• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pittsburgh Topic: New Generation of fans

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh fans turn to Crosby - Yahoo! Sports

awesome article...really sums up how i feel about sports right now. don't get me wrong, i'll be watching every steelers game i can this coming season, but the furor with which i support them will be much much less than the pens. ben has really turned me off that much.

islander4cups

Franchise dman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not looking to cause trouble with the Pitt fans. I thought it was a good article and it is typical of the difference between nhl players and players from other sports. Typically, the nhler is far more humble than the nfler or nba player.

But what I did find a little self serving in the article was there was NO single mention of the Pirates. Now, I know the Pirates have been a national punchline in sports since 1996, but the article is talking about how the Pens are essentially taking over the town because of how they rep themselves. OK fine, but lets be real. That is also because they are winning. Now it might be a "they win the right way" sort of deal and that's fine, but if you are going to go with the "they are good guys" angle, which this article seemed to be doing and ignoring the winning angle, why not include the Pirates. They aren't getting into trouble the way the Steelers are/were.

And while the Pirates are a joke of an org. (sorry- don't mean to insult, but they are) it was not that long ago that the Pens were threatening to move, losing money hand over fist and at the bottom of the standings. The Pens weren't packing them in then.

Let's face it. Steelers fans are genuinely disgusted with Ben. I don't blame them. But it is a whole lot easier to have some moral indignation and put the Steelers on the backburner temporarily since the Pens are going on another run. I'd be very interested to see how much Pens stuff the stores would be selling if this were the "post Mario/pre-Sid" version of the Pens. Because that's what the Pirates are and they weren't mentioned in the article once and I didn't see the stores at the airport moving a ton of their gear.
jmho

smo5039

talkin puck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they were mentioned isles, he called them an eye-sore in the last paragraph lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not looking to cause trouble with the Pitt fans. I thought it was a good article and it is typical of the difference between nhl players and players from other sports. Typically, the nhler is far more humble than the nfler or nba player.

But what I did find a little self serving in the article was there was NO single mention of the Pirates. Now, I know the Pirates have been a national punchline in sports since 1996, but the article is talking about how the Pens are essentially taking over the town because of how they rep themselves. OK fine, but lets be real. That is also because they are winning. Now it might be a "they win the right way" sort of deal and that's fine, but if you are going to go with the "they are good guys" angle, which this article seemed to be doing and ignoring the winning angle, why not include the Pirates. They aren't getting into trouble the way the Steelers are/were.

And while the Pirates are a joke of an org. (sorry- don't mean to insult, but they are) it was not that long ago that the Pens were threatening to move, losing money hand over fist and at the bottom of the standings. The Pens weren't packing them in then.

Let's face it. Steelers fans are genuinely disgusted with Ben. I don't blame them. But it is a whole lot easier to have some moral indignation and put the Steelers on the backburner temporarily since the Pens are going on another run. I'd be very interested to see how much Pens stuff the stores would be selling if this were the "post Mario/pre-Sid" version of the Pens. Because that's what the Pirates are and they weren't mentioned in the article once and I didn't see the stores at the airport moving a ton of their gear.
jmho

In my Uncle's experience, the Pirates aren't jerks, but they're not necessarily personable either. He said they don't stir up trouble or take a position of superiority or anything like that. They just don't do anything. At all. Ever.

Of course, that might simply be because they don't feel comfortable showing their faces in public....

Pandolph20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

jmho

Good post Isles. I want to try and respond the best I can. The Pirates are like this.....their management team is only interested in what is frankly a small profit each year and as long as the people in this city are dumb enough to go, they will continue to do so. Unless someone who wants to win buys the team, they may literally suck fat donkey dick forever.

The Pens are different, with Lemiuex under center here, they will at the very least always try and be competetive and that is why the Pens fanbase here is solid even under a losing team. The 5 years of the Pens being terrible were to blame from a decade of morons with money running the team into the ground. I have confidence that Pittsburgh Penguin fans are NOT a bunch of bandwagon fans anymore.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Obviously the winning helps, but Pittsburgh has always to some extent embraced the "blue-collar" regular guy athlete (look at Mario). Sid is a perfect fit here. That's why I sometimes wonder when people say "you guys would love OV if he played for you" would really hold up.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
loki had the best description. and 4cups, i agree with what you're saying. it's true...but with the way the steelers have been acting lately they've lost the 'pittsburgh personality' that they once held. the hard working attitude, the work for your money feel, they don't have it. the pens do. they aren't flashy, but they are talented. they stay out of trouble and they're just regular guys. my point was that if ben doesn't make a 360 change, my generation of pittsburghers will be pens first all the way. (i already am, but it's a trend)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
loki had the best description. and 4cups, i agree with what you're saying. it's true...but with the way the steelers have been acting lately they've lost the 'pittsburgh personality' that they once held. the hard working attitude, the work for your money feel, they don't have it. the pens do. they aren't flashy, but they are talented. they stay out of trouble and they're just regular guys. my point was that if ben doesn't make a 360 change, my generation of pittsburghers will be pens first all the way. (i already am, but it's a trend)

I don't mean to nitpick (or maybe I do), but as the Resident Nerd, I feel compelled to tell you that a 360 degree change is no change at all. Now a 180 degree change...

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to nitpick (or maybe I do), but as the Resident Nerd, I feel compelled to tell you that a 360 degree change is no change at all. Now a 180 degree change...

nerd ;)