• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Corrupted iPod.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I have cyclic redundancy check errors on my flash drive.

This whole weekend has been nothing but trouble shooting and error fixing.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's looking like I bought a fake memory card.

It has lost its data just a few hours after loading stuff on, 4 times now in the past 16 hours. I've had to reformat it 4 times.

What has been happening is that after a while, some of the stuff I copied onto the memory card wouldn't appear in the Fuze+ anymore, although it was still visible but unplayable on the memory card. And I would start to get memory sector errors.

I'm, now running a tool which will verify the actual size of the flash card, not the potentially tricked size reported by the OS.

I guess there's a reason why the listing was removed from eBay, it was possible because the seller was selling fraudulent items.

I am now using the internal memory on the Fuze+. Files that wouldn't play on the external memory card, are now able to be played.

I've spent over 24 hours this weekend in front of a computer, trouble shooting one thing after another.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just suck it up n pay someone to fix lots of places offer free diagnostics

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just suck it up n pay someone to fix lots of places offer free diagnostics

Yeah, I sent in my iPod Video for diagnostic a few days ago.

My post recent post was about the Fuze+ I got. (Actually it was about the memory card I got for the Fuze+.)

I got another portable media player because I didn't know whether the iPod Video could be fixed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I sent in my iPod Video for diagnostic a few days ago.

My post recent post was about the Fuze+ I got. (Actually it was about the memory card I got for the Fuze+.)

I got another portable media player because I didn't know whether the iPod Video could be fixed.

Interesting ordeal, what is the latest news on iPod?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting ordeal, what is the latest news on iPod?

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this reply.

Ok, here are the updates:

* I sent my iPod to a repair shop, because I couldn't turn it on. They offer a free diagnosis.

The initial diagnostic was:

* Needed a new battery because the cable from the battery was folded. (I probably did that when I tried opening it).

* Needed a new hard drive. They tried a new ribbon cable with the new hard drive I had in there, but it didn't work. Only upon trying both a new ribbon cable and one of their new hard drives, did it work.

I then authorized the repairs, thinking I would just return the new hard drive I bought, back to the eBay seller.

* However, when they started the repairs, they contacted me and said that the hard drive was fine, they tried a few different ribbon cables, and got one that worked.

The repair company refunded me the cost of buying their hard drive, which would have been $79.

So the final cost of trying to repair my iPod was $21 for the new hard drive and iPod opening tools from eBay, and $25 for the new battery from the repair company.

* As for my Fuze+ (my new mp3 player which I got, while not sure of what I would do about the corrupted hard drive in my iPod):

Once I bought a legit memory card, I had no problems with that one either.

So, all of this has left me a little confused.

The new hard drive which I bought from the eBay seller worked, but I was unable to install it myself.

By trying it myself, I ended up doing a little more damage, which was to the battery. And I had to have that repaired.

On the other hand, it's kind of good I got a new battery, because I'm sure the old one would have died at some point anyways.

I was also fortunate that the repair company accepted that just connecting the new hard drive to a good ribbon cable worked, and they didn't charge me for that.

But, what should I do in the future, if/when my iPod hard drive starts failing again? (Years later).

I don't know if I should try it myself. I don't think the experience I got opening the iPod and trying it myself really taught me how to do it properly for next time, since I didn't handle the ribbon cable to the battery, or the ribbon cable to the hard drive properly. Going in, I knew I had to be careful, but apparently was still not careful enough.

And it was tedious.

But then buying a new hard drive from a repair company, and having them install it, is $79.

Whereas the hard drive I bought from eBay (and keeping the opening tools that I already have) would be $18.

I can't just buy another hard drive from eBay again, but then have a repair company install it. I got lucky this time where I was able to buy a hard drive from eBay, try to install it, have a repair company diagnose it, then have the repair company put in a new ribbon cable for the hard drive, and then the battery.

But the repair company in general makes you buy their hard drive and has them install it for you. There is no way to only have them install a hard drive (that I bought myself), they don't separate the costs like that. They said they can't break it down any further, the $79 includes everything.

So the repair company is charging about 4X what it would have cost to buy a hard drive from eBay, but at the end of the day, they do install it right and it comes with a guarantee.