• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Johnny single out Eric Robinson as a pretty good buddy of his? Also, I think he made mention of a hospital in Columbus for his wife. I think the COVID travel restrictions between Canada and the States also factored into Johnny's decision to leave Calgary.
They played together up til High School and his parents and the Robinsons' owned a rink or some sort of business together. His wife's specialty is pediatrics and Nationwide Children's hospital is one of the top 5 in the country.
He also gets along well with Zach Werenski who he knows from Team USA at the worlds. Plus he is close friends with Cam Atkinson who lives here year round.

A guy who grew up in South Jersey knows how awful it is to live in North Jersey.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would want to go THERE?

Jarmo's got some major decisions in the next few years.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add to my post above, there is no doubt that the aging Saddledome (lest we forget the arena was flooded almost 10 years ago with waters reaching almost 10 rows high in the lower bowl) is likely not helping when it comes to attracting/retaining players to stay in Calgary.
Does Calgary have a team-specific training facility? Lacking that is starting to be a pretty big problem in the NHL for attracting guys.

Saddledome might be a shithole for fans but it shouldn’t really impact players unless their facilities are complete crap which it may be.

I need to know what specifically makes the Devils franchise so revolting? I'd say Newark plays a role but every city in the midwest is a hellscape.

Getting there for practice in the morning probably sucks coming from where players probably live in that area (Summit/Chatham/the good Orange/etc.). And management hasn’t exactly made themselves look great the past few years.

But still, they got Dougie Hamilton to sign there. They were at least in on JG. There’s still at least some of an attraction. Play better and there will be more.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Calgary have a team-specific training facility? Lacking that is starting to be a pretty big problem in the NHL for attracting guys.

I don't think they do (there is Winsport in the NW part of the city, but that's Hockey Canada).

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The four years with the Blackhawks was throwing me. Of course my hockey knowledge from before around 1970 is not very good.

The classic story of Espo and Bobby Orr in a Vancouver hotel room when Harry Sinden walks into the room and says, "Phil, I have to talk to you"

Espo: Harry, if you're telling me you've traded me to the Rangers, I'm going to jump out this window
Sinden: Bobby, move away from the window.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add to my post above, there is no doubt that the aging Saddledome (lest we forget the arena was flooded almost 10 years ago with waters reaching almost 10 rows high in the lower bowl) is likely not helping when it comes to attracting/retaining players to stay in Calgary.
Are there any plans to replace it? I know youre not looking for a hero to step in and fund a replacement all by themselves, but I do hope there is hockey life in Calgary beyond Saddledome.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any plans to replace it? I know youre not looking for a hero to step in and fund a replacement all by themselves, but I do hope there is hockey life in Calgary beyond Saddledome.

Yeah, there are plans to build a new arena, but the city and Murray Edwards are haggling over who is going to pay for what. At this point, I think Ottawa will get a new downtown arena before the Flames get their new arena.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there are plans to build a new arena, but the city and Murray Edwards are haggling over who is going to pay for what. At this point, I think Ottawa will get a new downtown arena before the Flames get their new arena.
Hopefully a deal is struck and out of the ruins, out from the wreckage builders wont make the same mistakes this time.

It's also insane how the cost of an arena and/or stadium has increased so much over the last 25 years/

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully a deal is struck and out of the ruins, out from the wreckage builders wont make the same mistakes this time.

It's also insane how the cost of an arena and/or stadium has increased so much over the last 25 years/
I just looked and Oriole Park cost 110m (212m Inflation adjusted to today). T-Mobile in Vegas cost 350m.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just looked and Oriole Park cost 110m (212m Inflation adjusted to today). T-Mobile in Vegas cost 350m.
The land in Vegas was probably costlier (not sure if that's counting into the construction costs on both).

But generally speaking construction labour costs more today, material costs are definitely higher and then there's the technology that goes into these places, stricter codes regarding environmental impacts etc., amenities, all of that.

All in all the big jump was going from cookie cutters and true "arenas" in the 60s-80s to the modern definition of event centres and sport-specific stadiums like ballparks and football fields.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The land in Vegas was probably costlier (not sure if that's counting into the construction costs on both).

But generally speaking construction labour costs more today, material costs are definitely higher and then there's the technology that goes into these places, stricter codes regarding environmental impacts etc., amenities, all of that.

All in all the big jump was going from cookie cutters and true "arenas" in the 60s-80s to the modern definition of event centres and sport-specific stadiums like ballparks and football fields.

Both Camden Yards (Orioles and Ravens Stadiums) are built on waterfront property.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Camden Yards (Orioles and Ravens Stadiums) are built on waterfront property.
Was there a big demand for waterfront land in Baltimore in the early 90s? Always understood that CY was considered more of a “let’s spur development” kind of project.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda. It was full of industrial waste. And I am sure Willie Don Schaefer (Mayor then Governor) pretty well picked up the land for free under Eminent Domain. No proof, but seems like something he'd do.

Like he tried to steal the Colts from Irsay.

Was there a big demand for waterfront land in Baltimore in the early 90s? Always understood that CY was considered more of a “let’s spur development” kind of project.
More along the harbor and to the east (Science center, Aquarium, Harborplace). Prior to Camden Yards the land was just old abandoned industrial space and projects. And a kick ass rock and roll bar called Hammerjacks.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. The complainant is also throwing shade at Virtanen's game.

`I'm going to suggest to you, though, that you know he's an NHL player and that you are getting close to him -- indeed in that video getting close to him -- because you are interested in him,'' Martland (Virtanen's attorney) said.

``No,'' the woman replied.

``Did you know that NHL players make significant income?'' Martland asked.

``I don't know NHL players' incomes,'' she said.

``To be honest, I didn't think Jake was very relevant in the NHL so I didn't think he'd make that much money.''

Ouch!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M&T is not far from water* but I wouldn't say it was waterfront. The whole area was just a bunch of old industry, warehouses, unused train tracks, and Pig Town.** There is water everywhere in the area, when I was a kid and my father briefly had a private pilots license - the first thing that amazed us as kids was how much we were surrounded by water.

*Its on a cove where a giant "waste to energy incinerator" is, so its debatable if that liquid can be considered "water".

**Sadly not named after the animals, but a pig iron furnace.