• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Laptop Connections to TV for Gameday (Analog -> Digital Conversions)

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured I would post this information in case others could benefit from my experiences. It took me a while to get the connection I was looking for, so in case there are others out there that want to view content via a digital signal from a VGA port via your laptop, please read on and hope this helps...

So this year I told myself that I would invest in cabling, etc. so that I could hookup my laptop to my plasma tv and watch games. However, I wanted to connect to my 42'' Panasonic Plasma TV (model th-42px75u) so I could view games, youtubes, etc. using a HDMI connection, not just viewing content via an analog signal which is what my laptop produces through the lovely VGA port / graphics card in my IBM Laptop.

It took a while of evaluating devices / cables and several trips to Best Buy, but I finally settled on my setup. And I have to say after thinking of connect via S-Video and VGA cales, I am VERY glad I dod not go that way and I do love my signal. Pretty much whatever I see on my laptop is exactly what I see on my TV. Very nice.

What worked for me:

Since I was limited to only connecting via a VGA port from my laptop and I wanted to get a digital signal, I had to find a good device that could convert analog signals to digital. Many sites tell you that you can't do this or if you try you get a crappy signal - THEY ARE WRONG. It all depend on your device. After days of research I found that the best converter out there was the :

Aluratek VGA to HDMI Converter:
aluratek-vga-to-hdmi-converter-adapter.jpg

What is included, a VGA cable to send the analog signal from your laptop to the device. Also a male digital connection device (pictured) is also included which allows you to connect HDMI cables from the converter to your TV. What is not included is the HDMI cable.

After setting this up, I hard a tough time trying to my TV to regonize my laptop when I extended my windows to the extra monitor (i.e. TV) setting. Finally I realized that my laptop is not sending the right information probably because I didn't adjust/account for the resolution of where the signal is being sent to - my TV. Once I adjusted the resolution on my graphics card for the second monitor (where I was extending my windows to - TV), PERFECT. Now I am watching Youtubes full screen and all is well!!!

I was able to do all of this for under 100 bucks - which for what I am doing now on my TV is fine for me.

Hope this helps.

-Zete

Last edited by a moderator:

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here is what I did, for those that don't know my back story, I am a nerd (software developer). I built a computer with parts I bought off tiger direct a few years ago. I beefed up the processor (quad core) and ran a DVI->HDMI adapter out of my video card. That is how I connect it to my tv. Then I subscribed to PlayOn (playon.tv) and I bought some Western Digital WD-HDTV boxes (around $80.00 each) and connected those to each of my other tv's (via LAN).

Now that that is done, as long as my media center is on (computer attached to the TV in my office upstairs), and my internet connection is on (why wouldn't it be) I can stream anything I want from the media center to the WD boxes, including ESPN3. What PlayOn does, is it baseically opens a browser on your media center computer, transcodes the video on the screen, and streams it throughout the house. Also, WD boxes allow direct sharing of files, so any movies that I have stored on the media center, I can stream to any tv in my house.

Now, in essence, I can watch regular TV, or watch basically any internet tv (or files stored on the media center), at any time, from any tv in my house.

yea I know, I am a nerd...

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's some good stuff Evan.

I was a little limited starting out though because of the analog signal that was being sent through my laptop. And unfortunately it appears that you could almost buy another laptop for the price you have to pay to change out the video card (in the laptop). So rather than pay 120+ for a new graphics card (very limited in what you can buy) I just bought the converter. And unlike others I have heard that can fail, this one does the job.

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, here we go.

My PC I built is rocking an i7 overclocked to 4.2 ghz as well as dual ati 6970s in crossfire.

So what I have setup is every computer in my house is joined to a domain. I have a server on the network that is hosting the domain running a VPN. I can connect to it from anywhere in the world (where I have an internet connection) and RDP to my media pc to either start a recording...or download a movie for later.

It would also come in handy to connect to and view a blocked site at work...but I am the one who controls the firewall at work so...I dont block the sites I go to, haha.

Probably the coolest thing about it, is I have about 2 tbs worth of movies on my computer, and my brother and sister can connect to the VPN and watch those movies whenever they want. I live in FL, my brother is at Tech right now, and my sister lives in SC!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hope this thread stays active. Im starting to get some good ideas, but i know nothing/very little about all this stuff.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea man. For sure, I'm loving the ideas already!

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am putting all that power to good use. The video I am working on right now is in full 1080p. Right now, uncompressed, 2 min is 9gbs!

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Dropping cable this month, because ClownCast and their monopoly service to my community sucks, and satellite is a no-go because of architecture/trees. Sticking with high speed internet (unfortunately still Comcast).

The jist is for now we are going simple so my wife doesn't have to mess with anything she doesn't know already. An antennae will get me set for the four networks and local junk. ESPN3 should supplement me for most of ESPN besides the U. Between Hulu and show websites, the wife is ok with the weekly show lineups online. There is always redbox/blockbuster too.

I've got the Computer/TV/Sound system interfaces simple, under control, and looking/sounding good. If things go well I may upgrade/repurpose an old work PC to replace using my laptop for this task. That would allow a more permanent setup and streamline system to expand to the other TV. It's not optimal, but the laptop is already built for the audio/visual demands.

My question is, does anyone recommend additional services to supplement content further? Our biggest concern is live sports and rainy day inventory.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Dropping cable this month, because ClownCast and their monopoly service to my community sucks, and satellite is a no-go because of architecture/trees. Sticking with high speed internet (unfortunately still Comcast).

The jist is for now we are going simple so my wife doesn't have to mess with anything she doesn't know already. An antennae will get me set for the four networks and local junk. ESPN3 should supplement me for most of ESPN besides the U. Between Hulu and show websites, the wife is ok with the weekly show lineups online. There is always redbox/blockbuster too.

I've got the Computer/TV/Sound system interfaces simple, under control, and looking/sounding good. If things go well I may upgrade/repurpose an old work PC to replace using my laptop for this task. That would allow a more permanent setup and streamline system to expand to the other TV. It's not optimal, but the laptop is already built for the audio/visual demands.

My question is, does anyone recommend additional services to supplement content further? Our biggest concern is live sports and rainy day inventory.

My dad recently bought one of those digital TV antennas for his garage, he picks up all the local stuff and about 20 other channels for free. i dont know if the building and trees would interfere with it or not, but for $49 (the price of the box) he has quite a few channels to choose from when tinkering in the garage.