• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Only SLIGHTLY early mock draft 2015

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the official, unofficial GM of this board one of my duties is to prepare for the upcoming NFL draft. Yes, the draft is still 5 months away and we still do not know exactly our draft spot. I am going to base my projection on a final record of 9-7 and picking at #14. I am also making a trade prediction. I feel Stacy will get trade around draft time to obtain some of the picks we lost in the Barron deal. I am thinking we could get a 4th for Stacy..so here we go:

1st - Jaelen Strong, WR Arizona St: I thought long and hard about an offensive lineman here but looking at how deep the draft class will be I decided that another playmaker for whoever our QB will be (more on that later) was the way to go. He is clearly the next best WR after Amari Cooper so I swiped him up.

2nd - Brett Hundley, QB UCLA: If he is gone when we select, my plan B is Denzel Perryman, OLB Miami. I think we all know that QB is a priority for us in this draft. You will see I have a plan B QB as well in just a second. Hundley is the guy I think will fit the Rams the best. He is athletic, a leader and accurate both from the pocket and on the run.

3rd - Josue Matias, OG Florida St: If Hundley is gone in round 2, we SHOULD select Bryce Petty, QB Baylor here instead of Matias. But if we get Hundley and Matias, we have done VERY well.

4th - Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB Louisville: Dude is flat out a baller. Reminds me of Tree a LOT. If we lost out on Hundley and take Petty in the 3rd, then you go with one of 3 O line guys here, Mickey Baucus from Arizona, BJ Finney from Kansas State or Arie Kouandjio from Bama.

5th - Andy Gallick, C/OG Boston College: With as many as 5 guys on the roster now possibly NOT being here in 2015, we need to reload. Dude is versatile.

So there you have it... let's discuss, and of course GO RAMS!!

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So strong would be replacing Britt?

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like that draft. At all! Of course JMHO

I don't like taking a WR in the first round. We've burned too many picks on that position in the last 3 years. We have to let these guys develop and maybe sprinkle in a vet here and there. Just like we did with Brit. I would sign him to a 3 year deal. But at a discounted Rate. He's been ok but just ok.

Hundley? Uhg. I don't think he's very good. I've watched him all year and I just don't see the "it" factor. Yes I have a boner for Marcus Mariota but I doubt we get him if we continue to win.

The only pick i agree with is the OG in the 3rd.

I dont know enough about the other pick to really give an opinion on.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So strong would be replacing Britt?

Actually, Strong would replace Pettis. Remember we are working with 5 WR since Pettis was cut. So we would have Quick,Britt,Strong,Austin,Bailey and Givens.

I don't like taking a WR in the first round. We've burned too many picks on that position in the last 3 years. We have to let these guys develop and maybe sprinkle in a vet here and there. Just like we did with Brit. I would sign him to a 3 year deal. But at a discounted Rate. He's been ok but just ok.

Like I said, I thought very hard about O line there at #14, and we could indeed take Scherff or Ogebuehi at #14 and then look at a WR in the 3rd. If you have watched Hundley a lot, that means you have watched Strong too as he is also Pac-12. Dude is a beast. I understand the trepidation on a WR so maybe if not O line, maybe we go OLB or CB with that first pick and again look at WR later in the draft. As for not liking Hundley, here is why I think he is the guy. He is the clear 3rd best QB in this draft and with missing out on Mariota and Winston, we NEED to address the QB issue. IMO either Hundley or Petty will be good fits. I also have a sneaking suspision that Hundley will be gone before we pick in round 2, so it may be a moot point.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Walter Footballs mock for the Rams for the first 3 rounds.

1. La'El Collins, OT/G, LSU - The Rams' offensive line played better once Greg Robinson moved into the starting lineup, but Robinson has been asked to move to left tackle in the wake of Jake Long's injury. Long is too unreliable at this stage of his career.

2. Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma - Brian Quick has emerged as a solid starting receiver - though he's finished for the year - while Tavon Austin can be used on trick plays, but the Rams need to find another wideout to put into the lineup.

3. Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss - The Rams will probably look into adding cornerback depth at some point during the 2015 NFL Draft, as there is very little behind the top three players at that position.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like all 3 of those players UVA, but we MUST get a QB in the first 3 rounds imo. Also, DGB is not lasting to the 2nd round, much less to our pick in the 2nd. I am going to call it now, DGB ends up in New England at the end of round 1.
I could see us going CB,O line and QB in some order in the first three rounds, but again I feel like the guys like Walter, Draftsite and CBS are neglecting the fact that we need a QB.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that mock, they have Hundley going a couple spots below us to Buffalo and have the Pats picking up Rashaad Green from FSU in the 2nd round and going with a Defensive Lineman at the end of round 1. So could definitely pick up Hundley if things go that way but with quite a few teams needing a QB and only 2 worthy of the 1st round, I'd be shocked if he was available by the time the Rams pick in round 2. If we went after one in round 3, maybe Garrett Grayson?

