• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pat Haden and Barry Alvarez Caught Yelling at Refs

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry's never claimed he is impartial about the Badgers. Indeed, he'll tell you he is partial. Jeff Long said as much about Arkansas, and I'm sure Luck and Haden would admit biases as well. That's why the system doesn't allow them to have any input on their own teams.

I don't get the problem here.

Clearly they could under-value some OTHER team(s), upon which they DO have input, if they felt it might positively impact their own teams/conferences.

I don't get how you overlooked that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I don't think active AD's should be on the committee. Second, what the hell does yelling at refs have to with being on the selection committee?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I don't think active AD's should be on the committee. Second, what the hell does yelling at refs have to with being on the selection committee?

The ADs should not be running onto the field from the press box to go and yell at the refs. That is why he pays the coach and coaching staff. It is just a horrible image to portray as an AD and especially a CFP committee member.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ridiculous that acting ADs are even considered for this position.

Bad idea from the start..you would think that someone would have said, "Does this create a possible conflict of interest?"

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For clarification, did USC's AD ever say who sent the text message for him to come to the field?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For clarification, did USC's AD ever say who sent the text message for him to come to the field?

Not that I have seen. Whoever that is should have their phone taken away if they are on the sideline again. It is Sarkisian's job to deal with the refs during a game. Once the game is over then it is up to Hayden to contact the Officiating Office with whatever complaints USC has.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I have seen. Whoever that is should have their phone taken away if they are on the sideline again. It is Sarkisian's job to deal with the refs during a game. Once the game is over then it is up to Hayden to contact the Officiating Office with whatever complaints USC has.

Yeah. Unless the text included something like a problem with the field or facilities I can't imagine why he would have paid attention to it.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly they could under-value some OTHER team(s), upon which they DO have input, if they felt it might positively impact their own teams/conferences.

I don't get how you overlooked that.

Doesn't every major conference have at least one voice on the committee? I don't see how it's a big concern. Plus, they will release a poll every week, and if it's crazy, the press and populace will throw a fit and correct the problems.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's frowned upon for any of the staff to use phones on the sidelines.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Unless the text included something like a problem with the field or facilities I can't imagine why he would have paid attention to it.

I would have loved for our new AD Stan Wilcox to run down on the field. He probably would be booed. He was a Notre Dame basketball player and worked at Duke during the Lacrosse debacle.

:lol:

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't every major conference have at least one voice on the committee? I don't see how it's a big concern. Plus, they will release a poll every week, and if it's crazy, the press and populace will throw a fit and correct the problems.

Yes, but some have two. The B1G has Alvarez and Tom Osboure. The PAC has Pat Hayden and Conaleeza Rice(Stanford). SEC has two Jeff Long (Chairman) and Archie Manning. Big 12 has 1 Oliver Luck(WVU), INdependents have 1 in Tyrone Willingham(Actually Pac could consider this one as well). ACC has 1 in Clemson's AD. The Air Force has 1. Then you have a writer, Big East COmmish, and a NCAA executive president.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes because coaches and sports writers aren't biased. :doh:

It's not so much about built in biases, it's about actively trying to influence game outcomes. Getting on the refs during a game, knowing you carry the weight of an athletic director is problematic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ADs should not be running onto the field from the press box to go and yell at the refs. That is why he pays the coach and coaching staff. It is just a horrible image to portray as an AD and especially a CFP committee member.

Whether an AD should be yelling at refs or not, or even be out of the press box has nothing to do with whether or not they are or should be on the playoff committee. These are 2 completely different issues that the media is trying to make fit together and some people are buying into it.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'll wait for the result of the system before I have an opinion.

I still want to be on the committee though. I'd love to trash up those meetings. I'd be OD.....he'd be my model.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether an AD should be yelling at refs or not, or even be out of the press box has nothing to do with whether or not they are or should be on the playoff committee. These are 2 completely different issues that the media is trying to make fit together and some people are buying into it.

It is an image issue only. With him being on the committee he should allow his coaches to do their job. Had he not liked the officiating then appeal to the conference once the game is over and in through the proper channel. That is all I am saying.

I would have preferred the committee be all RETIRED ADs and coaches, but it is what it is.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The text was from someone from USC's compliance department. According to Sark, he felt that if he had continued the conversation with the refs, he would have likely gotten a 2nd unsportsmanlike penalty, so he asked someone to ask Haden to come down to the sidelines and continue the conversation.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but some have two. The B1G has Alvarez and Tom Osboure. The PAC has Pat Hayden and Conaleeza Rice(Stanford). SEC has two Jeff Long (Chairman) and Archie Manning. Big 12 has 1 Oliver Luck(WVU), INdependents have 1 in Tyrone Willingham(Actually Pac could consider this one as well). ACC has 1 in Clemson's AD. The Air Force has 1. Then you have a writer, Big East COmmish, and a NCAA executive president.

There is a Duck in there as well.

Tom Jernstedt

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The text was from someone from USC's compliance department. According to Sark, he felt that if he had continued the conversation with the refs, he would have likely gotten a 2nd unsportsmanlike penalty, so he asked someone to ask Haden to come down to the sidelines and continue the conversation.

Eeh. That's on Sark and Haden then. TBH, though, I don't know if I could be that close to PAC refs without coming to yell at them. They do suck.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is an image issue only. With him being on the committee he should allow his coaches to do their job. Had he not liked the officiating then appeal to the conference once the game is over and in through the proper channel. That is all I am saying.

I would have preferred the committee be all RETIRED ADs and coaches, but it is what it is.

I still see it as separate issues.

If the issue is that AD's shouldn't be on the field yelling at refs, I agree.

If the issue is that active AD's shouldn't be on the playoff committee, I agree again.

But, if the issue is that only AD's who are on the selection committee shouldn't be on the field yelling at refs, then I disagree.