• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Committee Member Barry Alvarez talks about his criteria

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complete bullshit:

'We have access to all game tape.'
As if they are going to watch more than the highlights of some games.

'I'm aware of the AP and Coaches Polls , but they're not meaningful.'
LMAO. As if the committee members aren't going to START AND END with those polls, then just change them at the edges if they can "get away" with it... i.e., maybe put in a #5 Coaches/AP Poll Conference Champ in lieu of a #4 Non-Champ... that's it. If a #6 unanimous Poll team ever gets into the Playoffs, I'll wear an Aggie cap for the rest of my life.

Complete bullshit line of crap and story.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see the result of the process before we start bitching.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see the result of the process before we start bitching.

Not a single person bitching about the process or the results of the process. Just calling a lie a lie and a crap story a crap story.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm bitching. This is going to be a hot fucking mess

Doubt it will be any different than BCS... It will go by the other polls except every so often they will choose the #5 over the #4 -- to either put in a conf champ instead of an also-ran or to put in a "better" #5 conf champ to replace a #4 conf champ.

Like I said, if there are 5 eligible teams in the other polls' top 5, a #6 will NEVER see the playoffs... or i'll wear an Aggie cap for the rest of my life.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your Lord and Master ESPN has already provided the 4 Play-Off teams.

Like good sheeple, you will bow to them and hug nutsacks.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complete bullshit:

LMAO. As if the committee members aren't going to START AND END with those polls, then just change them at the edges if they can "get away" with it... i.e., maybe put in a #5 Coaches/AP Poll Conference Champ in lieu of a #4 Non-Champ... that's it. If a #6 unanimous Poll team ever gets into the Playoffs, I'll wear an Aggie cap for the rest of my life.

Right, because a Hall of Fame coach is too lazy to review game film...

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complete bullshit:

You think that coaches and press were watching more than the highlights of some games? They watch ESPN and have one of their assistants vote for them.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmies will be rustled no matter the outcome.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with it being a little data driven. as the article states, it's a lot more impressive that a team is scoring 21 points a game against D's that average 10 pts a game, as opposed to 50 pts a game against D's that give up 45 pts a game.

But as Alvarez also stated, he's reviewing game film, sure they might not be watching an entire game, but I guarantee that guy is watching more than highlights. He's a high class guy and is going to be taking this thing seriously.

Ideally and just like computer polls do, they can use data to get to a top 10-16 and then they actually watch games of all those teams on the top of their list to narrow it down to the 4. With only 4 teams, I don't think you are going to get an agreement on those 4, because the next 4 are going to be considered nearly as good.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Alvarez really meant was "I'm using the eye test" but I don't want everyone to get bent over it.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Humans are involved...of course it will be fucked to some degree.

That's why I've hoped that they would use data (connectivity) and computer based rankings in their determinations.

I don't mind a little eye-test thrown in...but data don't lie.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference champs as a criteria is the only thing that makes sense.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference champs as a criteria is the only thing that makes sense.

Only if they are undefeated imo.

If that conference champ has at least one loss, they go into the pool with other teams with losses for further evaluation.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if they are undefeated imo.

If that conference champ has at least one loss, they go into the pool with other teams with losses for further evaluation.

Nope. Can't reward the losers of a division and then punish the winners of that same division by making them play an extra game.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
conference champs doesn't make sense. you can't penalize a team for losing that last game of the year. you've got to look at their work as a whole.

If a 12-0 SEC West team happens to lose to a 9-3 SEC East team in the SEC Championship, I'd still put that SEC West champ into the 4 game playoff. and I'm not even an SEC homer, i hate the SEC but they have to be represented and the 9-3 SEC East team isn't the team to get in.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
conference champs doesn't make sense. you can't penalize a team for losing that last game of the year. you've got to look at their work as a whole.

If a 12-0 SEC West team happens to lose to a 9-3 SEC East team in the SEC Championship, I'd still put that SEC West champ into the 4 game playoff. and I'm not even an SEC homer, i hate the SEC but they have to be represented and the 9-3 SEC East team isn't the team to get in.

They make PERFECT sense.

If the 12-0 team can't beat a 9-3 team, THEY DON'T DESERVE TO BE THERE. You ABSOLUTELY penalize them!

That's the point!!! If you are worthy, WIN the game......and there's no controversy.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why make winning the conference meaningless? Why set up a CCG and say, well, it doesn't matter if you win or lose this game?