• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys had a great year vs preseason expectations. Congrats. Maybe you finally have a coach who will get shit together there.
I was on the Herm Train since day one. I like his style. I do not see him there more than 3 years.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, this is the first time I’ve watched Utah since their QB and running back went down. Lol @ Oregon loosing to these fools.
Yikes, just turned over to the game. BYU is blowing the doors off of Utah? :laugh:

But but but, they like their backup QB more than Huntley!

God this conference is just so full of garbage right now. :tsk:

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, just turned over to the game. BYU is blowing the doors off of Utah? :laugh:

That guy is bad. I’m sure he seems okay at first because there’s only so far down you can go from Huntley, but he’s skipping swing passes and is just clearly out of place. We knew their offense was bad though, they’re making BYU look like they have a pretty solid offense on top of it. Don’t know where that’s coming from.

Maybe just thinking about next week. Who knows.

If you’re gonna be part of a garbage heap, might as well be on top of it, is what I always say.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guy is bad. I’m sure he seems okay at first because there’s only so far down you can go from Huntley, but he’s skipping swing passes and is just clearly out of place. We knew they’re offense was bad though, they’re making BYU look like they have a pretty solid offense on top of it. Don’t know where that’s coming from.

Maybe just thinking about next week. Who knows.

If you’re gonna be part of a garbage heap, might as well be on top of it, is what I always say.
When they scored that TD a second ago they said that was the first points for their offense today... 40s left in the 3rd quarter. It's worse than I though. I mean I genuinely feel bad for their team and fans. Few teams can carry on after losing their QB, but wow is this bad. And wow is Oregon bad for losing to them. Petersen is going to bend them over and bounce their heads off the side wall for 60 minutes next week.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

um Utah won

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have something to do with it, maybe not much, but I’d imagine coaches might have a little interest in at least knowing who their AD’s boss is.

Now that part, I agree. Whether it's the right thing or not, a lot of times folks like to bring "their guys". For the President of a university, that can include the AD. If whoever the President ends up being decides he wants to replace Swann...now you have a coach with an AD that didn't hire him.

Again, probably doesn't have too much of an effect, but it definitely may cause some guys to think twice.

I doubt an interim President is wanting to sign off on a multimillion dollar salary hire.

This, more than anything, may be what saves Helton's job. That and the fact that by all accounts, Helton is just a really decent guy. It's funny, I was reading an article by one of the more cynical writers out here, a guy who rips everybody...even he couldn't really criticize Helton and said he's handled everything with "uncommon decency".

Don't know that it means much, but Helton said that after the game last night, Swann hugged him and said "Coach, there will be better days ahead".

Apparently, there's supposed to be some kind of announcement re: Helton in the next few days.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helton may yet keep his job, but this is the first time USC has failed to finish at or above .500 since Hackett's last year in 2000. It's just the 4th time it has happened since the early 1960's. Presumably they have had other seasons with young players, injuries, and the rest that comes with college football teams yet finishing at just 5 wins or less has only happened now 4 times in 50+ years.

If he is kept simply because of turmoil in the presidents office he's beyond a lame duck coach. So many trickle down implications. Hard to get high profile kids to commit when there is little reason to believe his staff will be there for their full 3-5 years of time on that campus.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helton may yet keep his job, but this is the first time USC has failed to finish at or above .500 since Hackett's last year in 2000. It's just the 4th time it has happened since the early 1960's. Presumably they have had other seasons with young players, injuries, and the rest that comes with college football teams yet finishing at just 5 wins or less has only happened now 4 times in 50+ years.

If he is kept simply because of turmoil in the presidents office he's beyond a lame duck coach. So many trickle down implications. Hard to get high profile kids to commit when there is little reason to believe his staff will be there for their full 3-5 years of time on that campus.

It's an interesting situation with Helton.

Yes, this is the first time since Paul Hackett's final season that USC has finished below .500. But the similarities end there.

Under Hackett, they were 8-5 his first season, 6-6 his 2nd season and 5-7 his final season.

With Helton, they won 10 games and the Rose Bowl in his first season and 11 games and the PAC-12 last year.

What works against him is that he is 12-13 without Sam Darnold at QB and 9-11 against top 25 ranked teams. It also doesn't help that the reception from a lot of boosters etc. was lukewarm at best when it was announced that he would be the full time coach.

So far, it doesn't look like it's costing them any recruits (at least I haven't heard of anyone decommitting).

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, this is the first time since Paul Hackett's final season that USC has finished below .500. But the similarities end there.

Under Hackett, they were 8-5 his first season, 6-6 his 2nd season and 5-7 his final season.

With Helton, they won 10 games and the Rose Bowl in his first season and 11 games and the PAC-12 last year.

What works against him is that he is 12-13 without Sam Darnold at QB and 9-11 against top 25 ranked teams. It also doesn't help that the reception from a lot of boosters etc. was lukewarm at best when it was announced that he would be the full time coach.

So far, it doesn't look like it's costing them any recruits (at least I haven't heard of anyone decommitting).
That's the key though. His early record off someone else's kids really don't mean much when a couple of years later he is going below the mendoza line of college football for a team that historically doesn't do that even when faced with the same challenges Helton had.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ASU is (in my mind not 2nd in the South but 1st) since we beat Utah LOL. I really would have liked to see ASU in the Championship game. What things could have become...….

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after the worst hangover of my entire I decided to get up today. Fuck you Mutts, but you guys had a good game.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like Helton will stay, if this is correct.

AND, personally, I am okay with this. As long as he cleans up his coaching staff, we will get back on track. We shall see... :nod:

USC Sticking with Clay Helton

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I'm sure most of the rest of us in the Pac12 are happy Helton is staying which should say something.