• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies "stat guy"

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking hilarious. If I understand this correctly, the front office is so pathetic that mlb felt it needed to loan him one of their guys so he can help them avoid making any really embarrassing moves? (or should I say more embarrassing moves). Are the Phillies even paying the guy or are they just letting mlb pick up the tab until they decide whether these crazy new stats are here to stay or if they're just a fad?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard most of this before (at least the Amaro quotes), but I didn't know that the guy was employed by MLB. It sounds like the thread would have been more appropriately titled "Phillies'" stat guy.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard stuff a few weeks ago that MLB was helping the Phillies find someone but I didn't think it would be someone who works for MLB

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking hilarious. If I understand this correctly, the front office is so pathetic that mlb felt it needed to loan him one of their guys so he can help them avoid making any really embarrassing moves? (or should I say more embarrassing moves). Are the Phillies even paying the guy or are they just letting mlb pick up the tab until they decide whether these crazy new stats are here to stay or if they're just a fad?

Come on, EVERYONE knows that you cannot break sports down into numbers. The only thing that matters is the "eye" test. I mean sure the numbers say Jimmy Rollins hasn't been a valid leadoff hitter for 4 years, but he looks GOOD doing it, so he must be good at it. Who cares if the numbers said at the time of the Ryan Howard extension that he was in decline, did you see how far he could hit the ball when he actually managed to get a bat on it. Baseball is a real sport played by real people, not numbers. <sigh>

This has to be what the team actually thinks, right? Sadly it is what all of the Philly radio/TV stations think also. Nothing infuriates me more than listening to WIP and hearing them talk about how Philly needs power hitting more than guys who get on base. As if 20 more solo HRs would be the solution to the Phils problems. Heck Glen and Anthony were openly mocking Sam Hinkie and how analytics had zero place in basketball, well all of sports (as if the Spurs weren't continuously great because of it, or the Red Sox, or the Cardinals, or pretty much every successful team now-a-days). They even went so far as to claim that because Oakland hasn't won a title since their Moneyball days it proves how unsuccessful analytics is. <double sigh>

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Come on, EVERYONE knows that you cannot break sports down into numbers. The only thing that matters is the "eye" test. I mean sure the numbers say Jimmy Rollins hasn't been a valid leadoff hitter for 4 years, but he looks GOOD doing it, so he must be good at it. Who cares if the numbers said at the time of the Ryan Howard extension that he was in decline, did you see how far he could hit the ball when he actually managed to get a bat on it. Baseball is a real sport played by real people, not numbers. <sigh>

This has to be what the team actually thinks, right? Sadly it is what all of the Philly radio/TV stations think also. Nothing infuriates me more than listening to WIP and hearing them talk about how Philly needs power hitting more than guys who get on base. As if 20 more solo HRs would be the solution to the Phils problems. Heck Glen and Anthony were openly mocking Sam Hinkie and how analytics had zero place in basketball, well all of sports (as if the Spurs weren't continuously great because of it, or the Red Sox, or the Cardinals, or pretty much every successful team now-a-days). They even went so far as to claim that because Oakland hasn't won a title since their Moneyball days it proves how unsuccessful analytics is. <double sigh>

Rollins hasn't been an acceptable lead off hitter sing 2008.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Red Sox had the best team on base percentage in the bigs,and they won it all! Amaro is a terrible GM. I think a high school student with some common sense,could do a better job!

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollins hasn't been an acceptable lead off hitter sing 2008.

The first paragraph was sarcasm on my part, I was inferring what must be in Amaro's head. It is the only thing I can think of why he continues to ignore sabermetrics which has proven to be successful.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox had the best team on base percentage in the bigs,and they won it all! Amaro is a terrible GM. I think a high school student with some common sense,could do a better job!

Wait wait wait, OBP is the most important offensive number in baseball? That cannot be true, Ruben said it was Runs and RBIs. He just doesn't want people to ask him how runs and RBIs are generating if there is never anyone on base.