC player, and is likely a lock at the starter spot next season. He is big, fast and has great instincts. After a tough game against Boise State (where he missed a critical tackle on the long run and got a BS late hit on the final drive) he locked down his game and became one of our most consistent defensive players. He will step into a leadership role this coming season and if he stays for two more seasons, he will be an all-American player and a high drft pick.

Behind Taylor, this season, we had our new version of Cody Grimm, Jack Tyler. In extensive action as a back up and replacement for Taylor, he proved himself a capable linebacker with a good nose for the ball and great tackling technique. He finished the season with 13 tackles, and 5 tackles for loss. He is a walk on who bulked up and earned his scholarship prior to next season. In the “Brett Warren/Purnell Sturdivant” mode, he is consistent, capable and good against the run. He is a bit of a liability against the pass, but should be able to work on some of that over the spring. He may never be a starter at tech, but he will make us all rest a bit easy in the event of an injury for the forseeable future.

Next in line is a bit of a mystery. Quillie Odom redshirted this season but I am becoming more and more convinced that he may just never fit in to this system. Rumors of his potential transferring have been out there and although he has always been a hard worker and good student, something is just not clicking for him right now. I hope for the best for him, but I just do not know enough about him to expect him to get much playing time. Behind Odom is likely redshirt freshman, Brian Laiti, a big kid who was recruited by Bud Foster. He has progressed well, and added some bulk but is a but of a tweener. I do not think that he is a lock at Mike as he could end up at any of the three linebacker positions, or tight end.

I know what you are asking: What about Barquell Rivers?? Well, I am projecting him to be playing at the “backer” spot next season and will discuss him there.

VT should be pretty solid at LB in 2012.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good stuff 46.. 'preciate it

and it looks good for the hokies

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow man - you fucking rock. Keep up the great work bro.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys. I will keep doing it as long as you keep reading them, and you don't throttle me when the actual two-deep is different. These are mostly my gut feelings, as I am not a reporter or coach or anything.

FYI, it looks like Jack Tyler will start at Mike in the Orange Bowl and Taylor will slide over to Backer. Some of the packages will move Taylor back to Mike and Edwards into Backer. Tyler-Taylor against the run, and Taylor-Edwards against the pass, if I had to guess.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Lots of stuff floating around about switching to a more traditional 4-3. Although i dont look for that to become our base defense (yet) imo we may see it from time to time next season especially against run heavy teams. If this is the case i could see taylor/rivers/williams <--------thats a pretty nasty LB combo imo.

sidenote: im real excited about next years D, i really look for us to make a huge rebound after some what of a down year. The secondary should be flat out nasty, i really expect big things from our D ends next year, i think the interior Dline is getting there and should be really solid by the time conf play rolls around, taylor should be solid again, just gotta get a little bit more from the backer and whip (which i think we will)

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know 46 isn't projecting L. Gibson in the two deep. Does anyone think that his current brush with the law (DWI) :L has sealed his fate? I haven't heard any response from Beamer and Co. yet, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he was removed from the team considering his off the field problems..Then again they gave Luckett like what..3 or 4 chances. Unfortunate for this to happen. These kids never cease to amaze me with some of the bone-headed crap they do.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may lose his scholly but I dnubt Frank kicks him to the curb. He may suspend him, ala Zach Puckett and let him walk on but Frank is not going to take something solid out of a kids life when he needs it most. This was dwi, which is terrible but pretty common among college students. This wasn't r*pe or robbery.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may lose his scholly but I dnubt Frank kicks him to the curb. He may suspend him, ala Zach Puckett and let him walk on but Frank is not going to take something solid out of a kids life when he needs it most. This was dwi, which is terrible but pretty common among college students. This wasn't r*pe or robbery.

True, but he has already had a robbery/felony larceny charge in the past though. Hopefully he can get his shit together.