• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our predictions for the Big 10- 2017

Who's gonna win the Big 10 this time around?

• Michigan

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Penn State

• Wisconsin

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Minnesota

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't count out PSU so easily.
They are definitely better than they have been...but, they got a lot of breaks last year. Those things tend to even out over time.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State

The first preview segment for the Big 10 Conference: The Michigan State Spartans

Last season: Let's not sugarcoat this any longer; the last 10 months have been absolutely rubbish for Michigan State. Granted, I knew it was gonna be hard to replace Connor Cook, but JEEZ! From 12 wins in 2015 to only 3 in 2016... :L
Then things got even worse during a bad offseason when 4 players were dismissed due to investigations into assault. Now with Big 10 media days just around the corner, let's see how exactly Mark Dantonio and the team will fix this mess.

Good news: QB Brian Lewerke should be all better after suffering a broken leg last season, and his play-making ability will help the offense out. LJ Scott is back as a premier RB, and watch for LB Chris Fray to lead a good linebacker corps.

Bad news: We've got youngsters on the O-line, the secondary, and in the kicking game. Most importantly, can someone find Michigan State a pass-rush? ANYbody?

2017 X-factor: Youth- Here's the thing, though. Most of those trouble areas have a number of young players filling in. And if these youngsters emerge as solid players, that could be the ticket back to the top for the Spartans.

Key games:
9/23 vs. Notre Dame (The Irish also has some young talent [but also a few holes to fill], so this should be another good one.)
10/7 @ Michigan (See above game, but substitute Michigan for Notre Dame.)
10/21 vs. Indiana (This looks weird, yes, but think about it. When Indiana shocked Michigan State for the "Old Brass Spittoon" last year 24-21, it sent the Spartans on that epic tailspin. This will be a key game for MSU's psyche.)
11/4 vs. Penn State (November begins with a bang, as the Spartans host the Nittany Lions...)
11/11 @ Ohio State (...and then go to Columbus. But hey, at least MSU gave the Buckeyes a grand fight last season!)

Bottom line: I just can't see Michigan State missing the postseason for the 2nd straight year. They got LJ Scott and a ton of motivation, so all the Spartans need is a pass-rush and they'll be fine. HOW good that pass-rush is will determine the type of bowl MSU will go to this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdue

Preview segment: The Purdue Boilermakers

Last season: Yet another miserable season for Purdue as they went 3-9. And so, Darrell Hazell was let go. But wait! Did Purdue just get an ACTUAL football coach in the offseason?

Good news: New head coach Jeff Brohm is a wizard at creating offenses, so QB David Blough should get better numbers this year. The linebackers are talented and will be hard to stop.

Bad news: Not even Jeff Brohm can fix this Purdue offense overnight; it lost it's top 4 pass-catchers and the O-line is a BIG worry. Depth may also be a concern.

Key games:
9/2 vs. Louisville [in Indianapolis] (Much like Wisconsin in Lambeau Field last season, this is secretly a home game for the Boilermakers at Lucas Oil Stadium.)
9/16 @ Missouri (Which is worse? Visiting an SEC team, or dealing with Michigan right afterwards?)
11/4 vs. Illinois (Purdue has lost 17 straight games in the month of November. So this is the PERFECT opportunity for the Boilermakers to snap that undesirable streak!)
11/25 vs. Indiana (Losing to arch-rival Indiana 26-24 had to hurt. The fact Indiana got a bowl berth thanks to that win had to hurt even more.)

Bottom line: Nobody in West Lafayette should make plans for a bowl trip in 2017; Brohm needs time to get all of his ducks in a row (and to build all-important depth). But there IS a chance that Purdue won't finish last in the Big 10 West... and that would be a good start.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:

Did the badgers rename themselves to Michigan State? :noidea:
You don't know about the death threats that the entire message board sent him to find out about the most important team in the B1G first. Priorities, man.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:

Did the badgers rename themselves to Michigan State? :noidea:

:( Shoot! I'm sorry; I completely spaced on the Wisconsin Badgers today. Just know that it wasn't on purpose (and that Wisconsin will be previewed tomorrow... for real this time).
...Man, what's wrong with me? I almost forgot about Florida State a couple of weeks ago while I was covering the ACC. Maybe I'm losing it... :crazy:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin

Preview segment: The Wisconsin Badgers

Last season:

Ohio State vs Wisconsin for the title is what I wrote before and i will stick with it.

Ohio State will be 11-1 and Wisconsin will be 12-0.

Man! Why are expectations so high for the Badgers in 2017? Well, why don't you ask 2016's team? Picked to finish 7-5 or 6-6 (all thanks to an hellish schedule), the Badgers instead survived that "schedule from hell" to take the Big 10 West title (again), and grab a Cotton Bowl trophy.
Now about 2017... Is there Ohio State on the schedule? No. LSU? No. Michigan? Yeah, but they won't be as good. That's a good first start.

Good news: A pair of good tailbacks (Chris James and Bradrick Shaw) will be on the field for the Badgers, and so will a nasty defensive line that has 4 strong linebackers.

Bad news: Wisconsin has it's 3rd defensive coordinator in 3 years, so the defense could be hurting from a lack of continuity. Depth is not good in the secondary, and QB Alex Hornibrook could stand to up his passing numbers a bit.

Key games:
9/16 @ BYU (This will be a perfect test for that rebuilding Badger secondary. Oh, and for Hornibrook as well.)
9/30 vs. Northwestern (It's in Madison, but Wisconsin better not underestimate Northwestern's offense. For if they do, they'll be playing catch-up in the Big 10 West for the rest of the season.)
10/7 @ Nebraska (Oh, and don't sleep on Nebraska either; they'll most likely be 4-1 [and pissed off] when the Badgers come to visit.)
11/18 vs. Michigan (This game always draws a crowd, and it'll be the same thing here [mainly because Michigan will have it's s--t together by this point.)
11/25 @ Minnesota (When Minnesota last held "Paul Bunyan's Ax" in 2002, most of this Wisconsin team was still in elementary school.)

Bottom line: With a track record of winning, a strong running game, and a nasty defense Wisconsin is a HUGE favorite to return to the Big 10 title game in Indianapolis.
But @HuskerinBig10 brought up a great question: What if Wisconsin goes 12-0 and then runs into Ohio State or Penn State in the title game; will the Badgers be strong enough to beat those type of teams? THAT'S the million-dollar question for Wisconsin entering 2017.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East
1. OSU
2. PSU
3. Michigan
4. Indiana
5. Maryland
6. MSU
7. Rutgers

West
1. Wusconsin
2. NW
3. Iowa
4. Minnesota
5. Nebraska
6. Purdue
7. Illinois

Plagiarism! :tsk:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:( Shoot! I'm sorry; I completely spaced on the Wisconsin Badgers today. Just know that it wasn't on purpose (and that Wisconsin will be previewed tomorrow... for real this time).
...Man, what's wrong with me? I almost forgot about Florida State a couple of weeks ago while I was covering the ACC. Maybe I'm losing it... :crazy:

Well
That, and posting your Heisman watch in the Big XII thread and neglecting to put Mayfield or Rudolph in there.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa

Preview segment: The Iowa Hawkeyes

Last season: Despite a horrible offense, Iowa got wins over Michigan and Nebraska to finish 8-5 in 2016. Not bad! ...But not great when you realize they got smoked by Florida in their bowl game... and that they didn't return to the Big 10 title game.

2017 X-factor: A hard schedule- Looking at Iowa's schedule for 2017, it's almost like the Big 10 itself was sick and tired of Iowa cruising around on a easy ride. This schedule not only has Iowa going to Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Nebraska, but they also will host Penn State and Ohio State.

Bad news: Making this schedule worse is the fact that Iowa's passing attack may be yet another steaming pile of poop; wide-receiver is a sinkhole and Iowa doesn't know who their starting QB will be. Secondary play may also be a concern.

Good news: Other than that, everything looks fine in Iowa City; the O-line is strong (as always) and 1,000-yard rusher Akrum Wadley is back. The pass-rush looks to be nasty, with LB Josey Jewell as the centerpiece.

Key games:
9/2 vs. Wyoming (Even Iowa's non-conference slate won't be a cakewalk. Does Josh Allen ring a bell at all?)
9/23 vs. Penn State (With Iowa's defense, their plan here is to move so slow that Penn State will be lulled to sleep. Hey, that plan just might work!)
10/21 @ Northwestern (Even before Iowa gets to the Ohio State game on November 4th, they must first deal with a sneakily-tough Wildcats squad...)
10/28 vs. Minnesota (...and then defend the "Floyd of Rosedale" against the Gophers.)
11/11 @ Wisconsin (And to make matters worse, Iowa goes to Madison right afterwards.)

Bottom line: All Iowa needs is a spark on offense, and they can compete for the West division title. Otherwise, Iowa will be stuck looking up at Wisconsin and Northwestern this season.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good news for the Hawks is grad transfer James Butler joins Wadley in the backfield, but yeah, could be a tough year.

Pretty optimistic though.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois

Preview segment: The Illinois Fighting Illini

Last season: Aaaaannnndddd NOW I forget about RB James Butler joining Iowa. Great, now I KNOW my brain is frying! :(
...Luckily, Illinois's problems are more basic and easier to describe than some other teams: They suck. After coming off a 3-9 record in 2016, things might not get any better in Champaign.

Good news: QB Chayce Crouch looks like he can make plays, and the kicking game looks good.

Bad news: Well, let's see... Illinois's top 5 tacklers are gone, the pass-protection is bad, punting could be an adventure, there's only 6 seniors on the roster... Must I go on?

2017 X-factor: WR Mikey Dudek- Mikey has a good deal of talent and once had a 1,000-yard season. So, when is he gonna do that again? He's had 2 ACL injuries already!

Key games:
9/9 vs. Western Kentucky (The Hilltoppers will have a few holes to fill, so HOPEFULLY Illinois will defend the shield of the Big 10 here.)
9/29 vs. Nebraska (No, your eyes are not deceiving you. The Big 10 IS having a conference game on a Friday night. Will the game be any good? Both of the team's quarterbacks will answer that question.)
10/14 vs. Rutgers (Because somebody has to win this game. At least, that's what Lovie Smith is hoping for.)
11/18 @ Ohio State (Yay! The "Ill-Buck Rivalry" is back! ...Oh no, it's the Illini visiting Columbus in the biggest mismatch of the Big 10 season in 2017!)
11/25 vs. Northwestern (A good deal of fun will be had in this in-state rivalry, especially if Illinois ruins any grandiose plans Northwestern may harbor.)

Bottom line: This is just plain going to take a while, so expect this young Illinois team to go through some growing pains... and another losing season.
You know, Lovie Smith, I heard that the Cincinnati Bengals will be hiring a new head coach VERY shortly...

Last edited:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwestern

Preview segment: The Northwestern Wildcats

Last season: Last year, I was a major downer on Northwestern's chances in 2016. Mainly because I didn't like the look of their offense. But JESUS! Did they REALLY have to start the season by losing to Illinois State? And didn't they also embarrass themselves by losing to Western Michigan AT HOME?!
...Wait, scratch that Western Michigan loss; the Broncos took that win all the way to the Cotton Bowl. And the Wildcats DID recover from those losses to get a winning season and a bowl win in Yankee Stadium, so congrats!

Good news: What made that recovery possible was an improved offense. And with 4 starters returning on the O-line and playmakers like RB Justin Jackson and WR Solomon Vault, expect that improvement to continue. The secondary is fast and experienced.

Bad news: In order for the offense to keep moving forward, it must improve it's ability to make big plays. The absence of Anthony Walker Jr. will be felt on the D-line, and despite all those starters returning the O-line needs a good deal of work.

Key games:
9/30 @ Wisconsin (For some reason, Northwestern played it's best football of 2016 when it was on the road. If that happens again here, the Badgers may be in trouble.)
10/7 vs. Penn State (Yikes! If Northwestern's defense isn't ready for Penn State's running game, they could be 0-2 in the Big 10 when this is over.)
11/4 @ Nebraska (For this tough road-game against the Cornhuskers, I'm expecting a battle of the running games.)
11/25 @ Illinois (See above post.)

Bottom line: Northwestern's 2017 schedule doesn't look too bad, and everyone's expecting the offense to continue it's improvements. Thing is, will that be enough to get to Indianapolis for the Big 10 title game? The short answer is no. However, that could change if the Wildcats beat either Wisconsin or Penn State early on.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State

Preview segment: The Penn State Nittany Lions

Last season: Those 13 people in charge of the CFP committee must have been HATING Penn State last December. Here were the Nittany Lions, who were down at halftime (at home) to Minnesota on October 1st, yet they clawed back to beat Ohio State to take their spot in the Big 10 title game. And to make things worse, they WON that game in Indianapolis!
...Well, I guess James Franklin CAN coach after all! See, James, this is what happens when you listen to me and put your faith in Trace McSorley.

Good news: McSorley is back, his main-man Saquon Barkley is back, and so is TE Mike Gesicki (who's maybe the best tight-end in the Big 10). The O-line is getting better by the year, and Penn State's kicking game is something to be feared.

Bad news: Wide-receiver and cornerback are two areas of concerns; for the former, it's about replacing the production of Chris Godwin. For the latter, CB Mike Reid could miss the whole 2017 season, and a freshmen may have to replace him.

Key games:
9/9 vs. Pittsburgh (You just KNOW that Penn's 42-39 loss to Pitt costed Penn that playoff berth last December. Time for Penn to return the favor!)
10/21 vs. Michigan (Michigan may have had a talent-drain, but it's still Michigan. And Penn State still wants to pay back Jim Harbaugh for 2016's humiliation.)
10/28 @ Ohio State (Trouble is, Ohio State kinda wants to do this whole "revenge" thing against the Nittany Lions.)
11/18 vs. Nebraska (This series always seems to draw a crowd. ALWAYS.)
11/25 @ Maryland (More on this game when I preview Maryland.)

Bottom line: As far as I'm concerned, the Nittany Lions should be the Big 10 favorite; they've got enough returning pieces to make another run. And if replacements are found at the WR and CB positions, you can pencil Penn State to be a playoff-caliber team.
Unless, of course, their old neighbors in Columbus wants to spoil the party... which they're MORE than capable of doing.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland

Preview segment: The Maryland Terrapins

Last season: Despite another losing season (6-7), there was a good deal of excitement about Maryland football... even more so when the Terps hauled in that excellent recruiting class in the winter.
However, there's still a ways to go. Remember when the Terps got destroyed by Michigan, Ohio State, and Nebraska by a combined score of 149-13 over a 3-week stretch?

Good news: The O-line will give tremendous protection to Maryland's very potent run-game, and Jermaine Carter Jr. will be a beast on the D-line.

Bad news: Trouble is, Jermaine looks like the only player on defense that can make plays; the rest of the defense is a work-in-progress.

2017 X-factor: Quarterback- But not because the QB play is awful at Maryland. Quite the opposite; Caleb Henderson has the ability to run and pass, and back-up Tyrrell Pigrome can also make plays. And then there's Max Bortenschlager, who also saw playing time last year. It'll be fun to see who'll come out of this situation, and what he can do for his team.

Key games:
9/2 @ Texas (Even with that running game that they have, Maryland will still have a tough time in their season opener. Just ask 100,000 fans who'll be there to welcome Tom Herman to Austin.)
10/14 vs. Northwestern (Sandwiched in-between road trips to Columbus and Madison is this home game. And I think the Terps can win this one... if they stop Northwestern's run game.)
11/11 vs. Michigan (Remember that awful stretch Maryland went through? I just KNOW Maryland wants to avenge that somehow. They can't get it against Nebraska, they won't do it at Ohio State, so it might as well be at home against Michigan.)
11/25 vs. Penn State (Look. This will be a big rivalry game for both teams. HOW big it will be will ride on how close Maryland is to postseason play... and how close Penn State is to the CFP.)

Bottom line: Everyone in College Park is excited about the recruiting class they landed. But it'll probably take a year before playmakers emerge from that class, so it'll probably be another 6 or 7-win season for Maryland in 2017.
Unless, of course, people like Noah Boykin can contribute to the team right away...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota

Preview segment: The Minnesota Golden Gophers

Last season: Sometimes I feel kinda bad for former Minnesota coach Tracy Claeys. I mean, he leads the Gophers out of a scandal (on the heels of the Holiday Bowl, no less!) to bring Minnesota to a 9-4 record, yet they fired his @$$? ...Then I read about the full details of his run (dismal recruiting classes, off-the-field issues), and then I get it.
Do you think that their new coach can reverse this trend of bad luck they're on? We'll see.

Good news: P.J Fleck seems to have the right attitude for the place, and he'll have a collection of running backs to work with. The pass-rush could be nasty, with a strong linebacker corps. The kicking game looks good as well.

Bad news: It'll take a while before Fleck finds a QB that can run his offense, and depth among-st BOTH lines are not good. The cornerback spot got destroyed last winter, as 2 players got expelled and another went to the NFL.

Key games:
9/9 @ Oregon State (Lots of early momentum is on the line here for both teams... and their conferences.)
10/14 vs. Michigan State (You know, Minnesota's first 7 games are pretty winnable. However, the Gophers shouldn't take LJ Scott and the Spartans lightly.)
10/28 @ Iowa (Ah... HERE'S where the hard part begins! Here, Minnesota will try to win back the "Floyd of Rosedale". And they'll need to, 'cause a trip to Michigan is right afterwards.)
11/11 vs. Nebraska (By this time, Minnesota should have a passing game going. Unfortunately, so will Nebraska's, so expect another close one.)
11/25 vs. Wisconsin (See my Wisconsin preview.)

Bottom line: We're all excited about P.J. Fleck being in Minneapolis, but let's be realistic; 2017 will be a rebuilding year. That's what happens when you have questions in the passing game and depth issues on defense.
But these problems are nothing that time, good recruiting, and good coaching can't fix. Let's let the Gophers "row the boat" (hopefully nice and quietly) and hope it leads them to another bowl in 2017.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska

Preview segment: The Nebraska Cornhuskers

Last season:

Nebraska? Are you talking about football or some other sport? Michigan State has as much of a chance as Nebraska.

Huh... And so far, there's been no response from Nebraska fans. In fact, I'm rather worried about the lack of input from Nebraska fans right now. I mean, Nebraska started the 2016 season 7-0, they were #7 in the AP poll, and their first loss (at Wisconsin) wasn't too bad.
And then the wheels fell off; a 62-3 loss to Ohio State, a 40-10 loss to Iowa, and a loss to Tennessee in the Music City Bowl that costed Nebraska a year-end ranking. Now let's see if the Huskers can regain that momentum.

Good news: Nebraska has a solid secondary, a good kicking game, and a quarterback that can run Mike Riley's offense (Tulane transfer Tanner Lee).

Bad news: Thing is, Tanner doesn't have an elite WR to throw to, and his O-line has to get better too. As for the defense, it's improvement could be stifled if injuries rear their ugly heads.

