• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Sixers

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, every one of these players has some warts. Fulz is probably the best pure scorer, but he plays suspect D. I would try to turn him into a shooting guard.

What I like about Fox is that he plays good defense, and can break down opposing defenses when he is on offense with his speed. He could be Brown's version of Tony Parker.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 1 Week away from Lottery Tuesday :)
The Lakers have a 46.9 chance to keep that Top 3 protected pick.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the reminder. If we do get 2 picks in the top ten, we can trade with the pacers to get Paul George!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been watching a lot of this Frank Ntilikina kid ... while I don't see him as a Franchise type pick, I see him as possibly the best "complimentary" player possibly available for what the Sixers may be looking for. "If" and it's a huge "if" both our Franchise type guys in Embiid and Simmons are ready to roll ... Ntil' gives you excellent D and one of the better outside shooters which is what we need from the Point or off-Guard. If it's true that Simmons will run Point a good deal of the time then what we need from the supporting Guard play is what Ntil' is good at. He may not have the break-you-down off the dribble game that you would get from a Fox or Smith ... but from a "fit" point of view, his game may compliment Embiid and Simmons the most.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been watching a lot of this Frank Ntilikina kid ... while I don't see him as a Franchise type pick, I see him as possibly the best "complimentary" player possibly available for what the Sixers may be looking for. "If" and it's a huge "if" both our Franchise type guys in Embiid and Simmons are ready to roll ... Ntil' gives you excellent D and one of the better outside shooters which is what we need from the Point or off-Guard. If it's true that Simmons will run Point a good deal of the time then what we need from the supporting Guard play is what Ntil' is good at. He may not have the break-you-down off the dribble game that you would get from a Fox or Smith ... but from a "fit" point of view, his game may compliment Embiid and Simmons the most.

He's certainly on the list of potential targets. They've already got Covington and TLC who should continue to develop into pretty good 3-and-D players. Stauskas' defense needs to improve but I think we were all happy to see him improve his 3-pointer last season (jumped 40 percentage points). Bayless should be a great fit for the short term. Henderson also. They're solid all-around players who can hit 3-pointers.

Haven't even gotten to Saric and Holmes. Holmes shot .350 from 3 last year. Saric only .311 but I suspect he'll gradually improve over time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him surpass .400 for a season at some point in his career.

If we only end up with one pick, I want Fultz or Smith. If we end up with two picks, I'm open to all sorts of possibilities.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the reminder. If we do get 2 picks in the top ten, we can trade with the pacers to get Paul George!

The only way I would do this is if he re-signs ahead of time or basically promises he's going to sign an extension once traded for. But his camp has apparently indicated that George wants to go to the Lakers. I'm not trading two top picks for a one-year rental. Aside from that, I'm not sure his age matches up with our timeline and I'm not sure he's become the superstar that we all expected him to become. He's a very good player -- but I think he may be a bit overrated. And why is it that no matter who they put around him in Indiana, the team is just never really any good.

They had the one run where they went to the ECF two years in a row and that's it. The East was extremely weak back then . . . yet Indiana was pushed to a 7-game series with a 38-win Hawks team the one season.

I'd be happy if they could land George but I think two top-5 picks is too much for him, especially considering that he's made it known he wants to go to L.A.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike in previous lotteries, I'm very much at ease with any outcome at the lottery. Even if we only get the 6th pick.

Haven't given it much thought and won't until the picks are set, but man I love me some De'Aaron Fox. I think I'd be willing to wager that the coaching staff can fix the jumper because I think he's got the highest upside in this class. Still like DSJ like I have all year. Jackson is the easiest fit of the top prospects. I'm just not sure on Ball. I love his passing but lack of quickness, release point of the jumper, and poor half court play worry me. I like Fultz but not as much as the many draftniks that peg him as the clear cut number 1 pick. I think he's in the same bucket with 5-6 other guys.

My board is probably this in three tiers:

1. Jackson
2. Fox
3. Smith
4. Fultz
5. Isaac
6. Ball

7. Tatum

8. Ntilikina
9. Monk
10. Anunoby

I'm pretty happy we are guaranteed one of the top 6 (although I'm sure Colangelo's board doesn't include the same 6. I'm guessing he's got Monk and Tatum in and Smith and Fox out). I don't see much separation between them honestly.

Last edited:

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of guys I like in Rd 2 as potential role players are Alec Peters from Valparaiso and Johnathan Motley from Baylor.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want the Lakers pick to convey this year.

#4-6 in 2017 might arguably be better than #4-6 in 2018.
Yes, there is the possibility that the 2018 pick could be #1, but at best, there is only a 25% chance of that.
Even if the Lakers get a top-3 pick, Fultz or Jackson will not do much to improve their horrendous defense.

