• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orakpo

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting interview.

Friday Conversation: Brian Orakpo - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

Lends credence to what Dad has been preaching for awhile now. Rushing the passer is not always their first priority as a 3-4 OLB in our scheme. Usually, the first priority is outside contain. Which means they can't do any sort of inside counter move. Then, many times they have coverage responsibility in the flats by the RB. Again, they can't just pin their ears back and go at the QB. They have to make sure the RB does flare out.

All this leads to the question......WTF? We have 2 premier pass rushers in the league and, more times than not, we don't have them rushing the passer as a first priority? Especially when we know that pressure on the QB is paramount to helping our weak secondary? does this make sense to anyone not named Haslett?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shouldn't be surprise to you. You can see it in the rush. When you see them push back but stay engaged while staying wide they are reading the play and waiting to react. If you are rushing only three down lineman than a fourth guy has to come from somewhere. If they rushed both guys on every play the other team would game plan for that. Watch Orakpo's side of the field, teams game plan for his burst into the backfield and either run in the hole he created or dump a pass in the flat for the same reason.

Having said that I would like to see them do more stunts like they did the other game where the put them both on the same side of the field to free up Orakpo to make the sack. I liked in preseason when they went to 6 LBs with Kerrigan or Tapp with a hand in the dirt. At the same time Haslett is having to try to cover for players due to lack of talent. The team needs better talent on the field and if that happens both Orakpo and Kerrigan will be allowed to more.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also look at Rak starting to get healthier as well

the only thing that sets him apart from kerrigan now is 5 tackles .

if you watched the 49er game i saw only a handful of times when both kerrigan and Rak rushed the passer at the same time

how can Rak or kerrigan beat their double teams when you have nield golston , and baker rushing the passer ? add jenkins too ?
i believe that rak and kerrigan need to be moved around and have offenses guess where they are coming from and guys like baker, and jenkins and golston need to deal with contain

Last edited by a moderator:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rak is having a very bad year. He should be way more productive. I cant see giving this guy 6-7 million per season next year. If we franchise tag him isn't that 7 mil a year? Kerrigan has also slowed down too. I thought these guys would be a huge part of our defense and they are just not being affective. Bowen has also been a major disappointment this season. The only two guys I would resign on our defense right now is Hall and Riley. If rak walks I would be ok with it.

I rather put that money into Talib. I think talib, Amerson, and resign Hall would be very nice for our secondary in 2014.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rak is having a very bad year. He should be way more productive. I cant see giving this guy 6-7 million per season next year. If we franchise tag him isn't that 7 mil a year? Kerrigan has also slowed down too. I thought these guys would be a huge part of our defense and they are just not being affective. Bowen has also been a major disappointment this season. The only two guys I would resign on our defense right now is Hall and Riley. If rak walks I would be ok with it.

I rather put that money into Talib. I think talib, Amerson, and resign Hall would be very nice for our secondary in 2014.
do you know why kerrigan has slowed down ?

and hey if you think Rak isnt all that (which you are wrong about ) then thats better for us .

RAk is are best defender by far

you need to understand the difference between very very good and superstar . you also need to look at how they are used in this version of the 3-4

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Rak our best defender when last year he wasn't even missed with the play of Rob Jackson? I hear Kerrigan has a knee problem. Rak is going to want big money in FA. He is not worth it in my opinion. Our best defender this year is Hall without a doubt.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Rak our best defender when last year he wasn't even missed with the play of Rob Jackson? I hear Kerrigan has a knee problem. Rak is going to want big money in FA. He is not worth it in my opinion. Our best defender this year is Hall without a doubt.