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 4 needs are QB, CB, G, C

No WR in the top 2 rounds!

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Bradford off the books, we gotta be able to bring in a couple of decent free agents!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Bradford off the books, we gotta be able to bring in a couple of decent free agents!

Unless he's cut, he's going to be here one more year with his big salary.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he's cut, he's going to be here one more year with his big salary.

with a fragile knee? the only way they bring him back is with a MASSIVE pay cut!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rams dont get a QB in rd1, are we sure Bradford is off the books?

A LB would be nice, too, by the way. I just think there are probably 2 oline spots to fill and Janoris Jenkins has probably busted at this point.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford's current contract will come off the books regardless. They are not paying him 17 million next year. They might re sign him at 2 or 3 million, but either way his big salary will be off the books.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford's current contract will come off the books regardless. They are not paying him 17 million next year. They might re sign him at 2 or 3 million, but either way his big salary will be off the books.
I can see that.

At this point, its a high probability that either Bradford or Winston will be the starting QB next year. Its hard to tell where Winston would get drafted but he could fall.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rams dont get a QB in rd1, are we sure Bradford is off the books?

A LB would be nice, too, by the way. I just think there are probably 2 oline spots to fill and Janoris Jenkins has probably busted at this point.

When I say off the books I mean brought back at a reduced rate or cut. This could get interesting because both Austin Davis and Shaun Hill are free agents! So we have to bring back somebody, we cant just let them all walk. My guess is Bradford will refuse to rework then get cut. Bradford would count 3.6 mill in dead $$ if they cut him. Right now I think they will probably resign Davis, not sure what they would do with Hill. If Hill test FA, we will have to draft someone or bring in someone from FA.

On Janoris Jenkins, you were right, you wont see him as my avatar anymore! :L Is he a bust? You could be right. He cost us a lot of points this year at crucial parts in the game. What the hell happened to him? He played well his rookie year, but that seems to be the norm with these young kids(one hit wonders) He will need to be replaced, maybe FA?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now there is a chance the Rams, losing Davis and Hill and either cutting Bradford completely or drastically reducing his salary, could go after a FA QB like Hoyer, Mallett, Ponder or (gasp) Sanchez. However, I still think you draft a QB in the first 3 rounds to go with whichever FA QB and Case Keenum. Personally, I think our 3 active QB's next year will be Mallett, Hundley and Keenum. I think Bradford signs a deal in Houston and does ok, but not great.
Clayton, while I agree we have 2 o line spots to fill, I think we will fill one through FA. Mike Iupati is a FA and a beast of an interior lineman. Pair him with a rookie RT and have Robinson,Saffold and Jones at the other 3 spots and boom! Draft another interior lineman later in the draft to be mentored by Iupati (hell he can mentor Saffold!)
Also, on JJ. I can see them maybe dangling him for a pick as well and then going after a CB in the draft or simply letting Joyner be a CB and find someone for the slot like Alexander. My personal opinion is put JJ in the slot with Tru and Gaines on the outside. That way, JJ's propensity to gamble can be covered by McDonald,Barron and McCloud.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be all about the Rams going after Hoyer. I think he's a good QB thats playing on a bad team. he's elevated everyone around him. And he doesn't need to be taught as he's already been in the league for awhile.
I don't like the Idea of any other of those QB's because they're either untested or washed up.

Personally I would hang on to Davis and pick up Hoyer in FA. He'll be a hot commodity but he'll leave Cleveland for the right price. If we can be lucky enough to land both of them that would create good QB competition in the offseason.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Bradford will be the QB next year. This draft is week at QB depth. The only question with Bradford is if he can stay healthy. He can make all the throws. he had so much more zip on the ball this year from working out his upper body during his rehab, up until he got hurt. He doesn't make dumb mistakes or panics like Davis that cost you games. I know he has he's not exciting but with a couple more pieces on this defense and a solid draft we don't need an Aaron Rodgers to win a lot of games.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be all about the Rams going after Hoyer. I think he's a good QB thats playing on a bad team. he's elevated everyone around him. And he doesn't need to be taught as he's already been in the league for awhile.
I don't like the Idea of any other of those QB's because they're either untested or washed up.

Personally I would hang on to Davis and pick up Hoyer in FA. He'll be a hot commodity but he'll leave Cleveland for the right price. If we can be lucky enough to land both of them that would create good QB competition in the offseason.

I think he is an average QB playing behind a good line. Sure Gordan has been out all year, and Cameran a good chunck of it. But Hoyer is ranked like 22nd in QBR and is 37th in completion % among QB's with at least 100 attempts, that's not good considering there are only 32 teams in the NFL.

I will give you that he has them winning, but then again maybe they are winning in spite of him, I don't know. Cleveland has a nice win over Pitt, and a win over a jekyll/Hyde New Orleans, but they did lose to Jacksonville, and had a few close wins against lesser teams.

I don't know, that's just my take on it!