• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PGA Championship starts today

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rory just made his 1st birdie of the tourney...now +3, cut looks like +2 right now...-7 leading...Grillo...young Euro I think....scrap that...Argentina he's from.

Rory is going to be in the hall of fame, but somebody needs to sit this kid down and ask him who he wants to be. A great golfer? or 1 of the greats?

There is no excuse what so ever for him to be missing cuts in a Major on a course like this, with the way he is swinging. No excuse. Yea, he has got putting problems but I see it more about him not thinking everything through.

..I also realized that I never see Rory talk to his caddie that much. Maybe that is the coverage but they don't seem to be a real tag team out there.

What really drive me nuts is that his idol is Tiger. Tiger never never never never never never went backwards in tournaments. I think Rory has missed more cuts already than Tiger did his whole career.

Rory, take your Jet and go see Tiger and suck on his brain .....he has spare time.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A nice finish for Phil after that ugly triple bogey at hole #1.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rory is going to be in the hall of fame, but somebody needs to sit this kid down and ask him who he wants to be. A great golfer? or 1 of the greats?

There is no excuse what so ever for him to be missing cuts in a Major on a course like this, with the way he is swinging. No excuse. Yea, he has got putting problems but I see it more about him not thinking everything through.

..I also realized that I never see Rory talk to his caddie that much. Maybe that is the coverage but they don't seem to be a real tag team out there.

What really drive me nuts is that his idol is Tiger. Tiger never never never never never never went backwards in tournaments. I think Rory has missed more cuts already than Tiger did his whole career.

Rory, take your Jet and go see Tiger and suck on his brain .....he has spare time.

I really have no idea what's wrong with Rory, as you said, his swing looks good, but his short irons and short game are just not up to standard for a top 3 talent on the planet...he's got plenty of time to sort this out and maybe a change in caddie wouldn't be a bad thing, but his putting really let him down this week.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A nice finish for Phil after that ugly triple bogey at hole #1.

As bad as it looked...it could've been far worse...he was very close to OB twice on that hole...that said, the silver lining was he had 17 holes to bring it back and to his credit, he did...kudos on that.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As bad as it looked...it could've been far worse...he was very close to OB twice on that hole...that said, the silver lining was he had 17 holes to bring it back and to his credit, he did...kudos on that.
He did recover well but he is only at even par today.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugliest looking greens I've ever seen at a Major. Dead grass everywhere.

Really? I've seen more baked out greens at several USO...the players are normally the tell all about the conditions, especially the greens and I heard more complaints about the USO LY...most of the guys seem to like the greens...probably because the rain soften them up...lol.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win for Jimmy Walker. Having the lead or a share of it for all 4 days of the tourney is impressive stuff and not caving in with Jason Day putting the pressure on yesterday was even more so. Although, visions of Jean Van de Velde when he sprayed that 3 (5?) wood waaay right on 18 when laying up seemed the most prudent thing to do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PGA 2016...Congrats to Jimmy Walker!

This makes 4 for 4, 1st time major winners...Kudos to Jason Day...did all he could do making eagle on the 72nd hole to keep you watching the last 15 mins.

I thought going for the green was a good play...even a bad shot would result in a par and that's basically what happened.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win for Jimmy Walker. Having the lead or a share of it for all 4 days of the tourney is impressive stuff and not caving in with Jason Day putting the pressure on yesterday was even more so. Although, visions of Jean Van de Velde when he sprayed that 3 (5?) wood waaay right on 18 when laying up seemed the most prudent thing to do.

I had a different thought on laying up vs going for it...there was no water, or anything up there to bring 6 into play...5 was always his number so 3 chances from around the green imo was just as sure as laying up.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PGA 2016...Congrats to Jimmy Walker!

This makes 4 for 4, 1st time major winners...Kudos to Jason Day...did all he could do making eagle on the 72nd hole to keep you watching the last 15 mins.

I thought going for the green was a good play...even a bad shot would result in a par and that's basically what happened.

And when was the last time you saw someone go iron, iron and then make an eagle putt in a major. That was pretty fantastic stuff right there.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a different thought on laying up vs going for it...there was no water, or anything up there to bring 6 into play...5 was always his number so 3 chances from around the green imo was just as sure as laying up.

