• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Jackson: Hurting Knicks?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Phil Jackson is hurting the Knicks

NEW YORK – A playoff coach hit the market last weekend, a solid boss with a proven track record and a keen basketball mind. Dave Joerger isn’t a marquee name, but his 147-99 record in three seasons in Memphis was pretty good, and the job Joerger did navigating a battered Grizzlies team to the postseason this year was even better. Sacramento thought so, inking Joerger to a three-year, $12 million deal within days of his ouster.

The Knicks? Not so much.

Team president Phil Jackson wants you to trust him, and man, doesn’t that get harder by the day? Joerger may not be the right fit in New York, but for one of the NBA’s flagship franchises to let another coach come off the board without even a token effort to interview him is a terrible look. The list of coaches at which the Knicks have shrugged continues to grow, while Jackson shows none of the urgency expected as the overseer of a franchise in disrepair.

It’s time to accept a certain reality: Jackson just isn’t cut out for this gig. The world has gotten bigger, and the talent pool has grown with it. An NBA executive must be a tireless workaholic, not an ex-coach who acts like his 11 championship rings make scouring the globe for talent beneath him. Jackson nailed Kristaps Porzingis, a transformative 7-foot-3 big man who will revolutionize the center position. Yet the frontrunner for the Knicks’ coaching job (incumbent Kurt Rambis) has suggested Porzingis play some small forward while staying loyal to a system (the triangle) that doesn’t seem to suit the young star.

The Knicks don’t have a pick next month, which is all the more reason for Jackson to put in the extra work. No asset is more attainable than a second-round pick, particularly from the handful of teams (Boston, New Orleans, Denver) with a few of them. Finding NBA talent there is difficult, but every year yields aNorman Powell, a Jordan Clarkson, an Allen Crabbe, and it’s often the most relentless executives who grab them.

Now is the time for Jackson to marshal his resources, not cruise through the Plains States on an ill-timed break. There’s video to be dissected, college coaches to be called, international scouts with information to be bled dry. Free agency – Jackson’s rebuilding method of choice – has changed, evolved. The magnetic pull to big markets has weakened, replaced by a marketplace of players fueled by a desire to win. New York, with its instability, its annual failures, just isn’t where the elite talent is looking to play.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest. He has not done anything without Jordan, Kobe, Shaq or any of the other superstars he somehow inherited.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a good point, but without MJ and the rest, would he have won that many, if any? Was he the coach of the Bulls when MJ took his 3 year foray into baseball? I can't remember.
Pat Reilly is another one of those enchanted coaches.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he's hurting the Knicks with his inability to be flexible.

Unless he strikes gold and gets the guys he thinks can fit his offense of choice this Summer, they need to trade Melo or move on from Phil.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

And to a different point, one has to question what kind of influence Phil truly had on his disciples. Fisher and Shaw have both bitten the dust as head coaches, and Rambis has shown his ineptness in different stops as well.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

And to a different point, one has to question what kind of influence Phil truly had on his disciples. Fisher and Shaw have both bitten the dust as head coaches, and Rambis has shown his ineptness in different stops as well.

The guy Kerr hasn't done bad. (I know he also played for Pop & Lute)

Krispy Treat

3-6 Latvia
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks bad, but Phil knows a hella lot more about basketball than I ever will. Who am I to question him? And I certainly won't bad-mouth him like some other Knicks' fans. I'll stick by with his decisions.

Last edited:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks bad, but Phil knows a hella lot more about basketball than I ever will. Who am I to question him? And I certainly won't bad-mouth him like some other Knicks' fans. I'll stick by with his decisions.

He does need to be called out once in a while for his complacency approach sometimes though...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It has nothing to do with knowledge and everything to do with effort. Jackson has done nothing to help the Knocks during his tenure, so I don't see why Knicks fans would want to keep him around. He is a HOF coach, but that does not mean he is qualified to run an organization.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Jackson is the laziest front office person ever. He's also ego driven, which doesn't always suit the position well. He's not cut out for the job

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Jackson is the laziest front office person ever. He's also ego driven, which doesn't always suit the position well. He's not cut out for the job

I do like the fact he believed in and drafted Porzingis..and did a few other moves to rid the team of some bad contract $$$, but his unwavering love for the triangle and him wanting to stick w/ Kurt Rambis as the coach is a bit troubling...and has me wondering if he's experiencing early onset Alzheimers...or dementia.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the fact he believed in and drafted Porzingis..and did a few other moves to rid the team of some bad contract $$$, but his unwavering love for the triangle and him wanting to stick w/ Kurt Rambis as the coach is a bit troubling...and has me wondering if he's experiencing early onset Alzheimers...or dementia.

He didn't really believe in him though. He compared him to Shawn Bradley of all people (their skillset isn't even close so did he really even watch him play?). He fell to them and they just made the pick. If you want to give him props for taking him over someone like Frank Kaminsky, sure, I guess he made the right call. But I'm not really willing to give a guy major props drafting a guy in the Top 5 when pretty much everyone had him projected in the Top 5.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't really believe in him though. He compared him to Shawn Bradley of all people (their skillset isn't even close so did he really even watch him play?). He fell to them and they just made the pick. If you want to give him props for taking him over someone like Frank Kaminsky, sure, I guess he made the right call. But I'm not really willing to give a guy major props drafting a guy in the Top 5 when pretty much everyone had him projected in the Top 5.

That was the gist of my post. I wasn't "giving him props"....and after it was all said and done he stuck w/ Zinger, when they could've drafted a less than desirable pick.

btw: isn't PJ the same guy who also compared Steph Curry to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf earlier this yr??

:pound:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a HUGE Knicks fan but I just can't wrap my head around Phil Jackson being on vacation while top notch coaches are interviewing/signing elsewhere. I also don't get this whole attitude he has where the coach HAS to run principles of the triangle offense. Kind of limits our choices of coaches, no?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the gist of my post. I wasn't "giving him props"....and after it was all said and done he stuck w/ Zinger, when they could've drafted a less than desirable pick.

btw: isn't PJ the same guy who also compared Steph Curry to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf earlier this yr??

:pound:

Yeah, he did. I think he mentioned it on Twitter. Given his track record with tweets, he should just delete his account. It's not "goink" well

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow the Knicks very much, but didn't they improve their record a good amount? And how many offseasons has Phil Jackson had and how many drafts? I personally would see how they do this next season first. I did not like the Derek Fisher hire, so I'm glad he's gone.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest. He has not done anything without Jordan, Kobe, Shaq or any of the other superstars he somehow inherited.
Do you know how stupid this remark sounds? Before Phil Jackson none of those players had even went to the finals or won a championship. It took Phil Jackson too teach them a winning strategy that worked and hundreds of minute decisions in each game went into the each win in the regular season and the finals. You have no idea what you're talking about

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know how stupid this remark sounds? Before Phil Jackson none of those players had even went to the finals or won a championship. It took Phil Jackson too teach them a winning strategy that worked and hundreds of minute decisions in each game went into the each win in the regular season and the finals. You have no idea what you're talking about

I believe Shaq made a Finals appearance with Orlando before being coached by Phil Jackson.