• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OK how was that roughing the passer ?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just kind of laugh when Eli supporters say he is a definite Hall of Famer. However, even though he's average, the Manning name and the two Super Bowls give him a good chance of getting into the HOF. It would be undeserved, IMO.

Same thing I feel about Namath.....and Lynn Swann for that matter.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defenders know that you cant hit a QB in the front of his legs like that.

Yeah, it was an unfortunate play, but I don't think it was the incorrect call.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was definitely God awful officiating today, but this has been going on all season. If the replacement refs were around right now you know they'd be getting crucified by ESPN and NFL announcers, but for some reason they won't speak up about how bad the regular officials are.

Of course, not all of it is due to the refs. Some of these absolute bullshit rules created by Goodell and his cronies need to go. Like you said, there were two legitimate tackles today that were penalized by the refs. It's a joke.

Please remember "Goodell and his cronies" are protecting the NFL and it's employees so they can continue to give you a product due to lawsuits by ex-players. Also, the current players agreed to the contract and the rule changes. So, to sum up, the ex-players, current players, the player's union and NFL legal liability are the reason for the current rules, not just Goodell and his cronies.

Do I agree with the interpretations many refs are using? Absolutely not. These rules will get defined better in hte off season. I guarantee that.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you've seen that Brooks play on Brees that drew a flag, what are your honest thoughts? IMO, more evidence of how the current rules are making what we watch on Sundays something less than real football.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my question assumes that the play was called correctly. I actually don't think it was because I didn't see Brooks ever hit Brees in the neck. He hit him in the chest; it just looked like he hit him in the neck because of the speed and force of the tackle.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my question assumes that the play was called correctly. I actually don't think it was because I didn't see Brooks ever hit Brees in the neck. He hit him in the chest; it just looked like he hit him in the neck because of the speed and force of the tackle.

Horrible call against the Niners… The hit was clean and NO head contact… Just a horrible call…

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't like the penalty call at all but you were watching Kaep and Harblow complain.

Brooks went way too high for the current rules, especially, on a guy like Brees who had a bit of blood coming from his mouth. Maybe he was chewing on ketchup packets. :noidea:

Brooks clothes lined him just good enough and it was definitely higher than the chest, robo, c'mon, but
given that, I don't like all of these unnecessary roughness, hitting a defenseless receiver and hits on the QB. It's football !!

In 2020, it will be similar to flag football.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the penalty call at all but you were watching Kaep and Harblow complain.

Brooks went way too high for the current rules, especially, on a guy like Brees who had a bit of blood coming from his mouth. Maybe he was chewing on ketchup packets. :noidea:

Brooks clothes lined him just good enough and it was definitely higher than the chest, robo, c'mon, but
given that, I don't like all of these unnecessary roughness, hitting a defenseless receiver and hits on the QB. It's football !!

In 2020, it will be similar to flag football.

When I think "clothes line", I think of a shot to the neck. I've re-watched the play about 4 times. I still don't see a shot to the neck. Brooks got him in the upper chest and shoulder pads.

If that was correctly called according to the current rules, then the rules should be changed so that we can get back to real football.

I have jokingly suggested in other threads that perhaps the NFL should just make it a two-hand touch rule when a QB is dropping back to pass. That way Goodell really gets what he wants. QB's should hardly ever get injured if that were the rule. LOL.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I think "clothes line", I think of a shot to the neck. I've re-watched the play about 4 times. I still don't see a shot to the neck. Brooks got him in the upper chest and shoulder pads.

If that was correctly called according to the current rules, then the rules should be changed so that we can get back to real football.

I have jokingly suggested in other threads that perhaps the NFL should just make it a two-hand touch rule when a QB is dropping back to pass. That way Goodell really gets what he wants. QB's should hardly ever get injured if that were the rule. LOL.

I'm sure you're correct if you re-watched it a few times. I consider it a football hit, myself . From my
replay, Brooks arms looked a bit high. When it's too close to tell, a record holding QB is going to
get the call everytime. It sucks but it is what it is.

OK, this is more the clothes line you're talking about? :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you're correct if you re-watched it a few times. I consider it a football hit, myself . From my
replay, Brooks arms looked a bit high. When it's too close to tell, a record holding QB is going to
get the call everytime. It sucks but it is what it is.

OK, this is more the clothes line you're talking about? :nod:

Raiders Vikings Jack Tatum Smash Super Bowl 11 - YouTube

Yes. And damn, that receiver got a helmet-to-helmet hit and a clothes line. I'm glad that the NFL has taken that out of the game, but we've gone way, way too far in the other direction.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. And damn, that receiver got a helmet-to-helmet hit and a clothes line. I'm glad that the NFL has taken that out of the game, but we've gone way, way too far in the other direction.

It was the follow through that got Brooks flagged as Brees was going backwards from the initial blow.
A ref sees that and out flies the yellow.

Attachments

• 20131117_jdm_sx1_032_0_standard_709_0.jpg
    20131117_jdm_sx1_032_0_standard_709_0.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 29

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like with any new rule, the officials are going to err on the side of overdoing it at first, but when they go back and review things the following off-season, they generally dial it back and refine things a little bit so that there aren't so many instances of questionable enforcement or enforcement overkill. Right now, they're pretty much looking at any hit from the numbers up that causes whiplash as a shot to the head and/or neck. Hopefully they'll do what they usually do and look at the calls that were made and try to get the officials to differentiate between an actual hit to the head/neck area and a legal hit that causes whiplash. They seem to be basing those calls more on the body language of the guy getting hit than on the actual point of contact.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has that new rule about runners lowering their heads been called yet? I'm not aware that it has.

That one baffles me.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible call against the Niners… The hit was clean and NO head contact… Just a horrible call…

Not sure how you guys can say that. I will post what I just posted on the Niner forum. Look at the thread that says Brees hit needs its own thread. It has a nice slo-mo. How can you not see his bicep and shoulder pads hitting Brees' neck area forcibly?

"In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders
impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of
the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary-roughness
rules covering these subjects)."

His Bicep and shoulder pad hit the QB in the neck area which caused the QB to drop the ball. The ref felt the location and force was justifiable in throwing the flag, so he did. I know we all grew up with seeing the hard hits, but this concussion and player safety stuff is very real and very concerning for the league considering the large salaries that go to QBs and large revenue which is lost if a QB is done for the season; see the Rams home crowd for proof. Also, they are protecting themselves against future lawsuits from players, so the ex-players, the player's union and the current players who agreed to the rule changes are to blame. If that was RW getting hit like that, you bet I would be pissed, and if the penalty went against the Hawks, I would also be upset, but the rules are the rules.

The one thing I will agree with here is the consistency, or lack thereof, in calling the roughing or unsportsmanlike penalties.

I think Joe Theisman might have something to say about player safety, and we take the hit below the knees of the QB rule for granted now, so I imagine in a year or so, we will all be fine and they will refine the rules a little and be more clear about when they are calling it or not.

Tough loss, but as the Steelers fans told us for years after SB XL, there were plenty of other plays we could have made to win the game and overcome some bad calls which happen. And they are right. I am not happy about the calls, but the Hawks could have done some things better to overcome it.