It would just be the icing on the cake if LAL loses their 2017 and 2019 1st round picks.
That would just cripple any chance of a rebuild and set them back another 5-10 years.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with getting next years' Lakers pick, is that they are positioned to add some very good free agents this summer. So, the pick next year could very well be out of the lottery.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with getting next years' Lakers pick, is that they are positioned to add some very good free agents this summer. So, the pick next year could very well be out of the lottery.

Really? Who?

Sportrac says they have 12 signed players for 2017 at $82.8M.
2 are non-guaranteed and take up roughly $8M.
They can sign one max FA.
If a FA goes to LAL, it's to get paid, not to go to the playoffs.
They need defensive help.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a preliminary rumor floating around Toronto that Kyle Lowry, pending FA, may want to sign with his hometown 76ers. Colangelo traded for him when he was with the Raptors, and might want to try and stick it to his old team by signing away one of our key players. Are you guys hearing the same thing down there?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a preliminary rumor floating around Toronto that Kyle Lowry, pending FA, may want to sign with his hometown 76ers. Colangelo traded for him when he was with the Raptors, and might want to try and stick it to his old team by signing away one of our key players. Are you guys hearing the same thing down there?

You are hearing correctly.
Lowry is also linked to Sixers assistant Lange (early Villanova connection).

I've got no problem with Lowry, but not anywhere near a max contract.
He stated that he wants rings.
He's already made $70M in his career.
If he wants to sign here on the cheap, great. Offer him 3/30.
If another team offers him the max, then let him go.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are hearing correctly.
Lowry is also linked to Sixers assistant Lange (early Villanova connection).

I've got no problem with Lowry, but not anywhere near a max contract.
He stated that he wants rings.
He's already made $70M in his career.
If he wants to sign here on the cheap, great. Offer him 3/30.
If another team offers him the max, then let him go.

We're all hearing that in the Philadelphia area. I'd be happy about it but I echo sparhawk that we'd have to limit what we give him in years and money. I think 3/30 is too cheap. I'd have no issue giving him 3/60 or really whatever he wants over 3 years. But I'm not offering a 4th year and I'd want to frontload the contract as much as possible. By year 3, the 76ers should be Finals contenders.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all hearing that in the Philadelphia area. I'd be happy about it but I echo sparhawk that we'd have to limit what we give him in years and money. I think 3/30 is too cheap. I'd have no issue giving him 3/60 or really whatever he wants over 3 years. But I'm not offering a 4th year and I'd want to frontload the contract as much as possible. By year 3, the 76ers should be Finals contenders.

I mean -- Jerryd Bayless got 3/27. It'd be an insult to offer Lowry 3/30.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean -- Jerryd Bayless got 3/27. It'd be an insult to offer Lowry 3/30.

Quite frankly, it's an insult for average players to get $15M/yr.
That doesn't mean we have to be crazy and throw money around.

To your point, I have no problem with a front-loaded contract to the tune of 25-15-10 (3/50).

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Lowry, but the problem with bringing in a PG is Simmons and the Rookie will hopefully be playing that spot.

I'd still do it. Love hometown guys and Lowry is a good veteran for this team. Simmons can work on his SF game.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowry is getting a max from someone. The Nets will offer it if no one else.

I'd easily max Lowry for 3 years but not 4. He's an exceptionally good player miscast as the best player on the Raptors and carrying a fake star in DeRozan.

Here he would only be the second best player next year and at least the 3rd best player 2 years from now.

He can play well off the ball and his shooting, playmaking, and defense make him an almost seamless fit with Embiid and Simmons. I just don't want him on the books at the max in his age 35 season when money will get tight with new deals kicking in for Embiid and Covington. We might not the ability to max another FA out and that will be the last season we will have financial flexibility because the year after Simmons is getting his next deal.

Ultimately I think either the Raptors or Nets will go full max on 4 or 5 years and Colangelo shows some restraint.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite frankly, it's an insult for average players to get $15M/yr.
That doesn't mean we have to be crazy and throw money around.

To your point, I have no problem with a front-loaded contract to the tune of 25-15-10 (3/50).

Agreed -- Lowry doesn't really fit our timeline, but I'd rather give him $20 million per year than spend it on marginal players like Henderson and Bayless. With Lowry, Simmons, Embiid, Saric, Covington, and whoever they end up drafting this year, I think they'd have a real shot at making the Eastern Conference Finals next season. That's pretty crazy but I'm not sure who in the East would make that an impossibility.