• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Committee Member Barry Alvarez talks about his criteria

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Ohio St is 12-0 going into it's CCG and gets upset by 9-3 Iowa. Miami (9-3) losses to FSU in the regular season, yet pulls an upset in the ACC CCG rematch.

The first 3 play-off spots are taken by Big 12, SEC, and Pac undefeated or one loss conference champs , but those conferences have other in-conference one loss teams.

You want the 4th play-off spot to go to Iowa or Miami over one loss tOSU, FSU or another one loss team?

Yes, it should. Otherwise the conference championship games were meaningless.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think that coaches and press were watching more than the highlights of some games? They watch ESPN and have one of their assistants vote for them.

I ever said they watched the games. Don't be a dunce, dunce. I never said orimied such a thing.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're giving the team that lost the first time a do over...

They didn't know they would get a do over at the time.

You want to set up conference championship games where teams know going in they don't have to win them.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call it an upset all you want......those teams won when the chips were on the table, no excuses.

When they HAD to win, they DID. I reward that. I don't give preference to teams that couldn't close the deal. If they were better, they'd have won the title......it really is that simple.

Easy solution for your scenario.......don't get upset in a title game. WIN your title game, you got nothing to fear.

That's easy for you to say because Texas doesn't play a title game. There will be no rematches in the Big 12. There will be no way for a Big 12 team with 3 conference losses to beat out a Big 12 team with 2 OOC losses and one in confereence loss, will there 'Texas gaming the system' trash?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 1 loss or undefeated conference champion should be in. End of story. AND 1 loss teams that lost that game in their league title game should get preference over 1 loss teams that didnt play in their league title game Anything more than 1 loss getting guaranteed entry in to the playoff simply by winning their league makes the regular season pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 1 loss or undefeated conference champion should be in. End of story. AND 1 loss teams that lost that game in their league title game should get preference over 1 loss teams that didnt play in their league title game Anything more than 1 loss getting guaranteed entry in to the playoff simply by winning their league makes the regular season pointless.

Boom

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Ohio St is 12-0 going into it's CCG and gets upset by 9-3 Iowa. Miami (9-3) losses to FSU in the regular season, yet pulls an upset in the ACC CCG rematch.

The first 3 play-off spots are taken by Big 12, SEC, and Pac undefeated or one loss conference champs , but those conferences have other in-conference one loss teams.

You want the 4th play-off spot to go to Iowa or Miami over one loss tOSU, FSU or another one loss team?

Absolutely, I kind of consider the conf. championship an extension of the playoffs itself. Besides, if you really are that good, then just don't lose.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 1 loss or undefeated conference champion should be in. End of story. Anything more than 1 loss getting guaranteed entry in to the playoff simply by winning their league makes the regular season pointless.

Ehh.....

If we go 12-1 and TAMU goes 10-2, with close losses at 10-2 Auburn and 13-0 Alabama while crushing 7-5 LSU, I'd hope TAMU (or Auburn) would get the nod over us.

Any rules beyond saying "the four most meritorious teams based off their play throughout the course of the season" seems strange to me.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's easy for you to say because Texas doesn't play a title game. There will be no rematches in the Big 12. There will be no way for a Big 12 team with 3 conference losses to beat out a Big 12 team with 2 OOC losses and one in confereence loss, will there 'Texas gaming the system' trash?

Simple solution you keep missing......I want all conference CHAMPS. If this is a problem, make the B12 have a title game.

I don't have an issue with this at all.

SIMPLE solutions. Gaming the system is using non-specific criteria that muddies the water......what YOU are doing.....

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points being made today, but as you all very well know, the selection committee will NOT use guidelines like these when making their selections and we WILL all most likely be pissed every year as a result.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee will just look at the 2 Polls and only every so often put in a #5 over a #4 when #5 is a conf champ. Like I said on the first page

Any of you who think anything different will happen are dunces.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh.....

If we go 12-1 and TAMU goes 10-2, with close losses at 10-2 Auburn and 13-0 Alabama while crushing 7-5 LSU, I'd hope TAMU (or Auburn) would get the nod over us.

Any rules beyond saying "the four most meritorious teams based off their play throughout the course of the season" seems strange to me.

Too ambiguous and too easy for people to manipulate the system. We have to have some kind of guideline otherwise its just a matter of who is the better proponent for their league/their team in the selction committee. Its naive to believe that SEC guys wont be partial to SEC teams, B10 guys to B10 teams etc etc. We are one short step away from alliances and secret pacts and shit. This isnt Survivor or Big Brother. Its a CFB playoff and there needs to be estblished criteria, not ambiguous jargon.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt it will be any different than BCS... It will go by the other polls except every so often they will choose the #5 over the #4 -- to either put in a conf champ instead of an also-ran or to put in a "better" #5 conf champ to replace a #4 conf champ.

Like I said, if there are 5 eligible teams in the other polls' top 5, a #6 will NEVER see the playoffs... or i'll wear an Aggie cap for the rest of my life.

most likely so. i expect the playoff comittees rankings to mirror the AP poll. maybe not pick for pick...but wont be a #7 team ranked in the ap poll have a chance at making the 4 team playoff.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The basic problem that the playoff faces is exactly the same as the one faced by the BCS. The task of finding THE four (or two) unambiguously deserving teams to play for the national championship is by it very nature impossible - because every year is different and there is no reason the season should produce four and only four (or two and only two) unambiguously deserving teams. Further, by expanding the field, the bar is necessarily lowered for inclusion, and the number of teams that get left out that will have a claim that they belong will increase. Expanding the playoff actually makes that worse rather than better.

So I expect an annual shit-storm and bitch-fest. But I'm just an optimist that way . .

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple solution you keep missing......I want all conference CHAMPS. If this is a problem, make the B12 have a title game.

I don't have an issue with this at all.

SIMPLE solutions. Gaming the system is using non-specific criteria that muddies the water......what YOU are doing.....

Dude, I know what you're getting at, but given all the VERY possible scenarios listed in this thread, do you think MAYBE you're putting a tad too much emphasis on CCs?

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The basic problem that the playoff faces is exactly the same as the one faced by the BCS. The task of finding THE four (or two) unambiguously deserving teams to play for the national championship is by it very nature impossible - because every year is different and there is no reason the season should produce four and only four (or two and only two) unambiguously deserving teams. Further, by expanding the field, the bar is necessarily lowered for inclusion, and the number of teams that get left out that will have a claim that they belong will increase. Expanding the playoff actually makes that worse rather than better.

So I expect an annual shit-storm and bitch-fest. But I'm just an optimist that way . .

Well one way to narrow it down is to only allow conference champs into the discussion.

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Complete bullshit:

'We have access to all game tape.'
As if they are going to watch more than the highlights of some games.

'I'm aware of the AP and Coaches Polls , but they're not meaningful.'
LMAO. As if the committee members aren't going to START AND END with those polls, then just change them at the edges if they can "get away" with it... i.e., maybe put in a #5 Coaches/AP Poll Conference Champ in lieu of a #4 Non-Champ... that's it. If a #6 unanimous Poll team ever gets into the Playoffs, I'll wear an Aggie cap for the rest of my life.

Complete bullshit line of crap and story.

Your dead wrong. The AP, and Coaches poll will have zero influence on the committee, and there will be SIGNIFICANT differences between the committee's poll, and the coaches/ap poll.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I know what you're getting at, but given all the VERY possible scenarios listed in this thread, do you think MAYBE you're putting a tad too much emphasis on CCs?

If the emphasis is established at the beginning of the season then every team knows what it needs to do to get in.

There is no guessing or wondering.