• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Ludwick

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds sign OF Ryan Ludwick to a 1 year deal with a mutal option for 2013. Deal is believe to be worth 2.5mil with incentives that could bring the contract up to 3mil for 2012.

I like this move. I know he's been down the past year 1/2, but if you look at his numbers when he was with STL in 2010, he was hitting pretty well. He was traded to SD, were offense goes to die, and was then "the guy" in that lineup.

In this lineup with Phillips, Votto, Bruce, and others, he just has to be a piece of the puzzle. Plus, at spacious GABP, his offense is bound to improve by default.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's better than what we had.... That's not saying much though. We need some career years from some of the guys or we will struggle offensively.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's better than what we had.... That's not saying much though. We need some career years from some of the guys or we will struggle offensively.

The offense can score, the problem is there's no consistency.

I think the Reds were 2nd in runs scored last year, but as K-man pointed out, many, many of those runs came in bulk.

We need to get guys that can maybe not get quite as hot, but then not go so cold, either...Bruce comes to mind.

Having BP leading off all year should really help the top of the order. I think Cozart will be ok, he was hitting well before his injury. He'll need to continue that.

There's no doubt that there is a lot that needs to go right, but when you look around the division, that can be said about any team.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should be favored to win the division..... But that has more to do with question marks about other teams.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate them being the favorites for anything, because it seems to make team complacent, and they fall apart. I rather continue being the under dog personally.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense is a hot mess

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Reds got complacent last year, I think a lot of things took their toll.

Rolen played in 60 games, and that was proably about 30 games too many. His shoulder wasn't right and he tried to play through it instead of getting it fixed right away. Dumb move on his part, especially since he's trying to finish out his contract.

Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey did not take that "next" step in developement that everyone had hoped they would. That happens sometimes when you are banking on a lot of young guys to support the team.

The rotation fell apart before the season even began. Arroyo got mono and then hurt his back refusing to come out of the rotation (see Rolen). Bailey got hurt early on and missed the first month+, Cueto got hurt and missed games as well early on. The team had to rely on Volquez, who was what he is...terrible.

Though, they did find some things out. BP can leadoff, and he's pretty decent at it. Last year may have been one of the first years he was a complete and professional hitter. Cozart came up and showed that he could handle the bat. Let's hope the injury doesn't derail him, and I don't think it should. Latos upgrades this rotation, and the 'pen is flat out filthy in the 7th, 8th, and 9th. Starters only need 6 innings and then the 'pen should be shutting guys down.

Ludwick is a decent addition. Not mind blowing, but I think his numbers in this offense and at GABP will be good enough. .270's and probably 20HR's or so. If Bruce and Stubbs can take a step forward in just being a bit more consistent, then this team will be pretty decent. Not great, but good enough to win this division. That might not be saying much, but it is what it is.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwig is a pretty good addition....should remove one of the strikeout kings (Stubbs and Heisey) from the lineup.....hopefully Bruce can take another step forward this year.....one thing for sure, the pitching has been measurably improved by the three additions.....offensively we have question marks, for sure, but at least we're not replacing a Pujols or Fielder......

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense is a hot mess

Doesn't matter who else is in the lineup as long as Votto is in the #3 hole. We were #1 in NL in runs in 2009, #2 in 2010 with a whole lot of people being garbage in that lineup.

Votto makes us a top 5 offense no matter who else is in the lineup, kinda like what Pujols did for the Cardinals.

Votto is worth the $20-$25 million a year, he just is.

You build a team around Votto, Bruce, (2 or 3 more years of Phillips), Cueto, Latos. You pay those 5 their worth, and put filler in around them and you will have a good competitive team that can compete for a playoff spot year in and year out.

Where you start losing competitive balance with those 5 is if one or more of those 5 get hurt. Everyone else is pretty replaceable.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't pay Votto....enjoy him this year, and maybe next......

