• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Brian Banks wants shot at NFL

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exonerated ex-USC Trojans recruit Brian Banks wants shot at NFL - ESPN Los Angeles

Cleared of a crime he didn't commit, Banks has NFL dreams - NFL.com

Things changed when Banks' accuser, Wanetta Gibson, contacted him on Facebook and -- incredibly -- told him she wanted to let “bygones be bygones.”

“I stopped what I was doing,” he told Sporting News, “and got down on my knees and prayed to God to help me play my cards right.”

Banks set up a series of meetings with Gibson and convinced her to help him clear his name. The catch was that Gibson wouldn't talk to prosecutors out of fear she'd lose the $1.5 million settlement she received after suing the school district for failing to provide a safe environment. (Related note: This woman is the worst.)

Jeez, the dude got screwed by this girl. I honestly don't know if he would have ever made it to the NFL, but lies this chick told sent him to prison for 5 years and then she sought him out on Facebook... I have to agree with the NFL.com writer, this woman is the worst.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exonerated ex-USC Trojans recruit Brian Banks wants shot at NFL - ESPN Los Angeles

Cleared of a crime he didn't commit, Banks has NFL dreams - NFL.com

Jeez, the dude got screwed by this girl. I honestly don't know if he would have ever made it to the NFL, but lies this chick told sent him to prison for 5 years and then she sought him out on Facebook... I have to agree with the NFL.com writer, this woman is the worst.

Do they still have that other football league going that's like the minor leagues? Maybe he could play there or Arena football. I think it's kind of foolish to think you can just play in the NFL. He needs to work his way up to it. He could still play college football couldn't he. I'm all for second chances and first chances in this matter so I'm pulling for him in whatever happens. Just don't think the NFL is the right or realistic way to get back into football straight out of prison.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everytime I read this story I become livid. It represents everything wrong with out justice system. This bitch needs to give back every penny and spend nothing less than 6 years in prison for her lies.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they still have that other football league going that's like the minor leagues? Maybe he could play there or Arena football. I think it's kind of foolish to think you can just play in the NFL. He needs to work his way up to it. He could still play college football couldn't he. I'm all for second chances and first chances in this matter so I'm pulling for him in whatever happens. Just don't think the NFL is the right or realistic way to get back into football straight out of prison.

A way to move up if your not ready for the NFL is making the practice squad first, then moving up that way.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everytime I read this story I become livid. It represents everything wrong with out justice system. This bitch needs to give back every penny and spend nothing less than 6 years in prison for her lies.

She should definitely have to contribute to Banks pocket book. She did one of the worst things a person could possibly do. It's at the top.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She should definitely have to contribute to Banks pocket book. She did one of the worst things a person could possibly do. It's at the top.

Can he file a civil?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll giving exonerated LB another look - NFC West Blog - ESPN

That is kind of funny, when I first saw Carroll recruited him at USC I was wondering if the Seahawks would give him a look in a year or two after he got himself back into football shape with an indoor league or some other semi-pro league.

As douchey as Carroll can be, it is cool that he is doing this for the guy.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seattle to give Brian Banks real shot
Updated: June 6, 2012, 11:25 PM ET
Associated Press

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll says the team intends to give Brian Banks a serious look -- and potentially an invite to minicamp -- during his tryout on Thursday.

Carroll released a statement through the team Wednesday saying that Banks deserves a "second chance at his dream."

Banks was a one-time high school star at Long Beach Poly who was recently exonerated in a California r*pe case in which he was falsely accused.

Banks' tryout was scheduled during one of Seattle's OTA workouts, but the OTA was taken away by the league because Seattle had violated terms of the collective bargaining agreement banning live contact.

But Banks' tryout will still take place. The tryout will not be open to media.

Carroll says he's talked to Banks a couple of times this week and says he's excited about the opportunity. Carroll says if Banks does well, the Seahawks will invite him to next week's minicamp.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Banks' tryout continues
3:42PM ET
Brian Banks

Last week, we made note of the fact that Brian Banks -- who was wrongly imprisoned for six years -- had invitations from four NFL teams to try out this offseason. One of those teams was the Seattle Seahawks -- whose HC, Pete Carroll, recruited Banks during his tenure at USC -- and Banks went through a workout for the club on Thursday. (The Seahawks lost the privilege of staging any more official OTAs for reasons that remain somewhat unclear).

