• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15930-id-buzzandid-buzzcargoeuropeanmodels-1668412625.jpg

Problem is, you are pretty much committing to double sticker price by ordering one. I like unusual cars, but not that much.
Notice the Subaru is missing and it seems most companies are spending the money on the EV design efforts. Since the only real competition in the SUV market above is price.

Finally efficiency really took over and there isn’t many ways to design a car to have all the required safety elements and less drag.
I hate that Subaru are pretty much my only option if I want another wagon. Buick makes one, but I would stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork before buying a GM product, and Mercedes and Audi both import them but the Mercs an S class and the Audi is an RS6. Both well over a 100 grand.

The situation in design is the same for sedans. Side profile, it's damn hear impossible to tell the difference between a Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Honda, VW, etc. And the you have Hyundai/Kia?Genesis that just straight up copy any actual design elements that are noticeable and put them on their cars.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and that stupid ass "turn the engine off when the car stops at a stoplight" feature cars have. If I don't have a way to disable that permanently, I am not buying your car.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and that stupid ass "turn the engine off when the car stops at a stoplight" feature cars have. If I don't have a way to disable that permanently, I am not buying your car.
The Wranglers did that with their JKU's prior to the 4XE release in 2018 and 2019. It was essentially a way to test how an electric motor would work. I was in a friends 2018 Sahara and thought how does this make a car more efficient in extreme heat or cold? I see it as a waste.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15930-id-buzzandid-buzzcargoeuropeanmodels-1668412625.jpg

Problem is, you are pretty much committing to double sticker price by ordering one. I like unusual cars, but not that much.

I hate that Subaru are pretty much my only option if I want another wagon. Buick makes one, but I would stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork before buying a GM product, and Mercedes and Audi both import them but the Mercs an S class and the Audi is an RS6. Both well over a 100 grand.

The situation in design is the same for sedans. Side profile, it's damn hear impossible to tell the difference between a Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Honda, VW, etc. And the you have Hyundai/Kia?Genesis that just straight up copy any actual design elements that are noticeable and put them on their cars.
As for the sticker price. It is insane to put over a hundred grand into a vehicle and namely a GM product. Knowing all too well it wiill be junk in 5 years. Have to give Ford credit. I test drove an E-Mach they are built very nice but to get a model that is worth the cost you have to the GT model that is AWS and the extended life battery. So instead of spending 45,000 on a car you are well over 85,000. Then I have zero use to ever own a pickup truck so I just refuse to go down that EV market.

NOTE: I did go against my own better judgement a few years back. This was prior to the used car price gouging going on and purchased a very used Chevy Traverse. It wasn't for me but for the oldest to drive around and selfishly if I needed to haul anything I would use it. Amazingly the pile of crap is still holding up, even after getting hit twice and he still uses it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the sticker price. It is insane to put over a hundred grand into a vehicle and namely a GM product. Knowing all too well it wiill be junk in 5 years. Have to give Ford credit. I test drove an E-Mach they are built very nice but to get a model that is worth the cost you have to the GT model that is AWS and the extended life battery. So instead of spending 45,000 on a car you are well over 85,000. Then I have zero use to ever own a pickup truck so I just refuse to go down that EV market.

NOTE: I did go against my own better judgement a few years back. This was prior to the used car price gouging going on and purchased a very used Chevy Traverse. It wasn't for me but for the oldest to drive around and selfishly if I needed to haul anything I would use it. Amazingly the pile of crap is still holding up, even after getting hit twice and he still uses it.
I would buy a Ford Focus (The RS or ST model) and we actually rented a Chrysler Pacifica and it was surprisingly nice. Looks like Chrysler learned from Mercedes while they were partnered and now being tied with Alfa Romeo / Fiat seems to have helped them in buildign better cars to drive.

The problem is American Car makers build to dollar figure and rely on service revenue so the cars pretty much become disposable. Like a printer. Costs too much to keep them going eventually. I remember seeing a quote about how car manufacturers handle choosing which part to use in their cars. An American car company will listen to the accountant, Japanese car companies will listen to the engineer.

My Father in Law gave us tons of shit when I bought my "snooty" German car. Which cost half what his big ass pickup cost. His Pickup has needed 2 transmissions and major engine work and just had the 4WD system go out. Other than a recalled issue that Audi agreed to fix for free outside the recall period/extended warranty because it should have been caught earlier I've only had to replace brakes and tires. His truck is struggling to get to 150k miles and my Wagon is nearing 200k. And my wife's old Mazda that he also didn't like is going on 260k.

The first 8 years of my marriage, I had 4 cars (all Dodges). The 19 since I have had 3. And one I traded in on the one I have now because I wanted a wagon.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My previous car had it but you could turn it off. My current car has it and you can only turn it off for that trip so I just put up with it. Warm weather when the car is warmed up you can hardly tell its turning off sometimes. Not warmed up or cold days - well 11 months in I still panic for half a second at a light when the car shakes and turns off.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would buy a Ford Focus (The RS or ST model) and we actually rented a Chrysler Pacifica and it was surprisingly nice. Looks like Chrysler learned from Mercedes while they were partnered and now being tied with Alfa Romeo / Fiat seems to have helped them in buildign better cars to drive.

