• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oh, Mr. Sterling

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm aware of Curt Flood. He brought up an issue that the rest of his peers (fellow players) agreed upon since it helped their own interests. Sterling is a business owner who knew what he was buying into. His own peers (the other owners) have already denounced him and said their own interests do not match that of Sterling's. Comparing Flood to Sterling is like comparing apples and oranges. If you are still confused, look up Marge Schott.

Also, the NBA is immensely richer than Sterling, with even more resources. There are 31 other billionaire ownership groups in the NBA. He doesn't stand a chance even if it goes to court.

29 other owners but the rest of this post is exactly correct.

There will be lawyers and injunctions and whatnot, but the endgame is without a doubt Sterling ends up not owning the team.

The wife angle is interesting, I could see some kind of deal where his wife buys him out perhaps. But he's not going to own the team any longer after some period of time. Heck if it ever came down to it the NBA can just say 'if you don't sell, we aren't scheduling any games with the Clippers, your team doesn't get to play our teams until you do'

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll probably try to "give" the team to his wife or a family member. Whether making racist statements violates the bylaws/constitution of the league might be debatable according to what I read. They'll get rid of him, but maybe not in the way they'd prefer.

It's a private group of 30 billionaires. If the other 29 want you out, you're out. Bylaws or no.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. There is always an amount of prestige in owning a professional sports franchise. And if you think that many other of these good old rich boy owners don't harbor the same feelings toward what they see as lesser people then you are a bigger fool than I thought you were.

'Many other's? No I really doubt it. Maybe a couple are less obvious racists, but I actually think Sterling was by FAR the worst of the bunch. The other 29 don't seem like they have a problem just having black people in their buildings. Who do you suggest is as big of racists? Cuban? Prokhorov? Buss? Reinsdorf? Lacob? If they are they hide it WAY better. And they know how to protect their billions too. Sterling is bad for business. He's done.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm aware of Curt Flood. He brought up an issue that the rest of his peers (fellow players) agreed upon since it helped their own interests. Sterling is a business owner who knew what he was buying into. His own peers (the other owners) have already denounced him and said their own interests do not match that of Sterling's. Comparing Flood to Sterling is like comparing apples and oranges. If you are still confused, look up Marge Schott.

Also, the NBA is immensely richer than Sterling, with even more resources. There are 31 other billionaire ownership groups in the NBA. He doesn't stand a chance even if it goes to court.

Apparently you aren't. Flood went to court on his own to fight the Reserve Clause and despite MLB's anti trust exemption he won. The NBA will be very careful in how far it pushes Sterling lest he spill the beans in the NBA owners collusion against the players in numerous work actions in the past. He knows too much.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There will be lawyers and injunctions and whatnot, but the endgame is without a doubt Sterling ends up not owning the team.
The wife angle is interesting, I could see some kind of deal where his wife buys him out perhaps. But he's not going to own the team any longer after some period of time. Heck if it ever came down to it the NBA can just say 'if you don't sell, we aren't scheduling any games with the Clippers, your team doesn't get to play our teams until you do'

Perhaps, but it will get very ugly for the NBA.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No they can't. That's the stupidest thing you've said in a while. So if the NBA won't schedule Clipper games how will the players with signed multi-million dollar contracts get paid?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Many other's? No I really doubt it. Maybe a couple are less obvious racists, but I actually think Sterling was by FAR the worst of the bunch. The other 29 don't seem like they have a problem just having black people in their buildings. Who do you suggest is as big of racists? Cuban? Prokhorov? Buss? Reinsdorf? Lacob? If they are they hide it WAY better. And they know how to protect their billions too. Sterling is bad for business. He's done.

That very well could be but it won't matter if this becomes a leagl issue. Illegally obtained evidence cannot be used in court.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That very well could be but it won't matter if this becomes a leagl issue. Illegally obtained evidence cannot be used in court.

It's not a legal issue. It's a sports league issue.

Anyway, all we have to do is wait. I'm confident one of us is right and it's not you.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they can't. That's the stupidest thing you've said in a while. So if the NBA won't schedule Clipper games how will the players with signed multi-million dollar contracts get paid?

What do you mean how do they get paid? The team would still have to pay the players per their contracts. If the team refuses to pay them, then THAT would be that and no more Sterling as owner.

In other words, Toby, you can concoct all sorts of fantasies about 1970s baseball legal battles and Al Davis legal battles, but those weren't simply the owners all deciding that one of their number is no longer welcome in their club. You can't sue a fraternity to let you in, you can't sue Skull and Bones to let you in...nor can you sue those groups for kicking you out.

As the other guy said, think Marge Schott

gsw_lightning

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterling could sell, if he does, to the Arabs, Chinese, or some other foreign entity, who's views on ethnics in their countries are also suspect. We'll see how the NBA handles that one. Money talks.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterling could sell, if he does, to the Arabs, Chinese, or some other foreign entity, who's views on ethnics in their countries are also suspect. We'll see how the NBA handles that one. Money talks.

