• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, figured there would be other guys worth protecting on the AZ blueline ahead of Schenn.

With regards to Expansion, I think most teams will be somewhat like the Kings. Meaning, they'll try to have the bare minimum of the 2 Fs, 1 D, 1 G, exposed for Vegas. That way, most team will know at least one or two of those exposed players will likely not be appealing to McPhee. So, not only will they know the the players they are protecting, but they'll likely narrow down the player (and contract!!!) they'll be losing to just one or two probable options.

Along those lines..... does anyone know if Versteeg got a 1 or 2+ year contract to play in Switzerland? Just wondering if he was going for the security of a multi-year contract, then perhaps only place he could find it at a decent $$$ was outside the NHL. Figure some NHL teams would have offered him a 1-year deal?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 4 guys LA would ideally leave available will be Brown, Gaborik, Trotman and Campbell (Zatkoff if Campbell somehow miraculously delivers on that 11th overall status or shows significant improvement). If the Kings can somehow lose one of Brown or Gaborik, holy hell throw a f**king party. That opens up a ton of options, not to mention cash for Toffoli and Pearson as RFAs next summer.

Interesting tidbit is an RFA goalie can be left exposed as long as they received their MQO prior to the Expansion Draft. The Kings do not have any of those in the system so it will be one of those 2 guys for sure unless something changes between now and then.

Versteeg, haven't seen term on his Swiss deal but the way this UFA period went no one really got huge deals not named Lucic, Eriksson, et al. The market really stagnated for these middle tier guys, they went for peanuts and teams simply either are not interested in them for current NHL needs or they have guys eligible for the ED already.

Versteeg was not going to make the $4.4 million on his just expired deal, and looking at other guys his range would have been around the $1.5 mark (like Turdcell). Far cry from the big money, teams are protecting themselves for the ED not to mention Lockout 4.0 in 4 years.

Interesting thing I noticed in the new deals for guys like Stamkos for example, there are huge signing bonuses in their deals and minimal base salaries over these terms - lockout protection. These guys will only be out like $2 million tops instead of say $10 million because signing bonuses are guaranteed no matter what.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 4 guys LA would ideally leave available will be Brown, Gaborik, Trotman and Campbell (Zatkoff if Campbell somehow miraculously delivers on that 11th overall status or shows significant improvement).

Question on Campbell type player: would he be considered a 1-2 year pro, and not have to be protected from Expansion? As he has only played a couple NHL games? Or is it based on years of being a "pro", regardless of NHL, or AHL level? As he is 24, I am guessing he has a few years of being a paid pro, just not at the NHL level. Not sure how that rule applies to guys with 2+ years of pro level, but still technically an NHL "rookie".

If the Kings can somehow lose one of Brown or Gaborik, holy hell throw a f**king party. That opens up a ton of options, not to mention cash for Toffoli and Pearson as RFAs next summer.

I agree, Lombardi is definitely angling to get rid of Brown or Gaborik. But McNabb, if he is still around, would be the guy that McPhee might take as a depth defense-man instead of several years on the Brown or Gaborik contracts. Maybe, just maybe, Lombardi trades McNabb before the Expansion Draft. That would greatly increase the chances Brown or Gaborik is taken.

If not Lombardi, I bet some GMs out there will attempt to the same with their rosters by trading certain "lower" level guys solely to "pigeon-hole" Vegas into selecting 1 or 2 specific contract/player.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This website General Fanager has the great interactive tool on who's exempt and you can pick and choose -

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for link. Looks like the Kings have less exempt guys than I thought.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question on Campbell type player: would he be considered a 1-2 year pro, and not have to be protected from Expansion? As he has only played a couple NHL games? Or is it based on years of being a "pro", regardless of NHL, or AHL level? As he is 24, I am guessing he has a few years of being a paid pro, just not at the NHL level. Not sure how that rule applies to guys with 2+ years of pro level, but still technically an NHL "rookie".

"Professional Year" in NHL terms includes the AHL, so although he is an NHL rookie (1 NHL game to his name) by NHL professional standards he is not a rookie. I think that is a big reason why Dumbo acquired him and Zatkoff as well - Quick is the incumbent and will be protected, and both Zatkoff and Campbell will be exposed (Budaj cannot be protected since he will be a GIII UFA). If they choose to take one, the other one is immediately Quick's NHL backup.

I agree, Lombardi is definitely angling to get rid of Brown or Gaborik. But McNabb, if he is still around, would be the guy that McPhee might take as a depth defense-man instead of several years on the Brown or Gaborik contracts. Maybe, just maybe, Lombardi trades McNabb before the Expansion Draft. That would greatly increase the chances Brown or Gaborik is taken

McNabb is going to have to have one hell of a season for that scenario to play out. I wouldn't mind seeing it - it means a good thing for LA - but he will essentially need to play lights out. The other option is going the 8S/1G too as you know, and he could be protected and someone like Matt Greene will be left exposed.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's sported an A on and off before, but I assume with the leadership change it'll be official by Opening Night.

One has to think with Brown no longer captain, that leadership group is gone as well - it was Brown with the C and Kopitar/Greene with the A. With Greene being waived earlier this summer, and his future uncertain in LA, I think a complete overhaul of the leadership group has happened, not just the captaincy.

