• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panthers waive Everette Brown

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Everette Brown dropped by Panthers | ProFootballTalk

[I]Everette Brown dropped by Panthers

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 4, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT

Getty Images
In 2009, Panthers G.M. Marty Hurney traded a first-round pick away to draft defensive end Everette Brown in the second round. (They also picked up a fourth-round pick in the deal.

Just two years later, the Panthers gave up on Brown.

Adam Caplan of Sirius NFL Radio reports that the Panthers have waived Brown. He’s not a vested veteran, so don’t be surprised if a team or four claims him in an effort to turn his career around.[/I]

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. He was a popular topic.......

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the draft...when our spot came up and I started seeing his highlights I was kinda' excited...till I saw we had traded the pick. When I found out we had gotten a 1st I was happy, but I still wondered..."what if?" I'd like to find out for free now, but I doubt they bring him in.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
when our spot came up and I started seeing his highlights I was kinda' excited

His highlights were exactly what made me think he wasn't very good; his sack numbers were great but a lot of those sacks came off of blown protections rather than just beating his guy.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His highlights were exactly what made me think he wasn't very good; his sack numbers were great but a lot of those sacks came off of blown protections rather than just beating his guy.

True, I did like his burst though. He had explosion..might not have a fast 40 but those first few yards were good.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember imac was a big fan of his. I also liked him behind Brian Orakpo, but damn i would love to claim this guy and bring him in as a 3-4 OLB. It's funny that the Panthers actually wasted a 1st round pick on him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I never really saw Brown as an OLB. He has a chance to prove me wrong, but I think he's best suited as a DE & really isn't all that talented. He has a nasty spin move though. Should've been a dancer. :)

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really saw Brown as an OLB. He has a chance to prove me wrong, but I think he's best suited as a DE & really isn't all that talented. He has a nasty spin move though. Should've been a dancer. :)

He has a great spin move. That's his bread and butter. I just think he's too small to play DE. He's only 6'1 i believe.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't remember that. I remember a fantastic spin move.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At 6'1" 256 can he play ILB?

He's got to have more upside than guys like Constanza, Applewhite, and Colin Jones. Seems like a guy you'd want on the roster.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm actually surprised mroe DEs don't end up playing ILB in the pro's. Seems like it'd be easier than OLB.

Everette Brown, however, doens't seem like ILB material to me. Playing in space and taking on blockers ins't his forte IMO. I see him more as a poor man's Alex Brown. Might not ever be good enough to start in the NFL.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm actually surprised mroe DEs don't end up playing ILB in the pro's. Seems like it'd be easier than OLB.

Everette Brown, however, doens't seem like ILB material to me. Playing in space and taking on blockers ins't his forte IMO. I see him more as a poor man's Alex Brown. Might not ever be good enough to start in the NFL.

What's to be surprised about? ILB's need to be able to play sideline to sideline. The difference is lateral motion. DE are taught to go after QB's or drop down in zone coverage.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocking to see Brown let go so soon... must've really stunk in practice and gamedays.... Teams as of late aren't being patient with some of these prospects.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shocking to see Brown let go so soon... must've really stunk in practice and gamedays.... Teams as of late aren't being patient with some of these prospects.

We're like minded on that point. It has made me wonder (not that I didn't already) about some of our o'line decisions or lack thereof.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't find anything suggesting where he's been picked up off waivers. Anybody heard anything?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
from roto:
"Former Panthers DE Everette Brown passed through waivers unclaimed Monday and is now an unrestricted free agent.
Brown only had a $480K salary, so the league must know something about him we don't. The 43rd pick in the 2009 draft, Brown has flashed explosive rush ability but is a complete zero against the run. He needs to go to a 3-4 team.
Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter"