• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Packers vs . S Hawks , the late hit call?

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the Packers not get the extra 15 yards on the late hit penalty when Seattle made a late hit on a Packer player when the ball carrier was down and the play was over? Why wasn't this an additional 15 yards and a dead ball foul. This was clearly down after the play. I simply didn't understand how the commentators said that Green Bay would automatically decline it. I watched as much football as anyone I know and don't understand that call. Seemed like a huge mistake by the officials.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it didn’t occur after the play, what exactly was the penalty? Because the only thing that could make it a penalty is it being a late hit, by definition occurring after the play ended. If it was not a late hit then it was simply a guard blocking a defensive player.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB declined the penalty because Seattle was already facing 2nd and 31 ( I think) so they didn't want to give them the extra down is my guess.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my question is why wasn't it a dead ball foul?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thought this was gonna ask why Clay didn't get a 15 yarder when he piled on a sliding wilson.....

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad and I were talking on the phone when that play happened and we were wondering the same thing. I am curious to know if they misapplied the rules there, but this is the last game I am going to blame the refs for.

I still feel sick over this game. I think I am going to go drink some more.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a botched call. The play was over when Wilson hit the ground and the PF should have been a dead pall foul.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shh, stop feeding him wazzu.

I was merely asking a straight forward question. Are you fucking kidding me? I'm not blaming the refs for the loss. Merely asking about a particular call.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a botched call. The play was over when Wilson hit the ground and the PF should have been a dead pall foul.

no, these quarterbacks that slide last second when the defender is in the air also need to be penalized, I think its called embelishment in the nhl. Clay was in the air, there was not way he could stop, but he did let up and extend his arms to catch his weight instead of landing on wilson.

these quarterbacks are being pampered enough, they are all pushing the rules.

I believe Wilson got a late hit as well in the pocket, that was the hit that woke him up.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was merely asking a straight forward question. Are you fucking kidding me?

Dude don't worry about it. Totally legit point and it was a blown call. Wilson was already down when the hit was made so it obviously should have been a dead ball foul.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, these quarterbacks that slide last second when the defender is in the air also need to be penalized, I think its called embelishment in the nhl. Clay was in the air, there was not way he could stop, but he did let up and extend his arms to catch his weight instead of landing on wilson.

I believe Wilson got a late hit as well in the pocket, that was the hit that woke him up.

I think you have the wrong call. It was the one where Wilson was sacked and the blocker speared the tackler afterwards. It was 15 yards on the Seahawks and because the play was over when Wilson hit the ground it should have been a dead ball foul. Maybe it's because the whistle hadn't blown yet or something.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the response. Hats off to the Seahawks and their coaches for not giving up. Plenty blame to go around on the Packers side. I was surprised today when I found out Bostic was on the field soley to block for Jordy Nelson making the catch on the onside. Bostic will burden the blame but there is plenty of blame to go around including the coaches. It was a team meltdown. Unfortunately Bostic was be the big scapegoat.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That should have been a penalty too. He clearly made contact with Wilson's head.

You can disagree with the rule but it is still a rule. And Clay made contact to the head of a sliding QB.

As far as the OP:

I have no idea what the refs were thinking by not tacking that penalty on to the loss.

My guess:
1) They really screwed up.
2) they purposefully screwed up thinking the call was a little ticky-tack and didn't want to add on the yardage to the already huge loss.

But it should have been 2nd and 46 instead of 2nd and 31.

But it wouldn't have mattered: Pete would have just called a fake punt for a TD instead of a fake FG for one later in the drive. :pound:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should have been a penalty too. He clearly made contact with Wilson's head.

You can disagree with the rule but it is still a rule. And Clay made contact to the head of a sliding QB.

As far as the OP:

I have no idea what the refs were thinking by not tacking that penalty on to the loss.

My guess:
1) They really screwed up.
2) they purposefully screwed up thinking the call was a little ticky-tack and didn't want to add on the yardage to the already huge loss.

But it should have been 2nd and 46 instead of 2nd and 31.

But it wouldn't have mattered: Pete would have just called a fake punt for a TD instead of a fake FG for one later in the drive. :pound:

Maybe it was because the refs didn't whistle the play dead yet. That's the only legit reason I can think of.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your right it was a dead ball foul. 15 yards should have been tacked on and it would have been like a 2nd and 46

France_Steve

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe it was because the refs didn't whistle the play dead yet. That's the only legit reason I can think of.

this sounds right to me. It was either becaue the play was considered live because the wistle had not been blown, or they screwed up. I can't think of anything else.