• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our fanbase is freaking out over redshirting O'brien

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree.
Let me rephrase that.

I am not saying that Tommy's talent /skill is comparable to prime rib. Nor Rykers to toenails.

I'm saying that the gap in talent /skill between the two is that far apart

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me rephrase that.

I am not saying that Tommy's talent /skill is comparable to prime rib. Nor Rykers to toenails.

I'm saying that the gap in talent /skill between the two is that far apart

I second that. I find it hard to believe that a program such as Nebraska has such a talent gap from 1st to 2nd string QB's, 2 f'ing years in a row. Turrible in my mind set

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am saying that the two horse race starts now. Put POB back there. And let Lee come and challenge for it next year. Also if Timmy wants it let him have a chance. But tommy starting is a buzz kill

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would see no reason why Riley would want to red shirt POB. In my thought process, Riley needs to win this year and more so next year so why redshrit the kid if needed. If he is not needed then I'm OK with, but if TA goes down, no sense in saving POB for future, future may not arrive.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would see no reason why Riley would want to red shirt POB. In my thought process, Riley needs to win this year and more so next year so why redshrit the kid if needed. If he is not needed then I'm OK with, but if TA goes down, no sense in saving POB for future, future may not arrive.
That's the good thing about a redshirt. We can redshirt him as the 3rd string (especially since we have the ineligible Lee to run the scout team) and we can burn his redshirt if it is needed. Let Fyfe go in for mop up or if Tommy gets dinged and has to come out for a series. If he gets injured for a longer period of time, then we can put in POB.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, the talent gap between TA and everyone else is just crazy. i really have no clue what Beck was doing there. it's just amazing at how well some coaches - Sumlin, Leach, and others can just plug and play qb after qb and we struggle to find one good guy over the past like 7 years.

i'd redshirt POB as long as he gets better and have a real competition with him and Lee next year, then we either get Lee 2 years and POB/Gebbia after that or POB a full 4.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yea, the talent gap between TA and everyone else is just crazy. i really have no clue what Beck was doing there. it's just amazing at how well some coaches - Sumlin, Leach, and others can just plug and play qb after qb and we struggle to find one good guy over the past like 7 years.

i'd redshirt POB as long as he gets better and have a real competition with him and Lee next year, then we either get Lee 2 years and POB/Gebbia after that or POB a full 4.

Good point here. Even though some posters here thinks Fyfe is the worst QB in the history of college football, the chance does exist that a few coaches may actually be able to get more out of Fyfe than our present staff can. No one can tell me that a QB who threw for over 400 yds in a game doesn't have some ability.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point here. Even though some posters here thinks Fyfe is the worst QB in the history of college football, the chance does exist that a few coaches may actually be able to get more out of Fyfe than our present staff can. No one can tell me that a QB who threw for over 400 yds in a game doesn't have some ability.

I will bite.

Ryker Fyfe threw for over 400 yards against the worst team in the Big 10.
Purdue was 2-10 in 2015(1-7 Big Ten). 3-9 in 2014(1-7 Big Ten). 1-11 in 2013(0-8 Big Ten).
Ryker Fyfe threw four interceptions. Three to the same guy. The. Same. Guy.

The bad snap at the end of the game was the center's fault. Not Fyfe.

If there was a perfect game for a new QB to play, it was the bad Purdue team. Unfortunately, the coaches came out with a game plan of throw throw throw against a weak run defensive team and put the pressure on Fyfe.

The score was 42-16 PURDUE to start the 4th quarter. Purdue probably had some letdown.

Between the real bad coaching game plan and the execution of Fyfe, Purdue humiliated Nebraska.

Fyfe is not a D1 QB. He was outplayed by some QB from Purdue named BLOUGH. Rhymes with Blow.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think we need to start POB. I am tired of Tommy and his stupid spin move every time he rolls out of the pocket. Just to launch it up for whoever might be in the vicinity. Not to mention that has to tire out the o-line blocking for 7 seconds must seem like a eternity.

