• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phone OS - Which is king?

Phone OS of choice

• Windows 8 - Continuity across devices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blackberry - The business stalwart

• Other - firefox, ubuntu, saifish, etc

• Outdated - palm, windows pre 8, limo, etc

• Smart phone? It's a phone! (no OS, just a damn phone)

• Total voters

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok campers, have at it. Who do you go with for your smart phone and why. Have a bad experience with iOS or Android? Still holding on to your blackberry and loving it? Give us the 411 on your choices and views of the others.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
inb4 JDM tells us all there is only iOS and all who use something besides that are idiots.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a Note 2. I like it because it suits my needs. I like to surf and watch video with my phone and the big screen makes it that much better. Also I don't have nimble fingers and a big screen makes it easier to type.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fun to mock JDM, but he's still welcome to tell us all why iOS. Who knows, there might be a hoopster that isn't set on one that might find value in the opinions up here. This is JDM's chance to tell them why a pretty little pink iPhone is the shit.

:whistle:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a Note 2. I like it because it suits my needs. I like to surf and watch video with my phone and the big screen makes it that much better. Also I don't have nimble fingers and a big screen makes it easier to type.

Notes are cool. One of my coworkers has one because he does a lot of carpentry and whatnot and the ability to jot down notes on that phone is a bonus for him.

I have a S4 and it suits my needs just fine. I didn't want a huge phone because it sits in my pocket, but it does give me the tools I need to manage the IT infrastructure for my work. I can remote in and control my servers if I'm on the road and something comes up and I have lots of apps for things like testing wifi strength, tracking cell phone tower strength.

There is nothing I've needed or even thought of that my phone can do to help me in my job that I haven't been able to make work on my android.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surely people have a preference.

Now that JDM is gone there is no fear of telling it like it is. Tell us what phone, phone/OS you prefer and why. Can't test out every phone and maybe your input might help us make a choice for our next phone.

:suds:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best phone I ever had was a Nextel the size of a brick but people laughed at me so hard over it that I gave in and got a new phone.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not I resisted having a 'smart phone' for a very long time. Phones are for making calls and MAYBE text messages. Didn't need apps and browsers in my pocket. Only been about 3 years since I owned my first one and only got it because of work. I was perfectly content with having a regular phone. I'm sure there are plenty of other people my age that feel the same.

So far I've owned a Motorola Atrix 2 and a Samsung S4. Both have done what I needed them to do.

I may not love smart phones, but I've had to do support for several platforms including blackberry and iPhones. Just gravitated to the droids and haven't ever had any issues with them.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phones are one thing I will not support. Tablets up to a point. Basically I just tell them to take it back to the store and let them figure it out.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had an HTC Evo 3D and an iPhone 5. Straight out of the box, I would say they were comparable but my Evo slowed way down after a while. Could be a hardware issue, but since I got my iPhone I have really come to like the iOS. I don't need anything too technical...in addition to making phone calls and texting, I use the browser, Twitter & Facebook apps, weather apps, Pandora, and a couple games.

My only complaint is the fact that you can't leave group messages :gaah:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phones are one thing I will not support. Tablets up to a point. Basically I just tell them to take it back to the store and let them figure it out.

Mostly it's just setting up their email, getting them access to their files, helping them with basic settings if they somehow screw things up.

We really don't have many tablets where I work. There are a few droid tablets in use for customer service, but they just have a 2x app on them so there really isn't anything to support on it.

Let's face it, when you are IT for a medium sized company you end up doing a lot more than just basic desktop/server/network support. I've had to learn a lot more about telephony, specialty hardware, vendor software support, ATM machines, and just about anything else that plugs in.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got the galaxys5 and so far it has blown me away

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one windows 8 phone user has checked in. Would love to hear how they view it compared to iOS or droid.

I seriously don't know a single person that has switched over to it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know anyone who owns a windows 8 phone, sometimes I think only Microsoft employees own one.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard of people owning one, but I haven't come across one and I'm at least curious what their experience is vs the other major two.

To me I see no reason to switch to that platform. I can open office docs and sheets on my droid just fine and do what I need to with them. Hell, I have a free app that lets me connect to my windows servers if I need to do something while on the road.

Given the rich library of apps and functionality available for iOS and droid I just don't see the draw to going to this, but really would like to hear from someone with a different opinion.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've played around with iPhones, and they're fine. i can't imagine ever getting one for myself, though.

love how much more flexibility i have with android, and my last 2 phones (EVO 3D, and HTC One), I've never had a single problem. the EVO 3D could slow from time to time with heavy use, but the HTC One is gold. seems that software and hardware for droid phones have hit their stride in the last year or so.

a couple of my friends have windows phones, and they seem to like them.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to hear how any of your friends compare their windows phones to their prior devices and hear what they like about them.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know squat about Android phones... Anyone care to sell me on one? I currently have the iPhone 4s and have been wanting to get the 5. I'm open for change IF it's significantly better. I use my iphone for calling/texting a lot, watching netflix, listening to pandora, fantasy football, facebook and emailing. Never have used the facetime. Also I am really bummed out that iphone's don't have a flash player in them.