• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POSITIONAL ANALYSIS: Offensive Line

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(The analysis does not include incoming players, but stuff on those guys will be added once ink is put on the letters of intent in February and we see where they get slotted in the Spring)

TACKLE:

This year’s depth chart:

Right Tackle
#62 Blake DeChristopher rJr. 6’5” 320lbs.
#67 Michael Via rSo. 6’7” 300 lbs.

Left Tackle
#72 Andrew Lanier rJr. 6’5” 275lbs.
#54 Nick Becton rSo. 6’5” 311lbs.

Next year’s depth chart:

Right Tackle
#62 Blake DeChristopher rSr. 6’5” 320lbs
#63 Laurence Gibson rFr. 6’5” 293lbs.
#70 Kory Gough rFr. 6’5” 292lbs.

Left Tackle
#54 Nick Becton rJr. 6’5” 311lbs.
### Mark Shuman rFr. 6’6” 309lbs.
#72 Andrew Lanier rSr. 6’5” 275lbs.

Also on the roster
#61 Darian Fisher rSo. 6’4” 256lbs.
### Patrick Williams rFr. 6’2” 318lbs.

We all know all about how many games this receiving corps has played since coming into Blacksburg back in the 2007 season, but another stalwart began his career on that fatefu day in charlotte as well. Blake DeChristopher stepped into the right tackle slot as a redshirt freshman and had a good game going before suffering devastating internal injuries from a blind side cheap shot by an ECU defender. He missed the next game….one more…and has not missed a start since. He has start 38 of a possible 40 games since his freshman year. He has played very well in those games and projects as the starter again next year on the right side. He is a hell of a run blocker (ask Ru, DE or DW) and has become a damn good pass protector as well. How many times have you heard “Holding, offense, #62….”? Yeah, not very often at all.

FedEx+Orange+Bowl+ydnO7fvbowyl.jpg

At left tackle, I expect Nick Becton to slide into the starting spot full time. An offseason should allow him to fully heal from his foot issues and he has the size and quickness to be a good one here, and has played well in platoon work this season with Andrew Lanier.

92434.jpg

Behind the two starters, I am projecting two highly touted Freshman to slide into the 2 deep. Laurence Gibson was an early enrollee this past year and dressed for every game but did not have his shirt burned. Mark Shuman is a legacy recruit who has all the work effort of his brother, Ryan, but twice the physical attributes and more speed. I expect our tackle position to be in good hands for years to come with these two guys.

628397.jpg

Laurence Gibson

Andrew Lanier was admirable in his effort this past season but he has tough time keeping weight on. He is listed at 275 but is close to 260 right now at the end of the season. He has quickness and fantastic technique but can get engrossed and mauled by bigger defenders. With our lack of depth at the tight end spot, I would not be shocked to see him in the fold as a situation sixth blocker or even a goal line target. That would be a nice little wrinkle. He was recruited as a tight end and catches passes in practice.

Andrew+Lanier+East+Carolina+v+Virginia+Tech+6_yDcCPFzXYl.jpg

I know very little about Kory Gough, Darian Fisher or Patrick Williams but will learn more over the Spring.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GUARD:

This year’s depth chart

Left Guard
#75 Greg Nosal rJr. 6’6” 29lbs
#76 David Wang rFr. 6’2” 300lbs

Right Guard
#68 Jaymes Brooks rJr. 6’2” 296lbs.
#71 Vinston Painter rSo. 6’6” 298lbs.
#59 Courtney Prince rSo. 6’3” 268lbs.

Next year’s depth chart

Left Guard
#75 Greg Nosal rSr. 6’6” 293lbs.
#76 David Wang rSo. 6’2” 300lbs.
### Matt Arkema rFr. 6’3” 275lbs.

Right Guard
#68 Jaymes Brooks rSr. 6’2” 296lbs.
#71 Vinston Painter rJr. 6’6” 298lbs.
#59 Courtney Prince rJr. 6’3” 268lbs.

Also on the roster
#77 Dale Davis rFr. 6’2” 293lbs.
### Tyler Barfield rSo. 6’1” 298lbs.
### Aaron Price rJr. 6’3” 302lbs.

There will be very little change at the guard position this year as essentially the entire two deep is back. Greg, the warrior, Nosal played very well this past season, even sans finger. He is a bit undersized and nowhere near his listed weight but he is tough as hell and mean as a snake. I would not be shocked to see Wang or Arkema challenge him for the starting spot in the Spring, but I think he will win the spot.

101011.10.jpg

On the other side, Jaymes Brooks had another solid season. He struggles a bit in pass protection and can be prone to holding penalties, but he is a great run blocker and steady at his spot. Painter, Wang or Arkema could challenge for this spot as well.