Here is my hope. TA runs 7-10 times a game. More if we are having success with it. I like the screen game and the short passes. I think our Run game can be complemented with the Jet Sweep and tight end screen. it makes me very nervous throwing the ball over 25 yards hopefully Patrick O'Brien will get to play in the second half of the non-conference games save for Oregon.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, it does sound like from the practice reports that I've heard they are trying to get TA to make quicker decisions and shorter passes. it's great when he is on, but if he's not on then you get into problems. sounded like on Saturday, his one interception was just straight to the defender and his other one was a 50/50 ball that Kalu went up and got over Reimers. another should have been interception was a screen pass that went straight into one of the Davis's gut but he dropped it. But the report i heard said that TA ripped into some lineman right after the play, so thinking someone didn't do their job right on that one.

that was all at the start of practice when they were doing 2 minute drill and endzone work. then the rest of the scrimmage they said TA was great.

I'm just hoping this staff realizes quickly when TA isn't having a good throwing day, go to the run game and try to get TA into the zone by letting him use his feet. That has always seemed to work in the past, if he's not looking comfortable throwing, then let him run, that always seems to help him.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's the good thing about a redshirt. We can redshirt him as the 3rd string (especially since we have the ineligible Lee to run the scout team) and we can burn his redshirt if it is needed. Let Fyfe go in for mop up or if Tommy gets dinged and has to come out for a series. If he gets injured for a longer period of time, then we can put in POB.
I will bite.

Ryker Fyfe threw for over 400 yards against the worst team in the Big 10.
Purdue was 2-10 in 2015(1-7 Big Ten). 3-9 in 2014(1-7 Big Ten). 1-11 in 2013(0-8 Big Ten).
Ryker Fyfe threw four interceptions. Three to the same guy. The. Same. Guy.

The bad snap at the end of the game was the center's fault. Not Fyfe.

If there was a perfect game for a new QB to play, it was the bad Purdue team. Unfortunately, the coaches came out with a game plan of throw throw throw against a weak run defensive team and put the pressure on Fyfe.

The score was 42-16 PURDUE to start the 4th quarter. Purdue probably had some letdown.

Between the real bad coaching game plan and the execution of Fyfe, Purdue humiliated Nebraska.

Fyfe is not a D1 QB. He was outplayed by some QB from Purdue named BLOUGH. Rhymes with Blow.

Even though I think Michigan State was slightly overrated last year, Purdue did give them some trouble, so they weren't as bad as you think they were. Like I said before, there are some coaches who could get more out of Fyfe than our staff could, and not only that they would have given him a smarter game plan than the weird one our staff threw at him against Purdue. I will add that I never said he was a great QB, but he's not as bad as you or some other posters here think he is.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Finally found the tweet that this made me think of. Ugh.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well, it does sound like from the practice reports that I've heard they are trying to get TA to make quicker decisions and shorter passes. it's great when he is on, but if he's not on then you get into problems. sounded like on Saturday, his one interception was just straight to the defender and his other one was a 50/50 ball that Kalu went up and got over Reimers. another should have been interception was a screen pass that went straight into one of the Davis's gut but he dropped it. But the report i heard said that TA ripped into some lineman right after the play, so thinking someone didn't do their job right on that one.

that was all at the start of practice when they were doing 2 minute drill and endzone work. then the rest of the scrimmage they said TA was great.

I'm just hoping this staff realizes quickly when TA isn't having a good throwing day, go to the run game and try to get TA into the zone by letting him use his feet. That has always seemed to work in the past, if he's not looking comfortable throwing, then let him run, that always seems to help him.

I'm not sure if Riley is capable of doing this on a consistent basis, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Fyfe is the worst QB ever. I think he could maybe start, or at least, be a solid backup at a small school like Doane or Concordia.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think Fyfe is the worst QB ever. I think he could maybe start, or at least, be a solid backup at a small school like Doane or Concordia.

Actually, he could start at some division one schools.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are a bunch of dicks. I don't quite understand the animosity towards Fyfe. All the kid has done is walk on and worked his ass off and not given up. And he's apparently a better option than AJ Bush and Darlington who were highly touted QB's coming out of high school.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are a bunch of dicks. I don't quite understand the animosity towards Fyfe. All the kid has done is walk on and worked his ass off and not given up. And he's apparently a better option than AJ Bush and Darlington who were highly touted QB's coming out of high school.
I have nothing against Fyfe personally. I appreciate the hard work he puts in. That doesn't make him a good football player.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You've got that right.