• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT, Should we be concerned about safety in Sochi?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But do they really need to attack Sochi to make a splash? I think attacking any attack on Russia during the Olympics will make a splash on the international scale. An attack on Sochi would make the biggest splash but attacks on Moscow, St. Petersburg, etc. would make quite the splash as well, plus it would be easier right now.

I dont think so ... north american media is such that they will cover something that impacts the emotions of their target markets ... big attack in moscow during the olympics ... meh ... it will get as much coverage as the Beirut car bombing from this morning ... Bob Costas will make a 2 minute political statement and then take everyone to 2 man luge

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think so ... north american media is such that they will cover something that impacts the emotions of their target markets ... big attack in moscow during the olympics ... meh ... it will get as much coverage as the Beirut car bombing from this morning ... Bob Costas will make a 2 minute political statement and then take everyone to 2 man luge

I think an attack on Moscow will always get attention, especially during the Olympics. We'll see tho, hopefully both of us will be wrong but if the terrorists are smart, Sochi will just be a distraction and the target will be Russia as a whole.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the security measures that russia are taking (ie not allowing unauthorized vehicle traffic into a 100 km zone around Sochi starting 1 month prior to the Olympics beginning) are overwhelmingly telling

they know the terrorists want to make a splash on the international level

And that's the place to do it, you know they're go big or go home.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's the place to do it, you know they're go big or go home.

Sochi might make a big splash, but keep in mind they've been trying to attack Russia as a whole for years. Although an attack on Sochi during the Olympics could make a lot of noise, a wide spread attack throughout all of Russia would be more damaging to the country in the long term. Keep in mind that Saigon was not the focal point of the Tet Offensive back in Vietnam, but the damage from that attack was staggering, and probably the most remembered attack by the Vietcong during the Vietnam War.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sochi might make a big splash, but keep in mind they've been trying to attack Russia as a whole for years.

as Borat would say ... with "greaaaaaaat success" ... theyve been there and done that

Although an attack on Sochi during the Olympics could make a lot of noise, a wide spread attack throughout all of Russia would be more damaging to the country in the long term.

their global jihadist brothers have joined the fray here though ... im still saying they want a global impact ... do you think an attack in Sochi on foreign nationals brings the US and Russia closer together as allies ... I dont ... i think it just brings further distrust and finger pointing ... attack in sochi de-stabilizes the world ... brings fear to the world

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody knows how much security is going to be involved in and around Sochi during the games. I think if terrorists attack they will attack an Olympic site just to try to show the world that no one is safe.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as Borat would say ... with "greaaaaaaat success" ... theyve been there and done that

their global jihadist brothers have joined the fray here though ... im still saying they want a global impact ... do you think an attack in Sochi on foreign nationals brings the US and Russia closer together as allies ... I dont ... i think it just brings further distrust and finger pointing ... attack in sochi de-stabilizes the world ... brings fear to the world

I think if their goal is to upset the international community then Sochi is the ideal target. At the same time, I see a lot of opportunity for them to launch a widespread attack on Russia, which is their main enemy right now. IDK, we'll see how it goes, not really in tune with the way terrorists think, but from a strategic point of view, I think a widespread attack would be easier & cause more damage/deaths.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody knows how much security is going to be involved in and around Sochi during the games. I think if terrorists attack they will attack an Olympic site just to try to show the world that no one is safe.

this

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]424990386793115648[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usa hockey telling players not to bring families to sochi ?????

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you see that?

Heard it on radio clip from mitch berger. Said a team usa player told him this (ryan kesler?) Not sure if legit ... Anyone else seen anything about it? Crazy if true

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard it on radio clip from mitch berger. Said a team usa player told him this (ryan kesler?) Not sure if legit ... Anyone else seen anything about it? Crazy if true

I am curious if that gets out. That is a major thing if they actually warned family to stay away. It means there is credible information and a lack of confidence in being able to stop it.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there has been quite a few violent incidents in Russia the past few weeks, not only that chechynian rebels thrive throughout the country. I fear something big is going to go down against any western bloc countries

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I am curious if that gets out. That is a major thing if they actually warned family to stay away. It means there is credible information and a lack of confidence in being able to stop it.

absolutely

@RolandOliphant (Moscow correspondent for @telegraph)
Mugshot of suspected suicide bomber distributed to Sochi hotels

BeWj9RSCcAE6uD_.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero confidence in russia to protect anyone from any attack

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero confidence in russia to protect anyone from any attack

A guy I work with is going over there in a couple of weeks as a volunteer at the short track speed skating venue. I sure hope his visit will be uneventful.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should add terrorism as an Olympic event so the terrorists don't feel left out.