• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a google search, sounds like a interesting read...

I have read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. I loved both of them, but I really need to be able to focus on his stuff. I usually have trouble with people trying to write really geeky concepts that they don't have a complete grasp of. I don't have that problem with him.

Being a crypto geek, I learned just as much from Cryptonomicon as I have in any class.

Why aren't they just riding polar bears?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29769-1350591572-10.gif

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. I loved both of them, but I really need to be able to focus on his stuff. I usually have trouble with people trying to write really geeky concepts that they don't have a complete grasp of. I don't have that problem with him.

Being a crypto geek, I learned just as much from Cryptonomicon as I have in any class.

I've read all of his stuff and I've always gotten the impression that he either really gets it or he's excellent at research.

REAMDE is a bit lighter than some of his others, IMO. Still very long, but the material isn't as dense.

Also, if you liked Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon, I very highly recommend The Diamond Age. It's set in a similar cyberpunk universe as Snow Crash but, IMO at least, is a much more complete novel.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what's worse, the fact that Quebec is moving forward with this motion or the number of comments that agree with Quebec's position:

Quebec looks to ban public employees from wearing Muslim headwear in the workplace

Not sure if it was updated since you posted the link dash (because it shows a different headline now when you click on it), but it does say in the article that it would apply to Sikhs and Jews also. Focusing on Muslim headgear is going to get them the most hits right now, but if they're targeting the law equally to all religions, that's a much different story.

/Not saying I agree, just saying there's a difference.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read all of his stuff and I've always gotten the impression that he either really gets it or he's excellent at research.

REAMDE is a bit lighter than some of his others, IMO. Still very long, but the material isn't as dense.

Also, if you liked Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon, I very highly recommend The Diamond Age. It's set in a similar cyberpunk universe as Snow Crash but, IMO at least, is a much more complete novel.

I barely have time to read magazine articles, but I do have all his other stuff on my next to read list.

How can you NOT love a guy who names his main character "Hiro Protagonist"?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Jersey rejects 'ATHEIST' vanity plate for being offensive - Autoblog

Now personally, I wouldn't have banned the license plate with the word "ATHEIST", however they are probably just trying to get ahead of the game and not have first responders show up when this guy inevitably rubs people the wrong way and gets his ass kicked. In your face atheists are just as bad as over the top religious zealots.

Status
Not open for further replies.