• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our predictions for the Big 10- 2017

Who's gonna win the Big 10 this time around?

• Michigan

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Penn State

• Wisconsin

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Minnesota

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan

Preview segment: The Michigan Wolverines

Last season: Michigan had made their first major-league bowl game in 6 seasons. They had the #1-ranked defense in the country. And they had 11 future NFL players on their roster. So why were Michigan fans disappointed in 2016?
Maybe it was the fact that they lost 3 games by a combined margin of 5 points. But at least Jim Harbaugh achieved Step #2 of his rebuilding phrase: Get Michigan's expectations back to "sky-high" standards.

Bad news: Let me repeat this fact for you: Michigan lost 11 players to the NFL! Not even Alabama had that many! So you WILL see some growing pains in Ann Arbor, especially on the offensive line.

Good news: There ARE some good players left, like RB Chris Evans and safety Josh Metellus. And the raw talent on the D-line might just be enough for the defense to rank in the Top 20 again.

Key games:
9/2 vs. Florida [in Arlington, TX] (It'll be low-scoring, it'll be brutal, and maybe it'll be what Jim Harbaugh wants to see.)
10/7 vs. Michigan State (...Look, we all know what happened the last time Michigan State went to Ann Arbor.)
10/21 @ Penn State (Maybe the hardest game Michigan will have all season... if only because Penn State will remember that 49-10 beatdown from a year ago.)
11/18 @ Wisconsin (By this time, Michigan SHOULD have their passing game running on all cylinders... which is what they'll need to beat the Badgers.)
11/25 vs. Ohio State (As if you need an explanation.)

Bottom line: Look. Whether they struggle and only get 7 or 8 wins, or somehow surprise Ohio State for the Big 10 East title, don't be surprised at what Michigan does in 2017; Jim Harburgh is that kind of coach. But, replacing all those players certainly won't be easy...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana

Preview segment: The Indiana Hoosiers

Last season: Things weren't too bad at Indiana last year. I mean, the Hoosiers made their 2nd-straight bowl game... something that haven't happened since the early 90's. And yet due to "philosophical differences", coach Kevin Wilson was let go... or did he resign?
Anyway, new head coach Tom Allen is looking to have the Hoosiers aim a little higher.

Good news: Wait a second... Is Indiana's defense actually going to be better than it's offense this year? That might be the case with 9 starters from 2016's unit coming back, including CB Rashard Fant. On offense, Richard Lagow is back for one more year...

Bad news: ...but he's GOT to cut back on his interceptions. Questions on the O-line and in the running game won't help the offense out, either.

Key games:
8/31 vs. Ohio State (The last time the Big 10 had a conference game this early in the season was in 1996. But Ohio State's awesome D may ruin the fun of it for Indiana.)
9/9 @ Virginia (Regardless of what happens, this visit to Charlottesville will be critical for Indiana's psyche.)
10/21 @ Michigan State (Indiana snapped a 7-game losing streak to the Spartans in last year's 24-21 thriller. Now can the Hoosiers hold on to the "Old Brass Spittoon"?)
11/25 @ Purdue (The last 3 games of the season are all very winnable for Indiana, including this finale against the Boilermakers.)

Bottom line: Tom Allen is looking for a push upwards from Indiana this season, but Kevin Wilson will be missed. However, if the offense can match it's yardage totals from last year, maybe Indiana can make it's 3rd-straight bowl game this year... and I don't think that's EVER been done in Bloomington.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State

The last preview segment for the Big 10: The Ohio State Buckeyes

Last season: For this preview, I wanted to go back to the archives of that Japanese product known as "Touhou". But then I changed my mind. Mainly because Ohio State fans are not in the mood for any games after what happened in that Fiesta Bowl against Clemson.
So I guess the big question is: How will Ohio State recover from that?

Good news: Let's start with J.T. Barrett, and then work our way up. The O-line has stars like Jamarco Jones, and oh lord, the Buckeyes's defense looks NASTY. In particular, they got maybe their best defensive line in school history!

Bad news: Even with Barrett at the helm, the Buckeye passing game needs to get a lot better. That won't be easy to do with WR Curtis Samuel no longer here.

Key games:
9/9 vs. Oklahoma (There ARE some good seats left for this huge encounter. And don't forget: Beating Oklahoma gave Ohio State the edge to make the playoff last season over Penn State and Wisconsin.)
10/14 @ Nebraska (...Just know that Nebraska didn't like getting pounded by you guys 62-3.)
10/28 vs. Penn State (Speaking of Penn State, here comes the BIG rematch between the two. And good news for Ohio State; they get 2 weeks of prep for this [while the Nittany Lions don't]!)
11/25 @ Michigan (Again, do you really need an explanation?)

Bottom line: :yawn: With that defense ready to go in Columbus and J.T. Barrett at the helm for one more year, I see yet another "New Year's Six" bowl for Ohio State at the very least. But if the Buckeyes wanna make the CFP again, Urban Meyer needs to make chicken salad out of whatever that Fiesta Bowl was 7 months ago.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 10 predictions

And now before I join your bitter rivals over on the West Coast, let's see who'll go where in the Big 10 this year:

Big 10 East:
1. Penn State (Conference champs, Maybe playoff)
2. Ohio State ("New Year's Six" bowl game)
3. Michigan
4. Maryland
5. Michigan State
6. Indiana
7. Rutgers

Big 10 West:
1. Wisconsin (Maybe "New Year's Six")
2. Northwestern
3. Nebraska
4. Iowa
5. Minnesota
6. Purdue (via head-to-head tiebreaker)
7. Illinois

Now I'm off to preview the last conference on my schedule: the PAC-12 (Starting Monday)!

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would ordinarily go with.
1. Wisconsin
2. Nebraska
3. Ohio State
4. Penn State.
5. Who the fuck cares.
boo-gif-880.gif

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 10 predictions

And now before I join your bitter rivals over on the West Coast, let's see who'll go where in the Big 10 this year:

Big 10 East:
1. Penn State (Conference champs, Maybe playoff)
2. Ohio State ("New Year's Six" bowl game)
3. Michigan
4. Maryland
5. Michigan State
6. Indiana
7. Rutgers

Big 10 West:
1. Wisconsin (Maybe "New Year's Six")
2. Northwestern
3. Nebraska
4. Iowa
5. Minnesota
6. Purdue (via head-to-head tiebreaker)
7. Illinois

Now I'm off to preview the last conference on my schedule: the PAC-12 (Starting Monday)!

boo-gif-880.gif

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 10 East:
1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
3. Michigan
4. Michigan State