• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots bring in first CB since Revis left...and it's....

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
107 year old terrence newman

Terence Newman visited Vikings, visiting Patriots Tuesday | ProFootballTalk

Terence Newman visited Vikings, visiting Patriots Tuesday
Posted by Josh Alper on March 17, 2015, 6:43 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwyymwnmotezztawnjvkzdllytq5zwzky2e4nzjiyzi3-e1426588993766.jpeg
Getty Images
The Patriots have seen their starting cornerbacks from the Super Bowl leave for other teams in free agency and they’ll take a look at a potential addition to the group on Tuesday.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team will have veteran Terence Newman in for a visit. Newman, who turns 37 in September, said after the end of the Bengals season that he wasn’t sure whether he’d continue playing but he also visited the Vikings on Monday so it seems he’s decided to go for a 13th season.

If Newman signs, he’s going to be part of a team’s cornerback approach rather than a centerpiece of it. He hasn’t played 16 games in a season since he was with the Cowboys in 2010 and wound up getting replaced in the starting lineup for Cincinnati’s playoff loss in January. Newman did start the 13 games he played in the regular season, however, and his experience has its appeal for teams filling out their secondaries this offseason.

The Patriots have signed Chimdi Chekwa at corner since Darrelle Revis andBrandon Browner departed while the Vikings haven’t made an addition at the position yet.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
post-34100-The-Wedding-Singer-Adam-Sandle-uEne.gif

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call the engraver, looks like the Pats are going "Back to Back"!

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call the engraver, looks like the Pats are going "Back to Back"!
lol

the guy wants to retire!

jesus, whats going on. this team just won a god damn superbowl.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh please NO!!!!!!

Seriously..GTFO!

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw him play enough in Dallas. I don't want to see him wearing a Pats uniform.
good lord hes awful...and hes almost my fucking age for shits sake.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....oh c'mon now,.......we just won a ring,.....remember = in Bill we tru$t...!,......we're NOT the raiders for kri$t sake..!

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

the guy wants to retire!

jesus, whats going on. this team just won a god damn superbowl.

When you look at all of the defensive stats it's clear that Revis didn't make them an elite team on that side of the ball any more than they had been. I know it's sounds good to say that he was the key, but other than some great plays by Butler it was Brady, Edelman, Amendola and the offense that won the game. Not to say that the D was awful, but shutting down little Rusty Wilson and that pop gun Seattle offense ain't no big schwing.

I like the way BB has made moves to keep this team young (except Brady) and I expect them to be a serious contender again next season.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you look at all of the defensive stats it's clear that Revis didn't make them an elite team on that side of the ball any more than they had been. I know it's sounds good to say that he was the key, but other than some great plays by Butler it was Brady, Edelman, Amendola and the offense that won the game. Not to say that the D was awful, but shutting down little Rusty Wilson and that pop gun Seattle offense ain't no big schwing.

I like the way BB has made moves to keep this team young (except Brady) and I expect them to be a serious contender again next season.
oh, dont get me wrong...i believe they will be fine, and in the mix for yet another boston title of glory...but...revis was a key, but it wasnt truly a championship defense until they added browner. that combo was great.

i just done want any more james ihedigbos or sergio browns.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....oh c'mon now,.......we just won a ring,.....remember = in Bill we tru$t...!,......we're NOT the raiders for kri$t sake..!

hey Mother! Wondered where you been. Still celebrating?

I trust Bill but if he signs Newman that will take a hit. Guy is garbage.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, dont get me wrong...i believe they will be fine, and in the mix for yet another boston title of glory...but...revis was a key, but it wasnt truly a championship defense until they added browner. that combo was great.

i just done want any more james ihedigbos or sergio browns.

My point is that statistically they were still a mediocre defense and not really a shut down unit. You can bet that BB and his staff poured over the tapes and other metrics and felt that Revis and Browner cost too much for what they brought to the table.

Flacco carved them up, Joe fukin Flacco?

Rusty Wilson hit them for a bunch of long plays???? really??????

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might as well bring in this Newman while they're at it
th

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that statistically they were still a mediocre defense and not really a shut down unit. You can bet that BB and his staff poured over the tapes and other metrics and felt that Revis and Browner cost too much for what they brought to the table.

believe me, i know.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pats D was far from mediocre and Flacco is a good QB who had a good game.....up until the INT. Your need to call him and "Rusty" names says a lot.

We will miss Revis this year.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Volin: Can Patriots Defense Pick Up The Slack Without Revis? CBS Boston

Volin: Can Patriots Defense Pick Up The Slack Without Revis?
Toucher & RichMarch 17, 2015 10:27 AM
Share on emailView Comments
darrelle-revis1.jpg

Darrelle Revis #24, formerly of the New England Patriots. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

Related Tags:
Ben Volin, Darrelle Revis, New England Patriots, NFL, NFL Free Agency, Patriots, Toucher And Rich,Vince Wilfork
wbzfm_bio_toucher_rich.jpg
Toucher and Rich

Read More

BOSTON (CBS) - The Boston Globe’s Ben Volin called in to 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich show Tuesday morning to talk some Patriots and NFL free agency.

Barely a week old, New England has already lost some core players in free agency, most notably Vince Wilfork, Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner.

But according to Volin, there is good news.

“[Patriots] didn’t have a ton of free agents walking away from this team. This wasn’t like the Ravens two years ago when they won the Super Bowl and had to completely blow up the core of the team with free agents and guys retiring,” said Volin.

With Ndamukong Suh signing in Miami, Revis in New York and LeSean McCoy traded to Buffalo, the AFC East has gotten a lot tougher since the end of the 2014 season. However, New England still has the two most important people in the division.

“They still have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. That’s a pretty good start when you’re building a roster. With all the moves the AFC East teams have made, those two right there are the reason why the Patriots are still at the top of the division and they’re going to be the favorites next year.”

Looking at the roster, it’s hard not to like who’s coming back in 2015.

“They’ve got most of their offensive line back, and if they re-sign Dan Connolly that’s all five guys. Rob Gronkowski is going to be healthy. He’s not rehabbing this offseason. Julian Edelman and Brandon LaFell, we all know they can be fantastic pieces of the offense. Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Rob Ninkovich, Chandler Jones, Devin McCourty — they’ve still got the core of the Super Bowl team.”

Volin adds the Patriots probably aren’t too upset about losing Brandon Browner, but Wilfork and Revis are two players they will miss, although one is more replaceable than the other.

“Chris Jones, Sealver Siliga and Alan Branch can fill in and kind of do what Vince did anyways. It’s not like Vince put up major sack numbers or anything like that. Really, the only concern is can they get by without Darrelle Revis?

“They’re beefing up the pass rush; they went out and got Jabaal Sheard. I wouldn’t be surprised if they signed another defensive tackle and try to get more stout on the defensive line to kind of make up for any deficiencies they have in the secondary. There’s no question that the secondary is going to be worse without Revis, but maybe the defense as a whole can pick up the slack. If they get better on the front end they can still be a good defense next year.”

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats D was far from mediocre and Flacco is a good QB who had a good game.....up until the INT. Your need to call him and "Rusty" names says a lot.

We will miss Revis this year.

Lighten up Francis.

Flacco carved the defense up = not an elite defense.

The New England defense just plain wasn't elite with Revis & Browner. Any statistical category you want to check will tell you that. They won the SB on the back of their offense and a boneheaded play call by Pete Carroll.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't need to lighten up 'cause I ain't riled. I simply disagree with you and I won't get into any discussion that bothers with that tired old "elite" argument. Pats had their strongest D in years and season long, Revis was at the heart of it all.