• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OU #1 RB Kenndy Brooks opts out for season

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is my memory correct when I remember Texas fans were not high on Bennie and were glad to see him go?
Yes.. we had the most pectoral tears, torn rotator cuffs, separated shoulders and stingers ever. Well all blamed Mad Dog but we realized who it was coming from.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the concept is not difficult, even if you don't agree with the overall policy.

Women were discriminated against when it came to college athletics. More funding went to men's sports. Title IX basically said if you receive federal funds, you can't discriminate between sexes when it comes to athletics. Now you don't have to spend as much on women's bowling as you do men's football, but you have to have equal scholarships. With football having 85, basketball 15, baseball 12 (I think), and some others here and there, that meant you had to have that many for women's sports. To do this the had to add a ton of women's sports and get rid of men's rowing, fencing, that type of thing. To get to the 112 that are reserved for the top 3 mens sports, you had to add a lot of women's sports.

I know you were just kidding, probably, but there you go.

because they don’t make money.

and there’s nothing equal about men paying for all the women’s sports

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because they don’t make money.

and there’s nothing equal about men paying for all the women’s sports
You seem to have missed the part that making money isn't the issue. Do you think the university makes money off the Debate Team? or the chess club? Or intramural sports? As I clearly stated, it's not about whether the sport makes money ... it's whether it contributes to the universities mission of educating its students. If they believe that men's sports contributes to the education of their men students, it makes total sense that should apply to women.

Again, Title IX is far from perfect, but it's not the sports aspect of it that is problematic.

So, by your logic, the only sport we could have would be football, maybe basketball. Because those are the only 2 sports that pay for themselves. If there is nothing equal about men paying for women's sports, I assume you agree that men shouldn't pay for other men's sports that don't make money?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to have missed the part that making money isn't the issue. Do you think the university makes money off the Debate Team? or the chess club? Or intramural sports? As I clearly stated, it's not about whether the sport makes money ... it's whether it contributes to the universities mission of educating its students. If they believe that men's sports contributes to the education of their men students, it makes total sense that should apply to women.

Again, Title IX is far from perfect, but it's not the sports aspect of it that is problematic.

So, by your logic, the only sport we could have would be football, maybe basketball. Because those are the only 2 sports that pay for themselves. If there is nothing equal about men paying for women's sports, I assume you agree that men shouldn't pay for other men's sports that don't make money?

men paying men is straight up more fair as it’s men’s money. It’s being issues where it was earned.

but those sports really shouldn’t be propping anyone up.

they can go out and fundraise like I had to in D3 ball.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.. we had the most pectoral tears, torn rotator cuffs, separated shoulders and stingers ever. Well all blamed Mad Dog but we realized who it was coming from.

I was thinking about something this morning. I get up super early and work out hard. But I do mostly heavy weights because I like it and I'm good at it. Cardio? Hate it but I force myself to do some of it but put me in a weight room and I'm in heaven. BUT I've noticed more and more how over the years I've stayed stronger than an ox but I'm not nearly as limber as I used to be or would like to be. Is that the problem with Bernie? His players are strong but they can't MOVE. I would play hell trying to play a game right now that required me to get into weird positions. Am I right or wrong here?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
men paying men is straight up more fair as it’s men’s money. It’s being issues where it was earned.

but those sports really shouldn’t be propping anyone up.

they can go out and fundraise like I had to in D3 ball.
Ok, I see you are refusing to get the idea of sports being part of a universities mission. Moving along.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I see you are refusing to get the idea of sports being part of a universities mission. Moving along.

I played a sport.

i get it. But there’s nothing equal about football money paying for the women’s sports.

they can all get University funding, but it’s laughable to expect football and mbb to socialize all the losses

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about something this morning. I get up super early and work out hard. But I do mostly heavy weights because I like it and I'm good at it. Cardio? Hate it but I force myself to do some of it but put me in a weight room and I'm in heaven. BUT I've noticed more and more how over the years I've stayed stronger than an ox but I'm not nearly as limber as I used to be or would like to be. Is that the problem with Bernie? His players are strong but they can't MOVE. I would play hell trying to play a game right now that required me to get into weird positions. Am I right or wrong here?
the guy is all about upper body.. looks great for trips to the beach but they bulk up so much it pops, tears.. also look like upside down coke bottles

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played a sport.

i get it. But there’s nothing equal about football money paying for the women’s sports.

they can all get University funding, but it’s laughable to expect football and mbb to socialize all the losses
You really don't get it, and you playing a sport means nothing in this discussion.

To be clear, football money pays for all other sports, mens and womens, except basketball. So, you are ok with football paying for men's sports that don't make money, but not women's sports?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy is all about upper body.. looks great for trips to the beach but they bulk up so much it pops, tears.. also look like upside down coke bottles

Hmmmm. Sounds like the opposite of Boot Camp. The fat guys getting stronger and leaner, the skinny guys gaining weight getting stronger too. Before you know it, everyone has good endurance and is strong as a mofo for his weight. Of course boot camp is not intended to bulk anyone up like you have to do with a lineman but still, limberness is a lot of success against another guy in a physical match up. Sigh. Now I can't live without a back scratcher. I hope he's not putting us in a helluva bind with a bunch of Body Beautifuls riding the pine because they are injured.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texass has never won a natty without a coach from Oklahoma. Hell their stadium is even named after an OU All American.

Dont you know? Herman was born in Muskogee, but he was hustled out on a floating baby crib to escape (looking up notes...) ah hell, someone. Oh yeah, they traveled with the Joads to the land of milk and honey running and looking for work.

So yeah, natty coming.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really don't get it, and you playing a sport means nothing in this discussion.

To be clear, football money pays for all other sports, mens and womens, except basketball. So, you are ok with football paying for men's sports that don't make money, but not women's sports?

I get it. Playing a sport (baseball is the best, but others work) is a great metaphor and preparation for life.

but to claim something is about “equality” and it’s really just men paying for it, it’s laughable.

there are many issues with title ix, but this is one of them

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont you know? Herman was born in Muskogee, but he was hustled out on a floating baby crib to escape (looking up notes...) ah hell, someone. Oh yeah, they traveled with the Joads to the land of milk and honey running and looking for work.

So yeah, natty coming.

Good to see you back Jefe!

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. Playing a sport (baseball is the best, but others work) is a great metaphor and preparation for life.

but to claim something is about “equality” and it’s really just men paying for it, it’s laughable.

there are many issues with title ix, but this is one of them
How do you not get the equality aspect of it? If sports is part of the educational mission of a university, why should it be for men and not women? Don't say one makes money and the other doesn't because all mens sports but football and hoops don't make money. All non-sports related extra-curricular activities don't make money. The making of money is irrelevant. You've not answered the question I've asked a couple times ... how come you are ok with non-revenue generating mens sports but not womens?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you not get the equality aspect of it? If sports is part of the educational mission of a university, why should it be for men and not women? Don't say one makes money and the other doesn't because all mens sports but football and hoops don't make money. All non-sports related extra-curricular activities don't make money. The making of money is irrelevant. You've not answered the question I've asked a couple times ... how come you are ok with non-revenue generating mens sports but not womens?

becuase I didn’t say that. I said that those 2 sports shouldn’t be subsidizing anyone and the rest can all fundraise.

but there’s nothing equal about the men paying for the women.