You are laying in the middle of the fairway for a par 5 and all you have to do is par in. The last thing you want is to deal with is an unknown. You can control the shot to lay up, you can control the approach from 100 and change.

The unknown and what is not always under your control is the pitch from the rough around the greens. It is going to jump on me and I get a flier? ...Will I fail to commit at the last second and it comes up short into the bunker?

None of these questions come in to play from 130 yards laying in the middle of the fairway. he rolled the dice and he won but he could have kept the dice in his pocket.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are laying in the middle of the fairway for a par 5 and all you have to do is par in. The last thing you want is to deal with is an unknown. You can control the shot to lay up, you can control the approach from 100 and change.

The unknown and what is not always under your control is the pitch from the rough around the greens. It is going to jump on me and I get a flier? ...Will I fail to commit at the last second and it comes up short into the bunker?

None of these questions come in to play from 130 yards laying in the middle of the fairway. he rolled the dice and he won but he could have kept the dice in his pocket.

I agree the lay up was the prudent play...I just didn't think 3w was a bad play trying to make 5.

"none...but I'm not sure about "none"...because he took iron off the tee, he probably needs a 7 or 6 iron to get to a wedge 3rd...you would think a touring pro would hit a 25 yd wide area, but a nervous pull or push and maybe he's not in the FW.

imo the end result was he was going to have to two putt from 20-30'...even if he laid up from the FW, his approach would have not been flirting with the right side at all.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when was the last time you saw someone go iron, iron and then make an eagle putt in a major. That was pretty fantastic stuff right there.

The final round really showed me that Day truly is the best player in the world. Yeah, the eagle at 18 was outstanding, two early bogeys made him and after thought for a while, but the birdies on 9 & 11 to get him back in it made that eagle mean something....both were tough holes.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The final round really showed me that Day truly is the best player in the world. Yeah, the eagle at 18 was outstanding, two early bogeys made him and after thought for a while, but the birdies on 9 & 11 to get him back in it made that eagle mean something....both were tough holes.

If not for Rory, Day would be hands down my favorite player. I have gotten the wife into watching some golf over the years and she is Filipino. So we picked on Day years ago and have been pulling for him ever since.

Right now Day is Rory without the short game & putting shortcomings.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not for Rory, Day would be hands down my favorite player. I have gotten the wife into watching some golf over the years and she is Filipino. So we picked on Day years ago and have been pulling for him ever since.

Right now Day is Rory without the short game & putting shortcomings.

We've seen Rory, Spieth and now Day have runs that had HOF written all over them...FWIW, I think they all get in...but sustaining it for any length of time I think is the challenge. This happened in the 90s with Nick Price and Faldo, and Sutton/Couples/Love, etc. Norman sustained a high level, but just couldn't win many majors. That's what I think we'll look back on Tigers career and marvel with a family life, and all the shit he had going on behind the scenes...how did he do it? Jack's family life was more above board if you will and he had long stretches of not winning, but he lasted so long...another career to marvel at.

I think Rory is about to get married, I'm sure kids are in the plans...I would suspect the same for Jordan in a few years...Day had cross the hurdle and seems to be really on top of it, but his kids are young still...when they are grade school age and participating in sports, etc. themselves it'll be a lot harder to spend 8 hrs a day working on your game.

To your point in bold...exactly...I still think Spieth is the best putter on the planet, but the long game/short game and putter is why Day is #1.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've loved for Day to get this win, but congrats to Walker.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really like seeing all the other players like Spieth & Fowler congratulating Walker at the end of the tourney - very classy. He appears to be very well liked on the tour.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I've seen more baked out greens at several USO...the players are normally the tell all about the conditions, especially the greens and I heard more complaints about the USO LY...most of the guys seem to like the greens...probably because the rain soften them up...lol.
Too many dead spots. Too ugly. Great play by Jimmie Walker though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many dead spots. Too ugly. Great play by Jimmie Walker though.

I'm not saying the greens were cosmetically great, but if that's your critique of the PGA...the greens were ugly...okay.