• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Internet Explorer

Which is your primary internet browser?

• Chrome

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Firefox

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started a new job a few weeks back and we're restricted from installing anything on the laptops they give.

Used Firefox for a long time then switched to Chrome when it got to be better than Firefox.

Now back to being stuck with Internet Explorer and ready to throw the computer out the window because of it.

What is everyone else using?

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you find wrong with IE and which version are you using

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrome and it's not even close
My bookmarks follow me from work to home to tablet to phone. It's a beautiful thing.

only use I.E. for some applications at work that I HAVE to use I.E. for.
If not for those, I would delete it.
FF is good to, but some of my work apps get all weird on it, so only use it as a back up.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you find wrong with IE and which version are you using

We get IE8.

I can't stand how slow it is mostly. The browser on my Galaxy SII renders most images faster, it hangs up constantly on simple tasks, and it presents error messages all the time. (I know it's not a hardware issue, BTW, because it's a brand new laptop that's spec'd pretty impressively)

It doesn't help that the browser is even locked down by the system administrator so that I can't adjust the security settings and get it to stop asking me constantly how I feel about https sites.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrome and it's not even close
My bookmarks follow me from work to home to tablet to phone. It's a beautiful thing.

only use I.E. for some applications at work that I HAVE to use I.E. for.
If not for those, I would delete it.
FF is good to, but some of my work apps get all weird on it, so only use it as a back up.

That's how I am on my home computer.

Chrome is the browser of choice, but if I get a page that won't render correctly for some reason - which is rare, and getting rarer as Chrome evolves - I switch over to Firefox.

The new version of Chrome for Android was a huge step up too, BTW.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a big FF supporter for years now. I like Chrome, but just haven't made the jump yet. I haven't really had anything come up that tells me that one is better than the other. I cannot stand IE.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IE is kept alive by large business usage and the fact that it comes pre-installed on every PC.

I actually use Dolphin on my Android, but maybe I'll check out what Chrome has to offer.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a big FF supporter for years now. I like Chrome, but just haven't made the jump yet. I haven't really had anything come up that tells me that one is better than the other. I cannot stand IE.

this, but my work computer has IE and i HATE it.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. I use Chrome at home though. FF was cool, then it started crashing all the time. No problems with Chrome.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mine did too. Sometimes we get this short window here where the sites that were blocked aren't anymore, so luckily I was able to d/l FF on my work PC's when I had the chance.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes me think of Tommy Boy..."does it make a difference?"

I have ie at work, ff at home, and safari on my phone. They all work fine near as i can tell. I feel like the browser is like tires - it impacts the car a little, but your engine is the real difference maker.

I would also like to point out 2 of those are Apple products. That makes me better than you, more intelligent than you, and better looking than you. If you arent using browsers on Apple products, you are wasting your existence on planet Earth and probably wont get in to Heaven either.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes me think of Tommy Boy..."does it make a difference?"

I have ie at work, ff at home, and safari on my phone. They all work fine near as i can tell. I feel like the browser is like tires - it impacts the car a little, but your engine is the real difference maker.

I would also like to point out 2 of those are Apple products. That makes me better than you, more intelligent than you, and better looking than you. If you arent using browsers on Apple products, you are wasting your existence on planet Earth and probably wont get in to Heaven either.

Which two? I only count Safari out of the three that you mentioned.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrome>>>>all other browsers. I used FF for a long time, and liked it, but the open design of Chrome is awesome. The screen just seems too small in FF now. I like that by logging in to chrome I take my favorites, bookmarks, and history with me. Simplifies things. It's on par with FF on the speed end of things, but I rarely have issues. Only thing that happens is sometimes I get the "not the site you're looking for" thing on twitter/FB. And I think that was just malware.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrome... Also Firefox every once in a while (used to be FF #1 but then it got too bloated/slow and I switched to Chrome full time).

RE: your work situation, IIRC, you can configure a completely portable Firefox to run off an USB drive and leave zero footprint (no installation, no registry settings, no HD files, etc.) with something like this: Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives -- just buy a cheapo USB stick and plug in during work hours and browse happily and stuff...

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've used Fire Fox for the longest time. I still like it but have switched to Chrome. I've used Opera here and there as well. For mobile I use Dolphin.

xalbox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an IT consultant and working with web developing in many of my assignments so far, I have to make sure the web sites works on all (major) browsers, and un-unexpectedly the biggest challenge is to make it work for IE. The other browsers all have their positives and negatives, and IE also have some positives, at least from IE9. The biggest differences is how they interpret HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript... Since CSS3 isn't finalized just yet and HTML5 isn't going to be the standard until 2020 (according to WC3) the differences are really showing in layout and functionality (audio and video streaming most notably). But since the web nowadays uses Javascript much more than before, the Javascript engines are very important. While the IE9 is much improved from the IE8, Chrome and Firefox and the other browsers are really ahead. Creating own "standards" is the way of the past, and while some forks have been included in the standards in the past, it will become even more annoying as a web developer to include all the major browsers while also thinking of the mobile phone formats, iPhone, Android (so many different versions it's impossible to take care of all) as well as all the pads.. it is getting to a point where it's impossible to handle every format there is... there are just too many and with different versions and compatabilities

At work I use Chrome and Firefox (with firebug) mostly when I develop, and only IE and Safari to check if it works.

At home I use Rockmelt, which is based on Chrome, but is integrated with Facebook and also have alot of cool integration with twitter and other websites... check it out..