• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panthers waive Everette Brown

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would see what we can get out of him, but yeah something does appear up, why isn't anyone taking a flyer on him?

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does he really improve what we already have especially if he is one dimensional (pass rush only)? Now if you say he is the 2011 version of Fred Dean (or even 1/2 of what Dean was for the niners), then disregard my cynicism.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe now that we've cut Applewhite, and we only have 3 OLBs and 4 ILBs, we should cut one of our 6 safeties and sign Everette Brown.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe now that we've cut Applewhite, and we only have 3 OLBs and 4 ILBs, we should cut one of our 6 safeties and sign Everette Brown.

Repped! That makes a lot of sense to me. Even if he is a situational pass rusher, he would provide more to the team than one of our safeties. We would probably need him to fill in on Special teams somewhere, though.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The more I read into the Everette Brown situation, the more I think we should take a flyer on the guy.

He did register a few sacks for the Panthers, 2.5 and 3.5 in year 1 and 2.
That's not replacing Julius Peppers but it's better than 0 like Maybin or Gholston.

And with only 3 OLBs, all with problems, we should take a flyer on this guy.
Aldon is raw, Haralson sucks, and I'm starting to think Brooks plays in flashes when he's about to get a new contract, the last time Brooks was good was when he got the 2 year extension.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The more I read into the Everette Brown situation, the more I think we should take a flyer on the guy.

That's not replacing Julius Peppers but it's better than 0 like Maybin or Gholston.

And with only 3 OLBs, all with problems, we should take a flyer on this guy.
Aldon is raw, Haralson sucks, and I'm starting to think Brooks plays in flashes when he's about to get a new contract, the last time Brooks was good was when he got the 2 year extension.

Let me just point out that Brooks suffered a lacerated kidney prior to th start of last season that could have influenced his performance

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok that's a good point.

But Brooks has 1 year left. He could walk if some other team throws lots of money at him that the 49ers are not prepared to match.

And Haralson sucks, and Aldon is raw. Bottom line we need a 4th OLB.

Maybe Applewhite getting released was a sign we are going to get a 4th OLB eventually.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's a crazy thought... What if the Niners decide to convert Navorro Bowman as a situational pass rusher on passing downs and have Gooden take the ILB position with PW... Bowman does have pass rushing skills .. I know, I know.. It's just a crazy thought

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's a crazy thought... What if the Niners decide to convert Navorro Bowman as a situational pass rusher on passing downs and have Gooden take the ILB position with PW... Bowman does have pass rushing skills .. I know, I know.. It's just a crazy thought

That might be fine, but we are still very thin at linebacker.

Willis and Bowman are locked up long term. Grant and Gooden 1 year deals.

Aldon and Haralson are locked up long term. Haralson could get cut. Brooks has 1 year left.

We could use another young guy with potential signed to a multi year deal.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

And with only 3 OLBs, all with problems, we should take a flyer on this guy.Aldon is raw, Haralson sucks, and I'm starting to think Brooks plays in flashes when he's about to get a new contract, the last time Brooks was good was when he got the 2 year extension.

but at this point in the off-season, its no longer a flyer? we have to cut a player before adding Brown.

IMO its similar to Mays, Carolina doesn't cut Brown this soon unless its pretty obvious?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mays clearly couldn't play safety. Agility, decision making, he's a huge project.

But Everette Brown had 3.5 sacks last year, and 1 interception. Not crazy good numbers but ok.

It's not like he's a total bust like Gholston or Maybin who registered nothing.

I guess I don't understand what the NFL teams see in Everette Brown that he doesn't warrant another chance???

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mays clearly couldn't play safety. Agility, decision making, he's a huge project.

But Everette Brown had 3.5 sacks last year, and 1 interception. Not crazy good numbers but ok.

I guess I don't understand what the NFL teams see in Everette Brown that he doesn't warrant another chance???

don't know about Brown so not going to be adamant by any stretch. but again, you'll have to drop a player first, likely a 'core' special teams player?

Brown wasn't cut today, why haven't other teams shown interest?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Some team would take a chance on him soon... But to answer your question, I think his size is a factor. He is just under 6'2" and about 256 lbs. He is a bit undersized.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Some team would take a chance on him soon... But to answer your question, I think his size is a factor. He is just under 6'2" and about 256 lbs. He is a bit undersized.

Undersized by 1 inch and maybe 5 pounds. Does he get run on?

What's the negative about Brown, other than he's just shown to be mediocre?