• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Movies Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made popcorn a lot, so I thought, as a kid (not my money) that I could find one that was easier or better, like that was something he'd want. Bought one. He used it once. Then went back to the other one. So I then asked my mom to get the next one, like the movie theatre kind. Same thing. I was like 10-12 years old and it wasn't my money, but I didn't know what to get him. I realized that he already had the best one. My dad didn't tell me so as not to be a buzz kill. My mom thought it was good that I was thinking about my dad. I now have one of them for my house that I had given him. It's old but good. My brother has another and one was a waste, but that's the cheapest one.

I used to get sweaters for my mom's birthday and holidays. She now has a box of sweaters that a friend came to borrow one when she didn't have one. I thought that was weird. And now, I'll never get her a sweater again. She likes it but she has enough. Everyone got my uncle polar bear themed stuff. I never got things for him until I got to be a teenager (again, not my money) and I asked my dad if the polar bear something was good, and he was like, I think it's enough. It wasn't just me.

My aunt doesn't like present giving or receiving. She suggested at Christmas Eve for now on everyone to just give to this water buffalo fund - it was a total scam. My dad found the scam proof - that in the small print they said the percentage that was obligated to go to buy water buffalos was sooo low. I objected to the idea as a "don't steal Christmas, choose your own gifts" principle. No one has to get anything for me. If they want to donate somewhere in honor of somebody, great. But for everyone? Bah.

I also said, if you're going to donate for me, donate locally. There are people in every country in the world that need help, everyone in the world is as important as anybody else in the world. If you help one, it's the same as helping another. Some types of help is more needed than others, so I don't mean welfare or anything. Help someone that might help locally. That's my philosophy, others have their own thoughts.

Thanks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting now.

Bought the popcorn, but not going to make it, not in the mood.

Yeah, making popcorn when I'm not turned on is weird. Even weirder when the stove is not turned on. My stove has to be aroused for popcorn to make sense.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the guys says he saw Virgin Mary "with small brown hands".

Why did he say "brown"? Was it because her hands were presumably dirty, from walking in the camp area?

If he should have been referring to her natural skin tone, shouldn't it have been "white"?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling some references from this movie are going to go over my head, since I'm not good with religious references.

Oh well, I'll have to read some recaps on wiki afterward, to make sure I understood the subtleties of the movie.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see this thread? Is the movie going to be on TNT for you, soon?

MHSL82 go check your program guide right now!

The All-Star re-run is on. But I don't have time to watch it anyway. I think it's on afterwards. I'm making popcorn and that's at least a 5 hour process that needs all my attention. The movie will be over by then. I might record it. Thanks for the heads up.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see this thread? Is the movie going to be on TNT for you, soon?

MHSL82 go check your program guide right now!

Michael Keaton's in it? I think he was the best Batman for that style. The new style obviously wouldn't work with him. He always reminded me of a young Billy Joel.

Have you seen Beetlejuice? I was surprised when I learned that he did that movie.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The theme of Death, and the metaphor with the chess game, were good. The setting of the movie during the Middle Ages, specifically during the black plaque, was interesting.

Somehow I feel that something is missing in terms of tying ever scene to the overall story arc.

Some of the scenes were important, either for their philosophical musings, or for character development (such as introducing Raval, and then later Jons attack him; or showing the condemned woman a few times).

But something was missing either in terms of why one scene had to happen in the order that it did, with respect to the next. Or how the scenes related back to Block. Something about how this movie was tied together, seemed off, or unfocused.

Also, for being the main character, sometimes it felt that the focus wasn't on Block enough.

I know this is a renowned movie, and critics who are literary and film masters like this movie, so maybe it's just me.

So, was the "meaningful deed" that Block did, inviting the actors to stay with him?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Keaton's in it? I think he was the best Batman for that style. The new style obviously wouldn't work with him. He always reminded me of a young Billy Joel.

Have you seen Beetlejuice? I was surprised when I learned that he did that movie.

I think Keaton's good enough that he could adapt to any style of movie, even the new ones.

I saw Beetlejuice in the 80s, so it was a long time ago.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The theme of Death, and the metaphor with the chess game, were good. The setting of the movie during the Middle Ages, specifically during the black plaque, was interesting.

Somehow I feel that something is missing in terms of tying ever scene to the overall story arc.

Some of the scenes were important, either for their philosophical musings, or for character development (such as introducing Raval, and then later Jons attack him; or showing the condemned woman a few times).

But something was missing either in terms of why one scene had to happen in the order that it did, with respect to the next. Or how the scenes related back to Block. Something about how this movie was tied together, seemed off, or unfocused.

Also, for being the main character, sometimes it felt that the focus wasn't on Block enough.

I know this is a renowned movie, and critics who are literary and film masters like this movie, so maybe it's just me.

So, was the "meaningful deed" that Block did, inviting the actors to stay with him?

thanks for watching, glad you at least somewhat enjoyed it (my fave ever)
you deserve a detailed answer, I'll try to get to this tomorrow after work. I'm too buzzed right now. Really the film's beauty IMHO is it works regardless of if you are an atheist or devout. It's a look at how humans view religion/philosophy and its relation to their life (lives), not on religion/etc itself as being 'correct'.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for watching, glad you at least somewhat enjoyed it (my fave ever)
you deserve a detailed answer, I'll try to get to this tomorrow after work. I'm too buzzed right now. Really the film's beauty IMHO is it works regardless of if you are an atheist or devout. It's a look at how humans view religion/philosophy and its relation to their life (lives), not on religion/etc itself as being 'correct'.

Yeah, the setting of the movie during the black plague brought out some morbid views, especially for the people that would whip themselves.

When Block was talking to the "priest", only to find out it was really Death, that was a neat scene.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robert Deniro's in it? I saw part of it. I liked the parking lot part. Does that say something bad about me? Just be quiet, woman! Oh, and being a woman doesn't matter, she was just annoying in her teasing of him. Too aggressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ DeNiro discussion.
what

but anyways.
watch his best semi-unknown film. but only watch the director's cut.

[youtube]j8ZO-UZjN7o[/youtube]

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is she dead? Pretty much.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Deniro's in it? I saw part of it. I liked the parking lot part. Does that say something bad about me? Just be quiet, woman! Oh, and being a woman doesn't matter, she was just annoying in her teasing of him. Too aggressive.

Are you recording it to watch it more thoroughly later?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you recording it to watch it more thoroughly later?

Yeah, but the stupid replay of the All-Star game messed up my recording as I've had to record three half hour shows after the original slot to record it.