• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least as the roster stands now, the Kings won't be exposing any significant forwards or defensemen to expansion. But I can't say that is necessarily good news for a playoff run in 2017.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh
Kings a little more active than usual, but without cap space finding a savior is not in the cards.
Kings hoping youth steps up and older guys regain some magic.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine so far, if the deal isn't there its better to wait....either the Kings didn't want some of these guys or players in the league think that window is shut.

King Mensa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Lucic will remain a King, he played really well overall for LA and I read they are very close." LMAO!

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Lucic will remain a King, he played really well overall for LA and I read they are very close." LMAO!

That one must be me, and I blew it on that one. Was hoping for a better outcome considering what the Kings gave up for him but happy he didn't end up with the deal he got from LA.

If the report that LA offered him 8 years/$34 million is true, I'm glad he didn't take that either. Brown Contract V2.0 right there. Similar to Gaborik's deal, should be interesting to see how that is handled in the new 2-3 years.

Pretty sure he will be left unprotected on the Expansion Draft list.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe Turdcell is back, another guy I wasn't impressed with his first stint here. Absolutely useless.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have much rather kept Versteeg for that amount, probably not realistic though. It's looking like this is going to be a tough summer for UFAs, there was the big names and then a lot of middle tier guys, I mean more than usual, which is keeping salaries down in that market.

Stall went cheap for example as did others, would have been nice to see Versteeg stay here for a little less but the Kings' cap situation didn't help either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonathan Bernier traded to the Ducks. I guess they had to wait until the Leafs paid him $2mil bonus on July 1st, or else he would have been part of that Frederick Andersen trade.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So we get to face Jones and Bernier more regularly now as they are in our division

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of weird how Quick's backups end up in the same state.

Personally I think Bernier is going to give The Legend a run for his money, reminds me too much of Jamie Storr - big, physical tools but maybe not all there upstairs. Bernier was good in LA behind a solid defense, and Anaheim has some great defenders in Lindholm, Vaatanen, etc. Gibson should be worried.

On a side note, Forbert extended - 2 years/$1.3 million.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Kings have signed forward Nic Dowd and goaltender Jack Campbell to two-year contracts while making official the previously reported two-year extension to Derek Forbort. Via hockey operations, Dowd’s cap hit is $640,000 and Campbell’s $612.5; as had been noted Sunday, Forbort’s contract was for a $650K average annual value.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zatkoff, Campbell and Budaj will be competing for that back up spot which should make for an interesting camp. I think Budaj is best served being a mentor in Ontario more than an NHL back up at this stage of his career, and I have not seen enough of Campbell to know what kind of player he can be but all reports say he is physically talented but mentally not.

He was drafted in the first round 6 years ago (2010/11th) and struggled to make a Dallas team that needed help in net so that has me a little concerned but Zatkoff was solid in his NHL stint in Pitt so I'm thinking he will win that spot out barring something extraordinary from the other two.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Checking out the UFA defensemen list, nothing really is available apart from Kris Russell, but his value can be questioned in a lot of ways. He blocks a lot of shots but he is a LH defender and his shot blocking acumen didn't really help Dallas after he was traded by Calgary. He is the biggest name left, and I don't think LA will look at him considering they have one RH defender in Greene and he may not even be here when the season opens.

An interesting name that jumped out at me however is James Wisniewski, who was just bought out by the Hurricanes. He is a solid puck mover, physical and has a mean streak and is that coveted RH shot but is very injury prone. The guy literally lasted one shift - his first - last season in Carolina and blew out his knee, went on LTIR and was gone for the season. He had 1 year left on his 6 year/$33 million deal that the Canes bought out making him a UFA.

He has been moved a lot, which should be looked at - hope he isn't a dressing room problem or anything but the guy does look like a bonafide asshole so I wouldn't be shocked.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the "Wiz"....no thanks, unless he is going to platoon with Greene....together they might cover a season. If he had ever had a full NHL season in his career, maybe take a chance on him but he is just one of those guys that cant lace em up every game.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Carle, he can move the puck and is a good D when he has a supporting cast.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zatkoff will be the back-up. Kings must expose 1 goalie for expansion who is either under contract for 2017-2018, or a RFA. I believe Budjai is only signed through this year. Campbell is a work in progress who I think the Kings are hoping can become a Martin Jones back up in a couple years, and thus a tradeable asset.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, since we've learned the definite expansion rules, combined with the fact that Brown's contract is "untradeable", I'd say the Kings are in a planning mode for Expansion. Looks like they are set-up to have Brown, and possibly Gaborik, as the only decent players exposed under the Expansion rules.....

1-goalie protect, (Quick) leaving Zatkoff exposed = doubt he would be taken, should be a lot of better starters and back-ups available.

3- d-men (Doughty, Martinez, Muzz). Leaving McNabb, Greene, and Trotman as only eligible d-men exposed. Out those 3, I would think only a slightly cheaper McNabb might be taken, but only if he has a break-out season in 2017

7- forwards (Kopi, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Lewis, Clifford, and maybe Gaborik). That leaves Brown and one more of the Nolan, Dowd, Andreoff, Latta type of forward exposed. Or, they protect a Latta, and expose both Gaborik and Brown.

My point: I think Lombardi has the current roster & contracts set-up to pigeon-hole Las Vegas into taking away one of the Kings bigger contracts in Brown, or possibly Gaborik.

(Of course, if there is significant player (d-man) acquired between now and then, things would obviously change).

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its hopeful but I wouldnt be shocked if Las Vegas took Brown. They will need to be able to hit the cap floor and adding a 2 time cup champion captain to help get a new franchise find its way might be something they would like.