Well, all buyers have to be approved by the owners so I doubt they'll let a headache buyer jump in. In fact they will probably bend over backwards to make sure someone black is involved. Maybe P Diddy? Oprah?

Also, not all foreigners are big ol' racists...I don't think Prokhorov is. And if he is he hides it WAY better.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald Trump doubles down, insists racist Donald Sterling rant recording 'was a total set-up' captured by 'the girlfriend from hell'
EXCLUSIVE: Donald Trump doubles down, insists racist Donald Sterling rant recording 'was a total set-up' captured by 'the girlfriend from hell' | Mail Online

He's right of course. But he's the perfect scumbag to get set up like that. Like I've said, you don't often see lowlifes like Sterling actually get the beatdown coming to them. It's nice to see some poetic justice.

And if this makes other scumbags clean it up a bit to avoid a similar fate, so much the better.

gsw_lightning

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right of course. But he's the perfect scumbag to get set up like that. Like I've said, you don't often see lowlifes like Sterling actually get the beatdown coming to them. It's nice to see some poetic justice.

And if this makes other scumbags clean it up a bit to avoid a similar fate, so much the better.

Donald Trump could be positioning himself to buy the Clippers from Sterling. It's possible. Trump the perfect showman to promote the team, and show 'em dissenters the door (You're Fired). Hahahaha!!!!!
:laugh3:

gsw_lightning

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, this is happening in LA. Everybody down there have been heard from on the Sterling issue... even from former Lakers Magic and Kareem... EXCEPT from a certain well known Laker player... KOBE. Kobe has been awfully quiet in all this. Nothing from him anywhere in the media that I can find.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald Trump could be positioning himself to buy the Clippers from Sterling. It's possible. Trump the perfect showman to promote the team, and show 'em dissenters the door (You're Fired). Hahahaha!!!!!
:laugh3:

LOL....fun to think about, but the owners would never allow it

Might be fun if he did, and changed the name to the LA Trumps. Or the LA Toupees.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, this is happening in LA. Everybody down there have been heard from on the Sterling issue... even from former Lakers Magic and Kareem... EXCEPT from a certain well known Laker player... KOBE. Kobe has been awfully quiet in all this. Nothing from him anywhere in the media that I can find.

No, he's put in his .02 already, basically said he couldn't play for the guy.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...40428,0,6519599.story?track=rss#axzz30LU4bHKn

That's why he's going to sell by the way, besides the owners making him do so. The Clippers would empty out as fast as the players could leave and no one would sign there except rookies forced to when drafted.

gsw_lightning

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he's put in his .02 already, basically said he couldn't play for the guy.

Reflecting on Sterling, Kobe Bryant urges appreciation for Buss family - latimes.com

That's why he's going to sell by the way, besides the owners making him do so. The Clippers would empty out as fast as the players could leave and no one would sign there except rookies forced to when drafted.

......AND the article next to that one says this......

V. Stiviano 'very saddened' at NBA's Donald Sterling ban, attorney says - latimes.com

V. Stiviano, the woman at the center of the Donald Sterling scandal, said she was “very saddened” by the NBA’s decision to ban him from the sport for life, her attorney said Tuesday. V. Stiviano “never wanted any harm to Donald,” Calabasas lawyer Mac Nehoray of Calabasas told The Times.

......That girl is going to be the most hated girl by certain people. Donald Trump was right. Whoever was responsible for not only recording a private conversation, but also releasing a recording of a private conversation to TMZ, that girl opened up a can of worms. The NBA owners will read this statement from her lawyer and know for certain that they will be circling the wagons among themselves...no one among the lower class can be trusted around them.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean how do they get paid? The team would still have to pay the players per their contracts. If the team refuses to pay them, then THAT would be that and no more Sterling as owner.

In other words, Toby, you can concoct all sorts of fantasies about 1970s baseball legal battles and Al Davis legal battles, but those weren't simply the owners all deciding that one of their number is no longer welcome in their club. You can't sue a fraternity to let you in, you can't sue Skull and Bones to let you in...nor can you sue those groups for kicking you out.

As the other guy said, think Marge Schott

I didn't think you could top your last post for stupidity but by gosh you did it. Of course the team would not have to pay contracts to the players since the contracts were not fulfilled by the games being played by the players.
Donald Sterling may be a complete asshole but he is not Marge Schott. She was an ignorant hillbilly who inherited her money. Sterling is a smart lawyer, and a brilliant litigator, one of the most prolific this country has ever produced. He will fight this in court and I believe he has a decent shot at winning the fight to keep his team.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a legal issue. It's a sports league issue.

Anyway, all we have to do is wait. I'm confident one of us is right and it's not you.

You couldn't be more wrong, but then that is hardly surprising. Sterling's fight to keep the team will be in the courts for years. Expecting this guy to do the right thing and sell his team quietly is foolish. What in his history makes yiou think that will happen? Everyone who knows anything about the law knows that this will end in court.

If reports that the capital gains tax difference beteween him keeping the team or selling it differ by about 250 million dollars he will definitely exhaust all avenues before allowing this to happen.