• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One Year Contracts

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I talked about this earlier in the year when not only were the Redskins signing guys to one year contracts but also many other teams. I still think this may be the new era of football for however long it lasts. Even when you sign a guy to multiple years the contracts are essentially a series of one year contracts. If you listened to Cousins before you would have heard him say that. Maybe that is how things go, not only for him but other players too.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a wonderful concept, but just like renting month to month, at some point the cost of renting becomes untenable. Because as the renter, you always risk the owner getting a better offer. And as the owner, you always risk the renter finding a better deal and you are stuck with an empty property that you still got to manage.

Not to mention if you are the renter, you can never actually plan long term because you always have to be prepared to move, so you never really unpack and get settled.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you will see more of this

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the ramifications. So do the players. They know they can sign a 5 year contract and be let go in one or two years. The owners know the hook to get players to sign is guaranteed money. It makes most contracts at lest two years in length only because an unhappy team might not want to pay the dead cap money if they cut the guy.

At the same time you can not deny there are a lot of one year contracts, not only with Redskins but other teams. Until it effects the players on even more so in a negative way my guess is you are going to see more and more of it.

We'll see. We signed two DLmen to longer term contracts that I believe the team can get out of fairly cheaply in two years. We signed a few players to one year contracts.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the ramifications. So do the players. They know they can sign a 5 year contract and be let go in one or two years. The owners know the hook to get players to sign is guaranteed money. It makes most contracts at lest two years in length only because an unhappy team might not want to pay the dead cap money if they cut the guy.

At the same time you can not deny there are a lot of one year contracts, not only with Redskins but other teams. Until it effects the players on even more so in a negative way my guess is you are going to see more and more of it.

We'll see. We signed two DLmen to longer term contracts that I believe the team can get out of fairly cheaply in two years. We signed a few players to one year contracts.
One year contracts sound great for the player, until they suffer a major injury on a one year deal. Then they are screwed. Since after the season, they are not under contract, rehab (and the cost) is on their own. They also get screwed with their next signing (see Jr Gallette). When a couple of these situations occur and other players see how risky it is, they will go back to the multiyear deals with guarantees for the first couple of years.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One year contracts sound great for the player, until they suffer a major injury on a one year deal. Then they are screwed. Since after the season, they are not under contract, rehab (and the cost) is on their own. They also get screwed with their next signing (see Jr Gallette). When a couple of these situations occur and other players see how risky it is, they will go back to the multiyear deals with guarantees for the first couple of years.

Understand and their is certainly a risk. The players are not in total control though. For as many players as signed one year contracts this year maybe that is how the can best maximize their money.

I can't say I know how contracts work when players get a season or most of the season long injury. Maybe this is a way owners are trying to maximize their dollars so they don't sign someone for multiple years and get stuck with a player who cannot play.

That is the point of this thread. How prominent will this type of contract be? Will it be something we see more and more in the future.

Terrelle Pryor is considered to be a focal point of the offense signed a one year deal, Zach Brown coming off a career year signed a one year deal. Cousins is now on his 2nd one year deal. It is interesting that both last year and this year we have heard Cousin's say it isn't a big deal to be on a one year contract. Time will tell.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still do not understand them from the player's perspective, unless you have to sign a one year prove it deal. Sure a player could be cut after the first year of a 5 year deal, that's why they always negotiate a pretty decent bonus that they get to keep unlike on a one year deal.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think the player wants the longer term contract. Maybe they just aren't being offered.