• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why I like to call him Moneyhands (heck of a play by Dougie leading up to the nice finish.

AbandonedOrnateBarnswallow.gif

The OT winner from last night - You shoot it, no you shoot it, no you shoot it, okay!

PopularForthrightHypacrosaurus.gif

I was there, Dash! Pretty slow start, but the ending made up for it, and Monahan's goal... wow.

Pissed at the Sens for tying it up with 1:02 remaining though. If they'd waited two seconds, I'd have a free Big Mac!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chemistry between Cam Atkinson and John Tavares is undeniable.

Sorry, Toronto. Johnny T will be coming to the 'bus.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Islanders are looking for a new arena...

Brooklyn’s Barclays Center Is Dumping the Islanders
That Barclay's move was a disaster from day 1.

I would assume MSG Company probably has no interest in having another hockey team as a tenant given that they've already got two full-time tenants, several smaller teams and tournaments, and a shitload of concerts and other special events.

So it's either back to the Island, a new arena, or complete relocation. I doubt option #3 is really an option, so we'll see how it plays out.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I didn't know that NVMC is undergoing a massive renovation with a completion date later this year - Sounds like this is the best option currently for the Isles.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great couple weeks for Dabolts huh??? :gaah:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So it's either back to the Island, a new arena, or complete relocation. I doubt option #3 is really an option, so we'll see how it plays out.
Maybe it is though?

The Isles are lucky the Coyotes and Thrashers and Panthers existed in the last 20 years because that franchise has been run into the ground over that time. Back to the island (or further out, technically) isn't really an option (I heard today the redeveloped NVMC will only hold 13k for hockey) and IMO building a new barn in Queens is a tough task in a city with two world class arenas as it is (three counting Newark) and will probably have the same attendance issues even if it's built to hockey specs. I get the history of the team and the fact they do still have a decent LI-based fan base but barring an (at this point) unlikely new barn near their old one (whose owners would put money into a fight against any competition for concert and event dollars), what options are left for them in that region?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettman on Saturday:

“There are some issues about playing in Barclays, it may be fundamental to the ice system and that’s not something that can be fixed in the short term,” the commissioner said. “I think as is prudent, Scott Malkin and Jon Ledecky are reviewing the situation and looking very seriously at what their options are.”

Barclays Center today: Pack your shit!

:pound:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is though?

The Isles are lucky the Coyotes and Thrashers and Panthers existed in the last 20 years because that franchise has been run into the ground over that time. Back to the island (or further out, technically) isn't really an option (I heard today the redeveloped NVMC will only hold 13k for hockey) and IMO building a new barn in Queens is a tough task in a city with two world class arenas as it is (three counting Newark) and will probably have the same attendance issues even if it's built to hockey specs. I get the history of the team and the fact they do still have a decent LI-based fan base but barring an (at this point) unlikely new barn near their old one (whose owners would put money into a fight against any competition for concert and event dollars), what options are left for them in that region?
I wouldn't count Newark personally. I've got no hard data to back this up, but I can't imagine too many people are venturing from NYC into beautiful downtown Newark for many events. And MSG and Barclays are both doing fantastic in terms of concerts and other events, so I wouldn't say there's significant excess arena capacity in the city right now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't count Newark personally. I've got no hard data to back this up, but I can't imagine too many people are venturing from NYC into beautiful downtown Newark for many events. And MSG and Barclays are both doing fantastic in terms of concerts and other events, so I wouldn't say there's significant excess arena capacity in the city right now.
Mmmmm I would say they do. If there's an event you can't get tickets to in BK or MSG, why not take an extra 15-20 minutes to get to Newark? They do it for Jets/Giants games, that's for sure.

That's the thing, though - those two arenas are doing great. Throw a third into the mix, how much of a revenue drop do they see? How much leverage do they lose when organizers and promoters can say "Oh, theres a new arena in Queens that needs to fill 320 dates if you don't like what we're offering"? Keep in mind MSG fought tooth and nail against the West Side Stadium for that very reason and won.

Status
Not open for further replies.