• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panthers asking for taxpayer money

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Doobster is a better fan of my team than most of you. Pens could tax me @ 50% before I would complain.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok maybe 50% is pushing it. 5-10% increase and I won't complain if it's for the Pens.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taxpayers across the country already lost that war, there is almost no way to keep a team without public financing at this point. It's a huge scam, but reality in 90% of situations.

I don't know about that. That tit may be running dry, look at the NFL and the blackout rule, They are being told You want the taxpayers to pay for your play house and when they don't fill it up they can't see the games? Now that the leagues have saturated the markets with teams they are going to run out of options unless we see teams moving like mad every ten years. There are communities that will pay to attract teams but the taxpayers are getting fed up with the cost of sustaining them.

What were big markets are getting smaller, not because they are losing population but the corporate base and taxpayers can't keep up with the incredible increase in cost to build and maintain these stadiums. I will use Ralph Wilson Stadium as an example because I am familiar with the numbers, Rich stadium was completed in 1973 for $22 million ( 80,000 seat stadium). The latest lease the Bills got $200,000,000 just for upgrades! The new stadiums and arenas are costing $400,000,000 plus to build (For hockey and Basketball) football stadiums are in the upper 100 million to over a billion. It's not a bottomless pit and esp with the world economy the way it is I do not see how this can continue without some sort of fall out. It has to happen sooner or later. The example of Rich stadium is incredible! Look at the percentage increase in cost.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so, like I have said about the salary cap you can't have increases like that and fans in markets they thought were safe just 10 years ago won't be in the near future. If you have multiple teams and they all want new venues it's not only small market's that will hurt it's the medium size one's that the fans better get nervous about too.

Oh and Doob, You will pay whatever they want? Be careful what you ask for because Pittsburgh is in that market size that will feel the crunch too.

Sorry for the babble but typing and doing some other things a the same time so if this is choppy that's why but I think you get my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Doobster is a better fan of my team than most of you. Pens could tax me @ 50% before I would complain.

At what tax rate going to education, crime fighting and basic services like fire, water and sanitation would you complain?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what tax rate going to education, crime fighting and basic services like fire, water and sanitation would you complain?

Don't worry, Doobee and the Doobster will pick up the tab. :nod:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They're not just taxing you though! If you're willing to pay more, they can capture that in the free market without forcing everyone else to do the same. I probably wouldn't object to chippng in a little more if it would really "save" the team in the city I was living in, I just don't believe that I have any right to force anyone else to do the same!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In Glendale (as you know 43), police, fire, and sanitation jobs were lost in order to keep a hockey team in the desert.

/where they are still drawing flies, by the way.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Dash they did save money by laying off parking attendants, concession people, vendors and ushers from the Jobing.com arena.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no that just means you are a gullible fool. if you would pay anything then you dont understand the game at all

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Dash they did save money by laying off parking attendants, concession people, vendors and ushers from the Jobing.com arena.

I wonder if you can still get two free tickets to a Yotes game with the purchase of a two-four at the AM/PM Boss. I think Matty was the one who posted the gif, I'll try to find it.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if you can still get two free tickets to a Yotes game with the purchase of a two-four at the AM/PM Boss. I think Matty was the one who posted the gif, I'll try to find it.

I think it was jstew I posted something similar on the immensely successful tampa bay lightning club.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest mistake the Panthers made (and it's the same mistake the Coyotes made) was building the new arena out in the suburbs. It's tough enough to get people to make a 45 minute+ commute to watch a winning team, let alone a team that struggles.

wrong they built the new arena where the fan base was. no one in miami cared about hockey, hell they dont even care about baseball.

Also, you want to have your arena downtown and close to other venues (other sports stadiums, hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, theaters etc.) to maximize the economic impact for the city.

they did this, its callled sawgrass mills.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those would have to be reduced to 0%. Sorry folks, Pens come first.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You keep missing the point.

I buy gear and tickets to games. Others shouldn't have to be taxed to provide an arena they can't visit without a charge. Taxes are for public goods and services - roads, police departments, government buildings, parks, etc. They shouldn't be used to pick and choose entertainment options that the public still has to pay (a lot of money) to enjoy.

In DC, both FedEx and Verizon Center were built with private funds and have sustained profitable businesses. If the public/city/county/etc. buys the stadium and leases it to either break even or turn a profit, that's fine. But if you look at Nats' Park, the city paid $670 million to the building cost (more than 90%) and gets back only $5.5 million in rent a year. Jesus Christ - the Nats are paying more to Jayson Werth than they are to the city for the STADIUM it built.

Good fans go to games, support their team, etc. They don't ask others in their community to pay for the facilities of a private business they themselves enjoy.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take exception to that. I have a big problem with companies/corporations that largely make millions (and 100s of millions) asking for public funds to run their business. When FedEx needs to build a distribution facility, they don't ask the public to pay for half the construction costs. If there are subsidies needed, the league should distribute those costs in a way that works among them. When a city doesn't support a team enough to make it viable, there is no sense adding insult to injury by taxing them to support the thing they already aren't using.

No, instead they put it out to a competitive bid to see which city/county/state can put together the best package of incentives for tax breaks, relocation costs, etc.

(Maybe not FedEx specifically, but huge, profitable companies do this all the time.)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, instead they put it out to a competitive bid to see which city/county/state can put together the best package of incentives for tax breaks, relocation costs, etc.

(Maybe not FedEx specifically, but huge, profitable companies do this all the time.)

BOING!!! I mean BOEING!!! I mean BINGO!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, which is also bullshit.