• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oilers reach agreement with city on arena, slated to open in fall of 2016

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Edmonton Oilers are going to get their arena.
On Tuesday the organization announced that after a final meeting with the city of Edmonton, the project to build Rogers Place -- with its oil drop design -- in downtown has been given the clearence. Construction will begin next month and the arena should be completed by the fall of 2016 to officially take over as the host of the Oilers.
"This is an exciting day for Edmonton as we move ahead with a project that will help realize our vision of a more vibrant downtown and ensures that the Edmonton Oilers remain a vital part of our city for years to come," said Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson. "The look of Rogers Place is bold and forward-looking, just like Edmonton. As part of our downtown vision, it will serve as a symbol of our city's great future."
This is a longtime dream come true for owner Darryl Katz.
"For the Katz Group and the Edmonton Oilers, we have always believed Edmonton's need for a new arena was a huge opportunity to help transform our downtown into the vibrant, diverse and dynamic community that is the hallmark of every great city," Katz said. "We couldn't be more excited to see that vision becoming a reality and I want to thank Mayor Iveson, City Council, former Mayor Stephen Mandel, and the entire team at the City and everyone else who has laboured over this project for years for their tenacity and faith in this project."
The long and sometimes contentious negotiations for an arena to replace Rexall Place had one sticking point through it all and that of course involved money. More specifically not only who would pay how much for the new arena but who could cover cost overruns as well. That has all been sorted out.
The arena itself is slated to cost $480 million and a total project that will include other aspects is priced at $606.5 million, all part of helping to revitalize downtown Edmonton. With a Guaranteed Maximum Price agreement, any overruns will be covered by the construction company, not the city or the team.
So much for that threat relocation.

Oilers reach agreement with city on arena, slated to open in fall of 2016 - CBSSports.com

Good for them and the city.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I like to poke fun at the Oilers, but this is good news for both Edmonton and Calgary.

/Hopefully, a new arena to replace the Saddledome will be ready within the next five years.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many stadiums in Canada will be named Rogers?

Also, how hard will it be to throw a jersey on the ice from the seats?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the Oilers

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An early and rough rendering of what the new arena may look like

il_570xN.388736873_839t.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good for edmonton and as dash said for calgary as well. they both need new arenas to get stronger and more healthy for the NHL as a whole. but please Edmonton... dont change... dont change

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty, the Stamps need a new stadium as well (one with a retractable roof would be ideal).

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty, the Stamps need a new stadium as well (one with a retractable roof would be ideal).

you get the fans for it. I would really miss Old McMahon Stadium. I spent some pretty quality nights there when I lived in Calgary for Stamps/Lions UBC/UofC then off to the Moose for Dino Ribs and Beers.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McMahon Stadium has great sight lines and I had a ton of fun there as a U of C student and in my post-University days as well (it's a good thing my apartment was within crawling distance, man, I'm surprised I didn't fall down the stadium stairs a couple of times (lol).

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At long last....and thanks for the kind words Dash :D