• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oregon Gov. announces no large sporting events

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all have our opinions but let's just be sure we are not ignoring the hard facts.

When people say the flu kills more people than the coronavirus they are worse than stupid, they are idiots.

The CDC estimates that from October 1, 2019, through April 28, 2020, there have been 62,000 flu deaths. As of yesterday there have been over 77,000 coronavirus deaths in the U.S. since February, 2020. That is four months. And even the White House says the toll will go to at least 100,000.

Look at this link and see what the truth is in your state:
Coronavirus Updates (COVID-19) Deaths & Cases per 1M Population | RealClearPolitics

Oh, and did I mention there's going to be a second wave of this stuff? You want to be in a packed stadium then? I want to see college football as much as anyone on this board but there is no way every team in every state is going to be able to play every game on their schedule this fall. If one player, trainer or coach tests positive then that team will get quarantined for at least 14 days and their next opponent(s) also misses a cancelled game(s). You can't have a season where games are being cancelled willy nilly. If you haven't already suffered worse in life, you'll probably suffer something worse in the future than not being able to watch your favorite sport for one season. It sucks; it's life.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love how this thread turned into the Pac thread lol

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure NDSU has never beaten a top 5 team....but troll along scrub.

I’m not an Oregon hater but has NDSU ever even played a top 5 team? And I would think no way Oregon will be in the top 5 for that game if it even happens, possibly top 10 though. I would also think that Ohio State will beat Oregon worse than the Ducks will beat NDSU, again if those games happen. No shame in that either. Ohio State is one of the best teams in the country year in and year out. They are loaded.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure NDSU has never beaten a top 5 team....but troll along scrub.
They beat a good Iowa team on the road ranked around 10 or 11. They won at K state who finished with 8-9 wins. There is a reason teams won’t hardly schedule them. They are a physical Team. I hope Oregon thinks it’s a cakewalk too.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not an Oregon hater but has NDSU ever even played a top 5 team? And I would think no way Oregon will be in the top 5 for that game if it even happens, possibly top 10 though. I would also think that Ohio State will beat Oregon worse than the Ducks will beat NDSU, again if those games happen. No shame in that either. Ohio State is one of the best teams in the country year in and year out. They are loaded.

Pretty easy to see Oregon as a top5 preseason team with the nation's best secondary.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wouldn't be able to beat Texas

Texas got clownstomped the last time they played Oregon. Probably would be a worse beating for the Longhorns if they played this year.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the NCAA really won't have a say. Feels like come hell or high water, SEC will play which the Big 12 will follow. I'm hoping science can make some huge strides in order for all conferences can play this fall
Yep...at least according to this statement. "We’ve reminded you in this space many times that no one is in charge. The NCAA will have little say in football’s return. "

I may be a crusty old cynic (at least according to my wife, kids and grandkids), but I think the CFP will have the loudest voice at the table.

"At a time when every school is enduring a financial crunch, the nearly $500 million annually that flows down to the campuses from the CFP and New Year’s Six bowl games are the closest thing to a unifier that the sport has.

The CFP remains one of the fascinating north stars in all of this. How many games are needed to qualify? What could it end up looking like if there’s a conference-only schedule? Is a 9-1 team with a loss in better shape than an undefeated 7-0 team? Be ready for a mess, as the only certainty at this point is that there will be significant inequity.

Officially, there hasn’t been any discussion about the CFP’s role. That’s viewed essentially as intentional avoidance."

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas got clownstomped the last time they played Oregon. Probably would be a worse beating for the Longhorns if they played this year.
If that win was in the past 10-15 years, beating Texas really hasn't been much of a notch in a team's belt. Even Coach GQ's Yosemite Sam guys had wins against 'em during that time frame.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that win was in the past 10-15 years, beating Texas really hasn't been much of a notch in a team's belt. Even Coach GQ's Yosemite Sam guys had wins against 'em during that time frame.

The 2013 game was a shellacking. The 2000 game (which Oregon also won) was a bit closer.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see stadium workers wearing mask and having their temperature check before going in to the stadium also have the people who scan tickets or sports passes at the gates wear gloves although they have the self scanning machines now that do the work so that may not be much of a problem. I don't know how they can practice safe distance for fans when they go to concession stands.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean dead man walking coached, mack brown Texas team?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean dead man walking coached, mack brown Texas team?

Sure...let's be honest though. Every coach at Texas is "dead man walking" at this point. Their program has become pretty shitty.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see stadium workers wearing mask and having their temperature check before going in to the stadium also have the people who scan tickets or sports passes at the gates wear gloves although they have the self scanning machines now that do the work so that may not be much of a problem. I don't know how they can practice safe distance for fans when they go to concession stands.

Or the bathroom.