I would agree and what does that say about our defense?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It says that we are not getting the production out of out start players.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

of course he was missed . jackson isnt all that . he is rak's BU for a reason . PFF has ranked as our top defender and it isnt even close .

now rak has 6.5 sacks and from the looks of it he has the likes of Jenkins , baker , nield and golston rushing with him

not very imposing at all for offenses . take into account offenses KNOW where he is coming from (same with kerrigan ) and now you know why

we are on pace to have more sacks , hurries , hits and pressures with Rak in there

head to head rak vs jackson

207 tackle Rak 57 jackson
sacks 36 rak (5th all time in team history ) jackson 7.5
6 ff rak 3 ff jackson
1 int rak 5 int jackson
both have a td
16 PDs rak , Jackson has 8

in no way shape or form is jackson better

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson may not be better but he is as good for a lot cheaper. Do you really pay Rak 6-7 million a year? That money should go to Talib. Have Jackson, Jenkins, and Tapp compete for the other OLB position.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson may not be better but he is as good for a lot cheaper. Do you really pay Rak 6-7 million a year? That money should go to Talib. Have Jackson, Jenkins, and Tapp compete for the other OLB position.

how do you know how much Rak will want ? and you dont think talib will want big money to play for a loser ?

and in no way shape or form is he "as good " either . If he was he would start he doesnt have anywhere near the impact or stats Rak does . Its a joke to think that way

Jackson is a down grade period

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you noticed on run downs Jackson is in and Rak is out. Jackson subs in for Rak a lot. Kerrigan never comes out. I think Rak is going to ask for at least 6 mil. What do you think he is going to want???

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you noticed on run downs Jackson is in and Rak is out. Jackson subs in for Rak a lot. Kerrigan never comes out. I think Rak is going to ask for at least 6 mil. What do you think he is going to want???

the snap counts i have looked at dont bear that out . plus jackson is one strike away from a years suspension for drugs

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charley Casserly weighs in:

“The secondary, you can overhaul that whole thing,” Casserly said. “The defensive line, depth is a factor there. London Fletcher, he’s up there [in age]. He’s not the player he was. You have to wonder where he’s going to be in a year because he’s in decline this year and he probably wouldn’t be as good next year as he is this year. But if he wanted to come back, I’d take him back. He still plays his position better than anybody in the secondary plays theirs.” Riddick called the Redskins’ other inside linebacker, Riley, “an average starter in the NFL.” He said that Kerrigan and Orakpo “are interesting. [But] is either one of them an elite outside pass rusher in a 3-4 [defensive alignment]? No.”
Orakpo might value himself differently in free agency than the Redskins value him, said Riddick, who added: “You don’t want to get rid of him. But that’s gonna be a tricky situation” to work out a mutually agreeable contract.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charley Casserly weighs in:

“The secondary, you can overhaul that whole thing,” Casserly said. “The defensive line, depth is a factor there. London Fletcher, he’s up there [in age]. He’s not the player he was. You have to wonder where he’s going to be in a year because he’s in decline this year and he probably wouldn’t be as good next year as he is this year. But if he wanted to come back, I’d take him back. He still plays his position better than anybody in the secondary plays theirs.” Riddick called the Redskins’ other inside linebacker, Riley, “an average starter in the NFL.” He said that Kerrigan and Orakpo “are interesting. [But] is either one of them an elite outside pass rusher in a 3-4 [defensive alignment]? No.”
Orakpo might value himself differently in free agency than the Redskins value him, said Riddick, who added: “You don’t want to get rid of him. But that’s gonna be a tricky situation” to work out a mutually agreeable contract.

That's going to be the problem. Based on his statements in this interview, he feels that others out there value him as an elite OLB. Hardly anyone that I know that has watched him this year consider him elite. Good? Yes. Elite? No. Based on the way the Skins FO has handled players recently, my guess is they are going to let him test the FA waters. This move has risk, but maybe its for the best. It has certainly worked out in the past when handling the likes of Fletcher, Hall, and Davis.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Rak walk, there is no way you can justify Rak being the highest or second Highest paid player on this team. 7 mil is way too much. Someone will give it to him. I hope its not us.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, Dean. So who do you replace him with?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already said it. Jackson who will sign back cheap. Jenkins we drafted him for a reason. Tapp decent player. Most likely Jackson/Jenkins. You will get the same overall production for very cheap money.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will get them for cheaper, but we won't get the same production. Jackson has done well when we has played, just not sure if he is an every down OLB. Jenkins we have no idea about. R OLB is a critical position in our defense. We have to have solid performance from that slot.

Of course it all depends on who the coaches are. IF our scheme changes, all bets are off.