• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peat

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford T Andrus Peat "is a big, physical run blocker, but there are concerns from some about his pass-protection abilities," noted NFL.com.
"He did not play all that well against Utah, which had four sacks against Stanford," added College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. "It will be interesting to compare his combine numbers with those of the other top linemen. Despite the concerns, Peat -- whose dad, Todd, was a guard in the NFL for six years -- could be the first tackle off the board." The 6-foot-6, 315-pounder started 26 consecutive games after taking over the starting left tackle job for the 2013 season opener. He is indeed a dynamic run blocker. Peat's propensity to stand up and lack assertiveness has led to struggles when he's on an island in pass protection, though we think those are issues that can be cleaned up.

Does anybody want this guy at #5?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford T Andrus Peat "is a big, physical run blocker, but there are concerns from some about his pass-protection abilities," noted NFL.com.
"He did not play all that well against Utah, which had four sacks against Stanford," added College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. "It will be interesting to compare his combine numbers with those of the other top linemen. Despite the concerns, Peat -- whose dad, Todd, was a guard in the NFL for six years -- could be the first tackle off the board." The 6-foot-6, 315-pounder started 26 consecutive games after taking over the starting left tackle job for the 2013 season opener. He is indeed a dynamic run blocker. Peat's propensity to stand up and lack assertiveness has led to struggles when he's on an island in pass protection, though we think those are issues that can be cleaned up.

Does anybody want this guy at #5?

I do

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Please explain. Taking an OT who is not good at pass blocking at #5 overall? Keep in mind that Jake Matthews went 6th overall last year and Peat is not as nearly as talented.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Please explain. Taking an OT who is not good at pass blocking at #5 overall? Keep in mind that Jake Matthews went 6th overall last year and Peat is not as nearly as talented.

First off I dont think its that e isnt good at pass blocking, Simply that he isnt an OUTSTANDING pass blocker.

Secondly, I would take him or Schreff at this point considering we only have ONE healthy OT on roster period.

Third, I doubt he could be as bad as the guys we have had at RT and just maybe people would stop bitching on how we never gave the QB a chance with our sub par O-line.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree RT must be upgraded this off season but these OT's in the draft have more questions than answers. Watch the Sheldon highlights. The guy goes sideline to sideline at his weight chasing down QB's like Mariotta. How could you not like this guy?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree RT must be upgraded this off season but these OT's in the draft have more questions than answers. Watch the Sheldon highlights. The guy goes sideline to sideline at his weight chasing down QB's like Mariotta. How could you not like this guy?

Oh I do like Sheldon. But I would like more the ability to tell people to STFU when they start making excuses for our QB on how we didnt give him an O-line. Add to it the fact that i think the defense is going to suck regardless, and why would I want us to waste a top five pick on a defensive player period.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I "think" I'll know more after the combine and pro-days.
I thought Fisher and Jockel were sure things at OT but it seems they haven't lived up to the hype.
I don't think this years class of OT are as talented.
That's why I'm more so open to NT, its safe...its a need and could possibly be the BPA when we draft.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you should never draft a guy to "shut up a crowd " you draft peat if you think he is the BPA . i think he will be a good OT but at 5 ? ehh

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you should never draft a guy to "shut up a crowd " you draft peat if you think he is the BPA . i think he will be a good OT but at 5 ? ehh

Being able to tell certain posters to STFU about how we never gave the QB a good line would just be a bonus. I think ANY defensive player at #5 would be a complete and total waste. Fix the O-line, worry about the defense next year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being able to tell certain posters to STFU about how we never gave the QB a good line would just be a bonus. I think ANY defensive player at #5 would be a complete and total waste. Fix the O-line, worry about the defense next year.

you do understand that the LOS on both sides of the ball this year are pretty deep dont you ? now db's not so much

i think you take the best players that can help you and understand that this is a rebuild and it will take time to field a competitive team year in and year out

fixing the LOS is key to fixing the team . o/line or bust is paramount to drafting for need and you get laoron landry's instead of patrick willis's

so if a good o/lineman is there at 5 take him if not move to another need or take the BPA

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peat is my guy, id take him at 5 ten times out of ten, he's a rt that can pass block.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm becoming convinced that an OT at 5, especially one that is projected as some to be a G, just isn't the smartest use of that pick. We can pick up a RT later in the draft. Remember, we also have Moses, although is injury is a question for this year. I really hope we find our selves in the cat seat and a couple of teams are vying for this pick so we can trade back. We need multiple talented players from this draft, not just one stud.