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ludwick is a bum and the guy isn't intelligent. Seriously, it's nearly impossible to hold a conversation with the guy.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick is a bum and the guy isn't intelligent. Seriously, it's nearly impossible to hold a conversation with the guy.

He had 75 rbi last season playing in 2 ridiculous parks for 2 terrible teams. I couldn't care less if he's a retard, either.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And James Brooks couldn't read you a bernstein bears children's book...what's your point? I don't want the guy to hold the GOP debate. I want him to hit the damn ball.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And James Brooks couldn't read you a bernstein bears children's book...what's your point? I don't want the guy to hold the GOP debate. I want him to hit the damn ball.

To be fair, it's not a requirement to be intelligent to participate in this year's GOP debate. How else can you explain Rick Perry?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about intelligent people is, they have to be intelligent enough to rationalize their erroneous opinions. Most of what a person believes is not based on fact, it is based on feelings that were learned by their own individual experiences from their own individual perspectives, and molded by the guilt heaped on them by parents, teachers, preachers, siblings, and other people. It takes more intelligence to believe something absolutely absurd than it takes to look at things for their face value.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about intelligent people is, they have to be intelligent enough to rationalize their erroneous opinions. Most of what a person believes is not based on fact, it is based on feelings that were learned by their own individual experiences from their own individual perspectives, and molded by the guilt heaped on them by parents, teachers, preachers, siblings, and other people. It takes more intelligence to believe something absolutely absurd than it takes to look at things for their face value.

You hit that one outta the park, Danno.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's ridiculous.

Most of us call those that try to rationalize stupidity for exactly what they are, stupid, or politicians. And it doesn't take intelligence to rationalize stupidity, nor does anyone see them/that as such.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's ridiculous.

Most of us call those that try to rationalize stupidity for exactly what they are, stupid, or politicians. And it doesn't take intelligence to rationalize stupidity, nor does anyone see them/that as such.

Confirmed, Dan. Confirmed.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.

most of the "evil bastards" of the world we're not actually trying to mess things up, they were actually trying to fix (or improve) things... that's the tragedy of the human condition.

it is ridiculous... but it's still true. maybe I have some of the details wrong, but it's essentially true. There are children that are more intelligent, rounded and mature than some adults, and there are adults that really should have never been granted a diploma, but the school system couldn't afford to keep them. There are animals that are better at solving some problems now than some humans. Just because one has the ability of rational thought, or intelligence, doesn't mean they will always arrive at correct conclusions. There is comfort in being somewhat resolved. One doesn't stay awake all night, one concentrates on other things. our prejudices and assumptions, although very crude and often inaccurate, allow us to short circuit our brains in order to function.

in summary, some people, when they have a disagreement with others, use their own short circuiting to claim others are "idiots,stupid, ignorant" simply for disagreeing with them. you see this all the time, on the internet, and in day to day life. People can often be intelligent, wrong, but tragically stubborn all at the same time.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.

most of the "evil bastards" of the world we're not actually trying to mess things up, they were actually trying to fix (or improve) things... that's the tragedy of the human condition.

it is ridiculous... but it's still true. maybe I have some of the details wrong, but it's essentially true. There are children that are more intelligent, rounded and mature than some adults, and there are adults that really should have never been granted a diploma, but the school system couldn't afford to keep them. There are animals that are better at solving some problems now than some humans. Just because one has the ability of rational thought, or intelligence, doesn't mean they will always arrive at correct conclusions. There is comfort in being somewhat resolved. One doesn't stay awake all night, one concentrates on other things. our prejudices and assumptions, although very crude and often inaccurate, allow us to short circuit our brains in order to function.

in summary, some people, when they have a disagreement with others, use their own short circuiting to claim others are "idiots,stupid, ignorant" simply for disagreeing with them. you see this all the time, on the internet, and in day to day life. People can often be intelligent, wrong, but tragically stubborn all at the same time.

And the more "intelligent" the person is, I've found the more stubborn they are on their own "opinions".