• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had high expectations for the WSU offense as always, but it's the defense that has surprised me. I recall that WSU was having huge depth issues on the defensive line and a number of players left the program before the season started.

I do really like Mike Leach honestly. It may make me less of a Husky fan, but I always root for WSU unless they're playing UW.

I was completely different. I thought the defense had enough talent to keep us in most games and had zero expectations for the offense. All we had coming back on offense was a receiving RB, A T, a C and a white a lot receiver. I would’ve bet any person that a guy who was Josh Allen esq at ECU would come in and become Baker Mayfield

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was completely different. I thought the defense had enough talent to keep us in most games and had zero expectations for the offense. All we had coming back on offense was a receiving RB, A T, a C and a white a lot receiver. I would’ve bet any person that a guy who was Josh Allen esq at ECU would come in and become Baker Mayfield

I recall reading about how phenomenal Gardner Minshew looked in camp. I might be oversimplifying it, but he turned down an offer to transfer to Alabama to come to WSU.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree a big part of the problem has been the Oline and Calloway. And I do think everyone knew their was a push for Helton to fire Calloway. But he didnt want to because they're close friends. My guess is Swann gave him the push to fire Calloway.

But theres other problems aside from the Oline. While it may play a factor in the play calling. The play calling has been terrible in general. If the Oline is an issue you don't go for it on 4th and 2 before the half i.e. Stanford. Or 4th and 1 down by 3 late etc...A lot of it does fall on Clay and Tee. I believe this was Swanns way of giving them both one more chance.

SC has also had major discipline issues both on and off the field. Ie Bolden,Lewis,etc before the season. Personal fouls, Wr's running into WR's. A lot of their problems fall on the coach. At times Helton is entirely too complacent. He's a nice guy yes.. But SC doesn't need a nice guy they need a coach imo. Someone who can get the most out of the talent

That said SC probably beats UCLA and or ND and saves his job. The same way he got the job

The coaching has been bad for two years now and they got bailed out last year and the year before by having kids like Juju and darnold who were just better than most which masked the problems. Now when they really needed to coach and scheme they were shown to be what they are . Either incompetent or over matched. Tee might be a good play caller one day but right now he's horrible. He's learning checkers against guys playing chess. At least we know Clay will have to hire some top notch assistants or he's gone. I'm good with either if it fixes the problem.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall reading about how phenomenal Gardner Minshew looked in camp. I might be oversimplifying it, but he turned down an offer to transfer to Alabama to come to WSU.

Well during camp every year every QB looks good with Leach. Everyone I talked to said Minshew didn’t really seem much better than any of the rest but he had the leadership quality whatever that meant. But the entire offense is different, when Luke made a mistake he would be so over cautious and would stall drives and start the snowball affect of nearly every single loss of his career. Minshew says f it I’ll do it again and beat you with it.

Minshew was a grad transfer who was going to Alabama to be eligible to be a GA for next year. He had no intention of actually playing until Leach offered him is what I heard, not that he chose us over Bama just we were the only school that offered him a spot to play. And if he does get invited to NY it is kind a cool little story line that he was suppose to be semi coaching the guy standing next to him.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may make me less of a Husky fan, but I always root for WSU unless they're playing UW.
Yeah, uh no. There are certainly plenty of Husky fans that do hate WSU, but there are a lot more of us that only laugh when the do lose or otherwise only root against them when it benefits us than you think.

I had my step dad who went to both schools, but considers himself a coug, over to the house to watch the WSU/Duck game and we were both yelling at the TV in that 3rd quarter lol.

You'd be less of a Husky fan if you ever rooted for Oregon, and I'm sure there's no chance of that so you are good to go. :thumb:

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the kids on this roster have never played on a team that had lost 3 games in the regular season. Our effort against Stanford will speak volumes as to how this team and coaching staff will rebound.

That being said, I do expect UW will win but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost. If this season has been any indication, the offense isn't capable of putting up a lot of points.

If you look at UW against PAC-12 competition:
@ Utah: Win by 14 points
vs. ASU: Win by 7 points
@ UCLA: Win by 7 points
@ ORE: Loss by 3 points
vs. Colorado: Win by 14 points
@ CAL: Loss by 2 points

Point differential there is +37. Average of + 6.17. I think taking the under after a demoralizing loss is pretty easy. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

If they lose because their constant woes we've seen all year that's one thing, but if the players just quit on the season, well, they better not.