The problem is American Car makers build to dollar figure and rely on service revenue so the cars pretty much become disposable. Like a printer. Costs too much to keep them going eventually. I remember seeing a quote about how car manufacturers handle choosing which part to use in their cars. An American car company will listen to the accountant, Japanese car companies will listen to the engineer.

My Father in Law gave us tons of shit when I bought my "snooty" German car. Which cost half what his big ass pickup cost. His Pickup has needed 2 transmissions and major engine work and just had the 4WD system go out. Other than a recalled issue that Audi agreed to fix for free outside the recall period/extended warranty because it should have been caught earlier I've only had to replace brakes and tires. His truck is struggling to get to 150k miles and my Wagon is nearing 200k. And my wife's old Mazda that he also didn't like is going on 260k.

The first 8 years of my marriage, I had 4 cars (all Dodges). The 19 since I have had 3. And one I traded in on the one I have now because I wanted a wagon.
I have been driving the same 2010 Mazda 3 for the last 10 years. I work from home when not traveling so I don't drive much anymore and see no reason to have an expensive car. I can do all the maintenance on it myself, as it is a super easy car to work on and still drives like new.

In agreement with German cars but both BMW and Mercedes made some stinkers but for the most part their "everyday" cars are just fine and worth the value. Especially in the used car market, because if off lease or first owner you know the service record is there as they get the "free" service with the dealer.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the days when I could tell the make and model at night from 50 yards.

Hide the beer the cops are coming
Learned to drive in a 70's Plymouth Satellite that was white with a black roof. I had people driving scared around me thinking I was the cops. :D

Funny part this was well into the late 80's and not one police station was using that car as a police vehicle.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My previous car had it but you could turn it off. My current car has it and you can only turn it off for that trip so I just put up with it. Warm weather when the car is warmed up you can hardly tell its turning off sometimes. Not warmed up or cold days - well 11 months in I still panic for half a second at a light when the car shakes and turns off.
I've had to replace enough starter motors in my life to have developed a VERY strong distrust of using the starter motor more.

And I can't imagine what kind of value it adds. Two years ago our rental had it, and you couldn't turn it off. For 40 minutes in bay bridge traffic it was
*stop*
*conk*
*Fire up*
*stop*
*conk*

constantly.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had to replace enough starter motors in my life to have developed a VERY strong distrust of using the starter motor more.

And I can't imagine what kind of value it adds. Two years ago our rental had it, and you couldn't turn it off. For 40 minutes in bay bridge traffic it was
*stop*
*conk*
*Fire up*
*stop*
*conk*

constantly.
I can't even imagine what the oil life on that vehicle would be.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We buy a lot of fleet trucks, in general the GMs hold up far longer than the Fords. We have a 2010 Sierra we use as a yard truck now, replaced both the engine and tranny at around 400,000 kms/250,000 mi but it still drives fine.

Trying to turn left at an intersection after waiting 10-20 seconds and seeing an opening, my Jeep Grand will take legit 3 seconds to restart if I forget to switch it off and I miss the opening.

Was worse in Europe in a stick, trying to enter a roundabout that delay drives you bonkers.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first car was a Triumph Spitfire. It was a cheap British two-seater with a small 4. I read everything I could about that car, and did all my own work.

I was walking through Boston with some friends when we came upon a pretty girl with either har Dad or sugardaddy, and they couldn’t start their Spitfire. Plenty of battery, but it just wouldn’t start. They said their mechanic couldn’t figure it out. Somewhere, I had read about this problem. The starter gear would wedge against the flywheel gear and not release. I told her to put it in first, and we gave the car a shove. CLUNK. “Neutral. Start it up.” It started instantly. They were amazed. I explained the problem, although they probably didn’t understand a word of it.

This was not a car that you should stop and start in traffic. Every start was an adventure.

I should have gotten her phone number.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We buy a lot of fleet trucks, in general the GMs hold up far longer than the Fords. We have a 2010 Sierra we use as a yard truck now, replaced both the engine and tranny at around 400,000 kms/250,000 mi but it still drives fine.

Trying to turn left at an intersection after waiting 10-20 seconds and seeing an opening, my Jeep Grand will take legit 3 seconds to restart if I forget to switch it off and I miss the opening.

Was worse in Europe in a stick, trying to enter a roundabout that delay drives you bonkers.
I see no issue with Trucks in those situations and the fleet ones seem to be built better, especially the Diesel ones. As for personal reasons I laugh at the people who own them, as they take up their whole driveway and never haul anything or have a scratch in the bed.

As for that hesitation I had a Prius as a rental years back and the first time I experienced that was like oh shit I am going to die when I tried to pull out into traffic.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That does not sound fun. I'd prefer a way to turn it off completely but for the most part I have gotten used to it. If in a bad stop and go situation - I turn it off. Otherwise I just put up with it and briefly think I broke down once or twice a month.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These morons

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a Keurig-drip combination coffeemaker. So normal weekdays we use K cups and on the weekends I'll usually make a full pot with some ground coffee. Problem is, if the carafe is not 100% centered the coffee brews, overflows, and water and grounds go everywhere. Both on the surrounding counter and throughout the machine. It's a fun cleanup first thing in the morning

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To all musical artists out there, we're good with Last Christmas covers. If you're thinking about doing it don't.
All Christmas songs, really. I don't think the world really needs your specific take on Rudolph or Holly Jolly Christmas.

It's all been done. Stop it.