Also, the reason you don't take a G with a top 5 pick is that no matter how good they are, they really can't provide game impacting plays. You reserve your top pick in this situation for talent that is hard to come by, players that have the ability to impact the outcome of the game. This usually means skill players. QB, WR, OLB/DE, CB. This is also why a NT is usually not taken that high. A NT is a space eater in most 3/4 schemes, not a playmaker directly.

Now I'll sit back and watch how Dean twists my words into saying that I think Shelton sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I just want to know jy19 do you think Peat is worth the 5th pick overall? That is the whole point of this thread.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I just want to know jy19 do you think Peat is worth the 5th pick overall? That is the whole point of this thread.

Well, my opening sentence should have answered your question. At this point, I don't see any OT worth the 5th pick. This could change based on the combine and individual workouts, but at this point, no. I would feel more comfortable with an OT with a pick after 10 or even with our 2nd round pick.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm becoming convinced that an OT at 5, especially one that is projected as some to be a G, just isn't the smartest use of that pick. We can pick up a RT later in the draft. Remember, we also have Moses, although is injury is a question for this year. I really hope we find our selves in the cat seat and a couple of teams are vying for this pick so we can trade back. We need multiple talented players from this draft, not just one stud.

Also, the reason you don't take a G with a top 5 pick is that no matter how good they are, they really can't provide game impacting plays. You reserve your top pick in this situation for talent that is hard to come by, players that have the ability to impact the outcome of the game. This usually means skill players. QB, WR, OLB/DE, CB. This is also why a NT is usually not taken that high. A NT is a space eater in most 3/4 schemes, not a playmaker directly.

Now I'll sit back and watch how Dean twists my words into saying that I think Shelton sucks.

i think we need to get a good football players regardless what position he plays . if sherff can be a 10 year PB OG why worry about it ? dallas reached hugely for a center in round one and it has paid off 2PBs and an all pro selection .

no one is bemoaning that pick

this draft is weak in 1st round talent . it is pretty good 2-7 so value at number 5 might not be there so you may take a position you wouldnt ordinarily take

we need to take the best player we can if a trade down isnt available and not worry about "labels "

now j-y 19 you are 100% right that we can get a good RT or OG later on and that needs to be factored in when making the choice

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we need to get a good football players regardless what position he plays . if sherff can be a 10 year PB OG why worry about it ? dallas reached hugely for a center in round one and it has paid off 2PBs and an all pro selection .

no one is bemoaning that pick

this draft is weak in 1st round talent . it is pretty good 2-7 so value at number 5 might not be there so you may take a position you wouldnt ordinarily take

we need to take the best player we can if a trade down isnt available and not worry about "labels "

now j-y 19 you are 100% right that we can get a good RT or OG later on and that needs to be factored in when making the choice

Dallas didn't take a center with the 5th pick. If I remember correctly, it was a midround pick. That's fine. But with any pick in the top 5, you really should strive to get an exceptional Impact player. No matter how good a G ends up being, he will never make game changing plays.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas took that center with the last pick in round #1.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas took that center with the last pick in round #1.

Then you can't really use Dallas as a data point. Huge difference between the 5th pick and the 32nd pick.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelton is the safest pick at #5. There is no down side to this guy. All the other guys have major risks involved. Gregory, raw and injury prone. Ray, too small just a speed guy, not even 6'2 240 pounds and a liability in run defense. Peat, not a good pass blocker. Scherff, many say he has to move to OG b/c of pass blocking issues.

These are all major issues. What is the major issue with Shelton?