I know fans and media have turned with how last week went, I know the stadium will be Sark era full, but with all the favors oregon has done for us the last couple weeks, they still don't need any help to get in the conference title game. If knowing you control your destiny to a rose bowl isn't enough for you to get your head right and play hard, get the fuck out.

That said, yeah... They've always seemed to bounce back from losses really well, but that wasn't so much a loss as a total fucking meltdown on all levels. Gotta be tough for the coaches to hold them accountable at practice when they so glaringly got their own shit to answer for. Be interesting to see how this one goes.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they lose because their constant woes we've seen all year that's one thing, but if the players just quit on the season, well, they better not.

I know fans and media have turned with how last week went, I know the stadium will be Sark era full, but with all the favors oregon has done for us the last couple weeks, they still don't need any help to get in the conference title game. If knowing you control your destiny to a rose bowl isn't enough for you to get your head right and play hard, get the fuck out.

That said, yeah... They've always seemed to bounce back from losses really well, but that wasn't so much a loss as a total fucking meltdown on all levels. Gotta be tough for the coaches to hold them accountable at practice when they so glaringly got their own shit to answer for. Be interesting to see how this one goes.
I don't think it's as much about the kids giving up or anything like that, it's more how much confidence can they still be expected to have and play the way they need if they have early issues? You can't have kids trying to do too much. They have to play their game and stay in their assignments etc. The danger is letting things get in your head. And no matter how much we want to say that can't happen at this level, it certainly does or at least can.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's as much about the kids giving up or anything like that, it's more how much confidence can they still be expected to have and play the way they need if they have early issues? You can't have kids trying to do too much. They have to play their game and stay in their assignments etc. The danger is letting things get in your head. And no matter how much we want to say that can't happen at this level, it certainly does or at least can.
Of course. I'm not suggesting they better not fall apart, that might happen. I was specifically responding to his comment about their effort. Maybe a fine line between lack of effort and just melting down, but you can usually distinguish between the two.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. I'm not suggesting they better not fall apart, that might happen. I was specifically responding to his comment about their effort. Maybe a fine line between lack of effort and just melting down, but you can usually distinguish between the two.
There's less than zero chance they mail it in. Derp it up? Sure, but not mail it in.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well during camp every year every QB looks good with Leach. Everyone I talked to said Minshew didn’t really seem much better than any of the rest but he had the leadership quality whatever that meant. But the entire offense is different, when Luke made a mistake he would be so over cautious and would stall drives and start the snowball affect of nearly every single loss of his career. Minshew says f it I’ll do it again and beat you with it.

Minshew was a grad transfer who was going to Alabama to be eligible to be a GA for next year. He had no intention of actually playing until Leach offered him is what I heard, not that he chose us over Bama just we were the only school that offered him a spot to play. And if he does get invited to NY it is kind a cool little story line that he was suppose to be semi coaching the guy standing next to him.

Interesting. Wish there was the useful response outside the political forum.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, uh no. There are certainly plenty of Husky fans that do hate WSU, but there are a lot more of us that only laugh when the do lose or otherwise only root against them when it benefits us than you think.

I had my step dad who went to both schools, but considers himself a coug, over to the house to watch the WSU/Duck game and we were both yelling at the TV in that 3rd quarter lol.

You'd be less of a Husky fan if you ever rooted for Oregon, and I'm sure there's no chance of that so you are good to go. :thumb:

My grandfather went to UW and WSU and my father went to WSU and Seattle U.

My grandfather was always a Husky fan and my dad is a much bigger UW fan because of me despite him attending WSU. He doesn't really keep up with the Cougs very much. He also gets most of his sports information through me so it would make sense, lol.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
congrats man #8. Wazzu has sucked for along time. Keep the PAC 12 proud.
They have been solid the last few though with Leach going 9, 8, 9 wins the last 3 and now with the current season.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still gives UW a nod in likelihood over the cougs despite their easier schedule and the AC at home.

Not that I put much stock in ESPN's FPI.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Utah have the south locked up? I don’t feel great about it being up to UW to keep Utah from their first conference win if they somehow get there. That game would probably end in a 4-3 UW loss...

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Utah have the south locked up? I don’t feel great about it being up to UW to keep Utah from their first conference win if they somehow get there. That game would probably end in a 4-3 UW loss...
Or maybe or 18-3 if Browning’s benched for Haener to shine and throw two touchdowns to the other team.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe we do If we beat ASU and Colorado loses this weekend