• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pens News/Links

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the term. Six years puts him at 28 when this new deal ends. It buys out 2 of Maatta's theoretical UFA years from his rookie contract. It also avoids any potential for another team to come along and offer sheet Maatta if he remained a RFA.

I don't know if I like the amount, though. Klingberg from Dallas got a 4.25 million average on a seven year deal. Just $250,000 more on average compared to Maatta. Is Maatta in the same tier as Klingberg?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the term. Six years puts him at 28 when this new deal ends. It buys out 2 of Maatta's theoretical UFA years from his rookie contract. It also avoids any potential for another team to come along and offer sheet Maatta if he remained a RFA.

I don't know if I like the amount, though. Klingberg from Dallas got a 4.25 million average on a seven year deal. Just $250,000 more on average compared to Maatta. Is Maatta in the same tier as Klingberg?
Yeah, kind of agree

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, kind of agree

Some cap comparables from generalfanager. His deal doesn't look quite as concerning when some recent contracts are put up against his for a comparison. Maatta is every bit the player Jake Gardiner and Roman Josi are. His deal is right along side of them.

2hpu684.jpg

Just have to hope Maatta remains healthy. I think this deal is going to pay dividends in the long run. It looked dire losing both Orpik and Niskanen two seasons ago. But when a deal like this is made for a player that came from their own draft, you have to like how this worked out. Consider that Washington will still be paying Nisky and Orpik 11.5 million dollars a season three years from now when both will be aged 32 and 38 respectively. Maatta will be 24 and costing the Pens 1.5 million dollars a season less than either of the two. Factor in a similar contract for Dumoulin compared to Maatta's in a year or two, and now they're paying 8 million per for two guys below the age of 25.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens trade a 3rd round pick for Justin Schultz, and I do not like it. Schultz might be fine eventually, but he's not been very good so far, and we kind of need to build up through the draft again.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens trade a 3rd round pick for Justin Schultz, and I do not like it. Schultz might be fine eventually, but he's not been very good so far, and we kind of need to build up through the draft again.

Initially, when I heard this, I thought the same. Hate losing another pick in the 2016 draft. Now, JR has no 1st, two 2nds and no 3rd round picks.

However, there seems to be another move left to make, here. I'm wondering if Rutherford is considering moving Pouliot or Cole, because when Lovejoy comes back, there will be a glut of defensemen. Also, Sheary left yesterday's game, returned momentarily, and then left for good. I don't think Rutherford is quite done, yet. I bet he is still pursuing something.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as this is the only deal they make I don't mind. I can see them recouping a draft pick, albeit later round, when dealing Plotnikov tomorrow.

I really hope they don't trade Poliout, that would be majorly stupid for a team struggling for 8th place.

Overall, I enjoy watching this team, it's amazing what happens when you let the young guys play, and they develop, instead of slugs like Craig Adams, Daniel Winnik, Zack Sill, and Lapierre. I'm glad GMJR is realizing this.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Maata deal, I think he becomes a better offensive player as he ages. Defensemen develop late, so at 21 he still has major upside.

I don't think he is the skater that Josi and Klingberg are though, I think he can be a better defender though.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Maata deal, I think he becomes a better offensive player as he ages. Defensemen develop late, so at 21 he still has major upside.

I don't think he is the skater that Josi and Klingberg are though, I think he can be a better defender though.

I agree about Maatta. His upside is still pretty great. I think another camp and off-season to condition properly will help his foot speed. He definitely lost a step this season because of the two surgeries and thyroid issues that he dealt with over the past year and a half. He's said himself that he was prevented from training properly and added weight that he didn't have previously.

Maatta isn't a gifted skater like Klingberg and Josi, but I think he surpasses both of them when it comes to defensive instinct. It is so rare to see that kind of talent in a young defenseman so early on in his NHL career.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Initially, when I heard this, I thought the same. Hate losing another pick in the 2016 draft. Now, JR has no 1st, two 2nds and no 3rd round picks.

However, there seems to be another move left to make, here. I'm wondering if Rutherford is considering moving Pouliot or Cole, because when Lovejoy comes back, there will be a glut of defensemen. Also, Sheary left yesterday's game, returned momentarily, and then left for good. I don't think Rutherford is quite done, yet. I bet he is still pursuing something.

Lovejoy isn't really a reason to move somebody, but if anyone's getting moved, I'd assume it would be Cole.

Thinking more about the Schultz move, it might work out pretty well. He was over-exposed on a bad team in Edmonton, so playing on the second or third pairing should hide his flaws a lot more. I'd hesitate to pair him with Daley or Pouliot, though, but at the same time am not sure he deserves to slot right into the second pairing with Dumoulin before proving himself a bit. In any case, we'll have to pair two purely offensive defensemen together on the third pairing, which has a decent chance of working just fine with the team built as it is, given the speed all over the place, but which still makes me a little nervous.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Justin Schultz (for his offensive skills), but he's not the 2 way defender we need. Not bad for a $3.9 million cap hit tho.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding pat, save Schultz was the right move this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding pat, save Schultz was the right move this year.

Agreed, and I'm not certain Schultz was even necessary. I do like the upside, and don't think that 3rd is likely to turn into a better asset, especially since Schultz is still young and, if they want to, shouldn't be too hard to keep around for another year or two.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the only one 6 foot tall or over is Kunhackl...the rest are "midgets"

Pens have to be the shortest team in the NHL