57994011.jpg

Behind the starters is a lot of youth. With both of the starters graduating, expect the other guys on the depth chart to get a lot of reps this season. Wang got time this past season and di well in cleanup work. He is as strong as an ox, a coaches favorite and may end up even better than his brother. Matt Arkema, as discussed in other threads, is downright mean and a mauler. He is a workout warrior and has seriously impressed his coaches and made it a point to aggravate his teammates during scout team work. That is a very good thing, I mean, how much of an ass do you have to be to get under John Graves’ skin. And now we come to the enigma…Vinston Painter. He looks the part, has all of the measurable and every offseason we hear that the light has turned on for him. Then he proceeds to get left on the bench for the majority of the season. He certainly is one of the first guys that you want to bring off the bus as he is imposingly freakish as an athlete, but something has not clicked yet. Perhaps this season will be the one. I hope so, as he could be a major contributor as a pulling guard and a guy that can engage defenders on the next level.

MX_091709_MattArkema2.jpg

Matt Arkema

4518103010_0ff48e1a69_o.jpg

Vinston Painter

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Center

This year’s starters:
#60 Beau Warren rSr. 6’3” 286lbs.
#74 Andrew Miller rFr. 6’4” 283lbs.
#63 Bo Gentry rSo. 5’8” 237lbs.

Next year’s starters
#67 Michael Via rJr. 6’7” 300lbs.
#74 Andrew Miller rSo. 6’4” 283lbs.
#63 Bo Gentry rJr. 5’8” 237lbs.

The lone spot where we lose a starter on the line this coming season is center where Beau Warren graduates. He has been a two year starter and a good one so he will be missed.

warren2009_06_small.jpg

I am projecting Michael Via to step into his natural position and take the starting spot at center. He has played center before (a couple starts in the 2009 season) and will likely slide back here this season. He is tall and a bit lanky but has put on some good weight (20 pounds or so in two years) and is very athletic and football smart. This is important as he will be making the line calls next season. His height would be a concern….except our quarterback is 6’6 as well.

33.jpg

Andrew Miller is a good football player who played a lot this season and showed a mean streak. He will compete for the starting spot in the spring, but I see him more as a utility guy who can play all of the positions will get spot duty in every game (20 snaps or so). With a lot of unproven commodities along the new two deep, he will be relied upon as a consistent and experience backup. He is a versatile guy who can do it all, and that is always nice to have.

4631962.jpg

Next we have Bo Gentry, son of S&C coach Mike Gentry. I did not mistype those numbers. He is 5’8” and 237 pounds, which made watching Logan Thomas working with him this season in practice downright hilarious. He is tiny, and a hard hard worker and strong as an ox, but he will not be in the two deep, but will get on the field some. He is a great kid and a great football player born in a body too small.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right Tackle
#62 Blake DeChristopher rSr. 6’5” 320lbs
#63 Laurence Gibson rFr. 6’5” 293lbs.
#70 Kory Gough rFr. 6’5” 292lbs.

Left Tackle
#54 Nick Becton rJr. 6’5” 311lbs.
### Mark Shuman rFr. 6’6” 309lbs.
#72 Andrew Lanier rSr. 6’5” 275lbs.

Also on the roster
#61 Darian Fisher rSo. 6’4” 256lbs.
### Patrick Williams rFr. 6’2” 318lbs.

Left Guard
#75 Greg Nosal rSr. 6’6” 293lbs.
#76 David Wang rSo. 6’2” 300lbs.
### Matt Arkema rFr. 6’3” 275lbs.

Right Guard
#68 Jaymes Brooks rSr. 6’2” 296lbs.
#71 Vinston Painter rJr. 6’6” 298lbs.
#59 Courtney Prince rJr. 6’3” 268lbs.

Center
#77 Dale Davis rFr. 6’2” 293lbs.
### Tyler Barfield rSo. 6’1” 298lbs.
### Aaron Price rJr. 6’3” 302lbs.
#67 Michael Via rJr. 6’7” 300lbs.
#74 Andrew Miller rSo. 6’4” 283lbs.
#63 Bo Gentry rJr. 5’8” 237lbs.

Minus the loss of Warren (Via will be a good one there) at center I believe this team will be VERY solid on the Line with the starting 5. IF they stay healthy and play up to their potential maybe one of the best we have had in a couple years, collectively. Hopefully as you said 46, we can get some of the young guys some valuable playing time (early) with one of the more forgiving schedules we have had in years. I think we have had some solid linemen in the past but very few (if any) dominant all-american type linemen. I think one of our biggest discrepancies in recent years has been the quality depth on the line, offensive and defensive. Maybe we can change that if Shuman, Gibson, Miller, and Wang get some time. Man, add Arkema into that mix of those 4(I have heard good things about him as well), and that looks like a GREAT starting O-Line for 2 or 3 years to come. I'm not holding out hope for Painter to become that 4-5 star guy that we thought we had. Unfortunately he will be the next Tripp Carroll, George Bell, etc. type guy who never quite makes it because of injury, etc.