• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Guitar Talk

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you fellow guitarists never heard of these guys, definitely check them out. Just found them on my iPod, forgot I even had these records...

Django Reinhardt
Eddie Lang
Oscar Aleman
Dick Hyman
Jimmy Rosenberg
Dave Ricketts and Mike Groh of Gaucho
John Jorgenson of the John Jorgenson Quintet

They use interesting scales, and have awesome technique. Aside from shredding, guitar playing has been simplified over the years. Jazz from the early to mid 1900's was so complex. This is actually Gypsy Jazz. Hope you enjoy...

I would like to use this thread to cover stuff that fellow guitarists on SportsHoopla are working on, and maybe review some equip/guitars we have or plan on getting. Would be cool, I don't want to join another forum for guitar playing.

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you fellow guitarists never heard of these guys, definitely check them out. Just found them on my iPod, forgot I even had these records...

Django Reinhardt
Eddie Lang
Oscar Aleman
Dick Hyman
Jimmy Rosenberg
Dave Ricketts and Mike Groh of Gaucho
John Jorgenson of the John Jorgenson Quintet

They use interesting scales, and have awesome technique. Aside from shredding, guitar playing has been simplified over the years. Jazz from the early to mid 1900's was so complex. This is actually Gypsy Jazz. Hope you enjoy...

I would like to use this thread to cover stuff that fellow guitarists on SportsHoopla are working on, and maybe review some equip/guitars we have or plan on getting. Would be cool, I don't want to join another forum for guitar playing.

If you want to check out the best guitarist you've never heard of, youtube frank Marino and Mahogony rush and listen. Right up there with Stevie Ray Vaughn and Hendrix for sure..

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve and SF, you guys play?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Good idea Jeff. I think I am done shopping for the time being.
just got an old DD2, but do I really need four different delays? :L

lately have been on a Mark Knopfler kick - his recent solo stuff (Kill to get Crimson, Get Lucky, etc).
the man's leads are just so damned tasty.

in the meantime - here's one for the holidays

Last edited by a moderator:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been looking at some of the MXR pedals... I've been hearing nothing but good stuff about them. I've always just bought multi-effects pedals, but I hear the sound you get from individual pedals is much better. I'd like to give the MXR GT-OD (overdrive) and EVH90 (phaser) a whirl.

My current amp, Line 6 Spider 212, is full of effects... But their all very digital sounding. I bought it off my bro for cheap, only reason why I got a line 6. Once I have some cash to blow I'd like to grab a decent tube amp.

I've also been hearing great reviews about the Axe-Fx. but the damn thing is like 1,500 bucks, which then has to get put through a power amp, another grand for anything decent, and then into a cab, too much dough for me right now... But I hear the thing is fucking sweet and can pretty much get any sound without sacrificing any tone. Steve Vai, Jeff Loomis and countless other guitar greats today swear by it.

cjs182848

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've heard the same but yea way too much dough to put into that for me too. My friend played one not too long ago said it was absolutely amazing. Loomis rules, I just bought his sig 7 string.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the transition from a 6 string to a 7? I wanna buy one to have more area to cover musically, but I hear it is very awkward at first. I've never even played one.

ChiefWhiteHorse

Scrofula
A little town called none of ya god damn bidness
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite guitarists:

1. Robert Fripp - King Crimson
2. Frank Zappa - Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention
3. Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple/Rainbow in the Dark
4. Steve Howe - Yes/Asia
5. Pete Townshend - The Who (My favorite rhythm guitarist

Yeah, pretty standard list and all, but the more eclectic stuff I like... I like for more than guitar.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
a tube amp should be way high up on your shopping list, Jeff. The issue with stacking pedals infront of a Line6 is that whatever you get out will still sound compressed and digital.
My basic set up is a Traynor YCV50 two channel... the clean rings like a bell, and the dirty sounds like a Rat is in front of it. Cheap as borscht... got it used for under $400. They are a LOT of amp for the money.
Pedals kind of depend on what I am in the mood for on a day to day basis. usually some dirt, delay, loop station, pitch shifter, more delay, and a whammy. :)

I had an Ibanez 7 string, but just ended up using it for way down-low power chords with the root on the B-string.
Ended up trading it away for a Gretsch.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought for sure this thread would be about Peter Frampton:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I know he was in the movie but did Steve Vai do everything in the movie Crossroads? The Classical stuff alone was amazing.

Ry Cooder wrote and performed most of the music in that.
He is also a master of so many different styles. Utterly amazing how proficient he is doing absolutely anything.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love my line 6
Mainly because my stage days are long gone by. The only people who hear me play anything these days are the wife and boy, and only if the headphones aren't on.
No need anymore for multiple pedals, etc.
Nice, compact, easy. All I need.
And wife LOVES it, since my dining room has no dining in it, only guitars on the walls and an amp and my desk. It keeps everything neat and tidy. :-)

Only 3 guitars, a bass, a mandolin and trumpet hanging, and only 1 is my "baby" (Les Paul). If I remember correctly from previous threads and photos, Puck wins hands down for pure volume of way cool equipment. :-)

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the sound of the valveking as well... I'm not sure if I want to invest in more playing equipment... Or if I'd like to get some recording software.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good idea for a thread Jeff!

Anyway, I myself am a classical guitarist for the most part. I have a 3 guitars myself, a strat, a black Alvarez and I have my baby, a classical guitar made with Brazilian Rosewood.

As for what I'm working on, a whole bunch of stuff, but I'll post what I posted in flash the other night:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Tyler, is there any sheetmusic for this composition? Or are you just learning it by ear/eye?