The Seahawks apparently liked what they saw of Banks on Thursday, because they have invited him to participate in their mini-camp, scheduled to take place next week, according to Mike Sando of ESPN's NFC West blog. Carroll even commented that it's "very possible" that Banks will make the roster out of mini-camp, a remarkable turnaround for Banks.

As Sando points out, Banks still has to accept the invite -- he may have a better offer on the table from one of those other interested teams. But if he does choose to take part in Seattle's festivities, it becomes a must-watch event:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
Great offseason story continues

"The minicamp Seattle has scheduled for June 12-14 will take place in a tightly controlled setting. The NFL has already punished the Seahawks for violating rules against contact. The team was going to be under heightened scrutiny for that reason. Throw in Banks, whose story has resonated nationally, and exponentially more eyeballs will be trained on the Seahawks next week. Banks' story is irresistible. It's easy to root for him personally whether or not you're a fan of the team giving him a chance. Seattle camp next week was already mandatory for veterans. It'll become mandatory viewing if Banks accepts the invite."

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are among the teams that have shown an interest in him. He is working out for the SD Chargers today.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Banks, in San Diego, can still run sub-4.7 40 - NFL.com

Like Ray said, the 49ers are among the teams interested in him. The Redskins and Chiefs also want to look at him. He still runs a sub 4.7 40-yard dash..

This is from his Facebook page
Amazing tryout yesterday in Seattle w Coach Carroll, Coach Norton, and Coach Schneider... Great news! I was invited back to mini camp w the Seattle SeaHawks ! God is good. And I am honored.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would be surprised if he came here considering he has better opportunities to actually move up on the depth chart elsewhere.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Can he file a civil?

He could but I heard on sports radio that he opted not to, because she is broke.
You cannot get any money out of someone that's broke.

He can sue the state and get $100 per day he spent in jail.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no real chance the money will be fully paid, unless there's some money she has that I haven't read, but this is a step in the right direction. Anything more, though, like prison, etc., will just discourage those who lied to correct their accusations. So, this is like a Chinese finger trap. You want to go hard on the liar but that'll just discourage justice, but you can't also do nothing, either.

False accuser of Brian Banks, Atlanta Falcons, ordered to pay $2.6M

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Banks should be allowed to hang that woman from the nearest tree. Wow. I wish there were some way they could prosecute her in a criminal court.

I really hope he makes it in the NFL because that he got the ultimate screw job.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no real chance the money will be fully paid, unless there's some money she has that I haven't read, but this is a step in the right direction. Anything more, though, like prison, etc., will just discourage those who lied to correct their accusations. So, this is like a Chinese finger trap. You want to go hard on the liar but that'll just discourage justice, but you can't also do nothing, either.

False accuser of Brian Banks, Atlanta Falcons, ordered to pay $2.6M

So she got $750k and they want $2.6 mil back? That sure is a lot of interest... but I don't feel bad for her because she destroyed Banks' life and probably fucked over that whole school district for a few years. That $750k settlement probably forced them to cut a lot of programs and maybe even forced them to let a few teachers go.

They definitely won't get that money back, but I guess the goal is just to make sure she no longer lives in luxury at the expense of taxpayers.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So she got $750k and they want $2.6 mil back? That sure is a lot of interest... but I don't feel bad for her because she destroyed Banks' life and probably fucked over that whole school district for a few years. That $750k settlement probably forced them to cut a lot of programs and maybe even forced them to let a few teachers go.

They definitely won't get that money back, but I guess the goal is just to make sure she no longer lives in luxury at the expense of taxpayers.

The $750K grew to 1.6 million. 1 million was there as punitive damages.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The $750K grew to 1.6 million. 1 million was there as punitive damages.

Even worse, $1.6 million that could have gone to better teaching facilities and equipment. Just so many different things a school system could spend that money on to improve the education for those kids... instead it went to one liar. Hopefully she used some of that to buy a nice house somewhere, so they can at least get that amount back when they seize it and sell it.