Key games:
9/9 @ Oregon (Oregon may still have Royce Freeman, but their struggles on defense are real. So we'll see what happens if Nebraska capitalizes in Eugene.)
10/7 vs. Wisconsin (The Huskers should be at least 4-1 [5-0 ideally] and confident entering their revenge game against the Badgers.)
10/14 vs. Ohio State (Problem is, the Buckeyes might be on their own little winning streak entering this one.)
11/18 @ Penn State (Like I said earlier, there always seems to be a crowd when Nebraska and Penn State play each other.)
11/24 vs. Iowa ("40-10". That's all the motivation the Huskers will need for this one.)

Bottom line: Nebraska's recruiting well, and they have 16 starters returning, so I just can't see the Huskers falling beyond 3rd place in the Big 10 West. Yet if they REALLY want to challenge for the division, they'll need to find some playmakers on offense and soon.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska

Preview segment: The Nebraska Cornhuskers

Last season:

Huh... And so far, there's been no response from Nebraska fans. In fact, I'm rather worried about the lack of input from Nebraska fans right now. I mean, Nebraska started the 2016 season 7-0, they were #7 in the AP poll, and their first loss (at Wisconsin) wasn't too bad.
And then the wheels fell off; a 62-3 loss to Ohio State, a 40-10 loss to Iowa, and a loss to Tennessee in the Music City Bowl that costed Nebraska a year-end ranking. Now let's see if the Huskers can regain that momentum.

Good news: Nebraska has a solid secondary, a good kicking game, and a quarterback that can run Mike Riley's offense (Tulane transfer Tanner Lee).

Bad news: Thing is, Tanner doesn't have an elite WR to throw to, and his O-line has to get better too. As for the defense, it's improvement could be stifled if injuries rear their ugly heads.

Key games:
9/9 @ Oregon (Oregon may still have Royce Freeman, but their struggles on defense are real. So we'll see what happens if Nebraska capitalizes in Eugene.)
10/7 vs. Wisconsin (The Huskers should be at least 4-1 [5-0 ideally] and confident entering their revenge game against the Badgers.)
10/14 vs. Ohio State (Problem is, the Buckeyes might be on their own little winning streak entering this one.)
11/18 @ Penn State (Like I said earlier, there always seems to be a crowd when Nebraska and Penn State play each other.)
11/24 vs. Iowa ("40-10". That's all the motivation the Huskers will need for this one.)

Bottom line: Nebraska's recruiting well, and they have 16 starters returning, so I just can't see the Huskers falling beyond 3rd place in the Big 10 West. Yet if they REALLY want to challenge for the division, they'll need to find some playmakers on offense and soon.
OL should be improved, but they need to stay healthy. Not a ton behind them unless we start playing the really young guys. As it stands we'll likely see some talented but inexperienced RSFr. getting some playing time. At WR we have our #2 WR from last year (Stanley Morgan) returning, and #1 was our mediocre QB's crutch so Morgan should have probably had more receptions last year...our WRs had a tendency to run wide open but somehow be missed. I'm intrigued by our offense, and the D will be fun to watch as well. They are changing schemes, so there may be some growing pains, but our new DC has a pretty solid track record. I'm pretty excited for the year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers

Preview segment: The Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Last season: A miserable 2-10.

Good news: The middle of the defense should be a LOT better, with LB Trevor Morris the one to watch. WR Janarion Grant is getting a LOT of love from NFL scouts...

Bad news: ...but he's coming off an ankle injury, so we'll see if he can regain his form. And much like Illinois, Rutgers has a lot of problems with depth.

Key games:
9/1 vs. Washington (QB Kyle Bolin makes his Rutgers debut, and if he attacks Washington's new secondary the Knights may have a chance.)
10/14 @ Illinois (This game...)
10/21 vs. Purdue (...and this game will be considered by critics as "Big 10 bottom-feeder games". Which means both of these games are perfectly winnable for the Knights.)
11/4 vs. Maryland [at Yankee Stadium] (Yes... An ingenious plan by Rutgers to steal some much-needed publicity away from the giants of the Big 10!)

Bottom line: The Scarlet Knights should be better than 2016's 2-10 mark... or at least we hope so.