• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pool Flaw?

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if there is already a thread about this but if someone could just explain this to me...

What's keeping Germany and the United States from just 'drawing' and both advancing? Is there a way to be certain both teams don't cheat and arrange this? I mean hell, just play the game normally, and make sure if you score you let the other team score back later down the road...it really isn't that hard to arrange something like this prior to the game especially with all the down time between games. Unless they're really terrible at faking a draw I don't see how you could prevent them from doing this.

This is why 'ties' are retarded in sports, and I can't believe such a plausible situation is more than likely to occur in the 'worlds' biggest sport tournament.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is plausible about this. Americans are just making a big deal out of this because the US are involved. I'm pretty it's not the first time this happened in a world cup and won't be the last that in a final group game both teams need a draw to both advance.

If ghana/Portugal didn't lose in the first game, they wouldn't be in this situation

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is plausible about this. Americans are just making a big deal out of this because the US are involved. I'm pretty it's not the first time this happened in a world cup and won't be the last that in a final group game both teams need a draw to both advance.

If ghana/Portugal didn't lose in the first game, they wouldn't be in this situation

absolutely spot on IMO... It's becoming a big deal just because its US involved.... not being anti-American but there's nothing wrong going on here...nothing unprecedented about this situation...

I'll look at it as a positive though that it shows that the fans of US Mens soccer are showing genuine interest and support... its a good sign that its going into that next level of soccer enthusiasm.

Just hope for a tie or Portugal win vs Ghana...

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if there is already a thread about this but if someone could just explain this to me...

What's keeping Germany and the United States from just 'drawing' and both advancing? Is there a way to be certain both teams don't cheat and arrange this? I mean hell, just play the game normally, and make sure if you score you let the other team score back later down the road...it really isn't that hard to arrange something like this prior to the game especially with all the down time between games. Unless they're really terrible at faking a draw I don't see how you could prevent them from doing this.

This is why 'ties' are retarded in sports, and I can't believe such a plausible situation is more than likely to occur in the 'worlds' biggest sport tournament.

The question is, what do you do then? Sudden death overtime? Flaw with that is you could go over a half an hour without a winner, then your "product" is exhausted. It would be inhumane to make these guys go any longer in Brazilian weather. Imagine Qatar.

Penalty kicks? well that's how knockout games are settled and nobody likes that but otherwise players would drop dead.

Take a man off the field every five minutes? Seems inhumane as well.

There is no easy answer but all teams know the rules and scoring of the pool and must strategize accordingly.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt either team plays for the draw.

There is no way in Hell either team is going to try for a draw from a collusion or cheating point of view and there is certainly no way either team is going to let the other score if/after they score themselves, but both teams will probably play it as if they are winning with the match tied; especially us. Germany is pretty much in either way, so they can be more agressive, but we will play more as if a draw is a win because it pretty much is.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it gets down to the last 30 minutes, it could happen.

shawn131871

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No draw

I agree. There will be no draw. I mean i'd much rather play the runner up of Group H than whoever wins the group. I think both teams will be playing for the win.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it gets down to the last 30 minutes, it could happen.

The later it gets the more conservative they certainly will become. I guess my point was from the start that no one will do the soccer version of the old 4 corner BB offense and just run down the clock twice...

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Scenarios for the US if they lose to Germany. We have to hope Portugal comes out to play. Luckily for us, Pepe is back and Muntari is out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 44

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a draw expect a call for conspiracy. Especially if the score is 0-0 with the Germans not trying.

The Germans can still go through with a USA win by one goal.

As others have stated, yes, it happens all the time. FIFA is pretty corrupt. Ghana and Portugal are both dangerous teams and the other 15 teams would rather have USA instead of one of those two in the knockout.