My guess is Kopitar has the C obviously and then it'll be Doughty and Carter with the A full time. Stand bys in case of emergency would be Martinez and Lewis IMO.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Scuds would be a standby A. Sucks with the situation with Greene and Schenn, I really don't like not having at least 2 Dmen that can really clear the net and the Kings don't have any. Moving the puck out was a glaring weakness when Amart was lost but moving bodies in front of Quick is just as important.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about him - sad, he was so huge for the Kings for 4 years and crucial to that first Cup (thanks for taking one in the face!) - but I don't think he will be wearing one. Maybe, but he isn't as integral this time around as he was when the Kings signed him in 2009. He's a role/depth player, and by all accounts is a leader in the room whether he has an A or not but isn't part of the team long term now with the new leadership group.

Lewis has won the Unsung Hero Award voted by teammates like what, 5 years in a row now? Quite an accomplishment. Add in he just signed that 4 year deal so I can see him wearing one now and again. He too is known to be a 100% team first, win at all costs guy, so I could see him getting one interim if something happens to Doughty/Carter. He is here for the long haul.

It does suck with the Greene/Schenn situation, and I agree with you 100% - while the puck movers are important so are the crease clearers. Greene has given his soul to LA the last 8-9 years, reminds me a lot of Norstrom but meaner. Norstrom was tough as nails but not as nasty as Greene.

Greene was a beast in front of Quick, and he very well could still be, but the guy has only played in 210 of a possible 376 RS games the last 5 years (56%) and that doesn't include any PO games so it should be accepted he may not be available throughout the season not to mention he is yet again coming off major surgery and will take some time to get back up to speed. Scuderi is more of a positional/intelligence guy than a physical one, but his age is showing so while the mind may be telling him the correct read and what to do, the body has slowed down and may not let him.

Losing Schenn, especially for as cheap as he went, really sucks. Would have rather kept him than Scuderi or Greene but even that little amount of money wasn't available. In a way I guess it's good, the Kings need to transition to a hybrid speed/physical team anyway, and none of Scuderi, Greene or Schenn are great skaters. "Heavy Hockey" is outdated now and it's starting to show.

This may force the Kings to become a quicker transitional team from defense to offense with some skaters available in Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez and to a lesser degree McNabb (huge year for him coming up, it's make it or break it time).

Last edited:

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think the Kings want both Greene and Scuderi on the roster next season. At least not in the same game at once. Kings fans should be forever grateful to those guys for helping to win the cups. But gotta figure at least one of them will be in Ontario, or traded for a 27th round draft pick. My guess is that if Greene is healthy, he will be on the Kings, and Scuderi will take over the Schultz role as a veteran d-man in Ontario, with the occasional call-up.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call, especially with Schultz signing with Anaheim and most like penned to do the same thing for them in San Diego with the Gulls*. Wouldn't be surprised to see Scuderi in Ontario, he looked really old and slow this last time around. I think Greene probably has a little mileage left in him compared to Scuderi but not having really seen him this past season we don't know what we are going to get.

As it stands right now, the locks on defense for 1-4 are Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin and McNabb (what's with all the Ms?). That leaves Scuderi, Greene, Gravel, Forbert, Trotman and Gilbert trying to lock up 5-7. I can't see the Kings carrying 8 defensemen unless a forward gets hurt in camp and even then it may be temporary.

Three of these guys will not be in LA come Opening Night. It's a huge year for Forbert, he is not exempt from Waivers anymore so the Kings risk losing him for nothing if he doesn't make the team and they can't trade him. Gravel looked better to me than Forbert did last season in the small sample we saw, but Forbert went 15th overall for a reason, there is talent there that needs to be honed. Trotman and Gilbert are essentially insurance in case both Gravel and Forbert do not make the team and if Greene and Scuderi are not on the Opening Night roster (possible).

*Jeff Schultz: what a life. Signed 4 years/$11 million with Washington and was bought out under the Compliance Buyout of 2013. He made $1 million in each of 2013-14 and 2014-15 from them, the same summer the Kings gave him a one way deal worth $700,000 in 2013-14, he got another one-way 2 year/$1.7 million deal in 2014-15 and 2015-16 and Anaheim signed him for $575,000 NHL/$250,000 AHL 1 year deal last month. San Diego, the beach, low pressure hockey to be a mentor. If my math is correct, he has made about $4.4 million NOT to be in the NHL the last 4 seasons, his last season in Washington prior to the buyout he only played in 26 games.

Sounds like a pretty darn good deal to me, living in SoCal, not recognizable and I'm sure he is a nice guy but his NHL career hasn't exactly been stellar to be making that much - he's played 17 NHL games in 3 years, 10 RS and 7 POs. To put it in perspective, $4.4 million/17 NHL games = $258,823/NHL game. Kopitar's new deal? $10,000,000/82 games = $121,951/NHL game.

Played with the Kings in the 2014 POs and even got his name on the Cup.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Checking General Fanager and noticed they list Dustin Brown as having a No-Trade Clause. Is this true?

Los Angeles Kings Salary Cap | General Fanager

If this is true, the Kings would have to protect him in the Expansion Draft next year (They wouldn't have a choice).

This is the first I'd heard of this, and maybe it's an error.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Checking General Fanager and noticed they list Dustin Brown as having a No-Trade Clause. Is this true?

Los Angeles Kings Salary Cap | General Fanager

If this is true, the Kings would have to protect him in the Expansion Draft next year (They wouldn't have a choice).

This is the first I'd heard of this, and maybe it's an error.

Kopitar is the only King that can't be exposed because he has a No Movement Clause. Brown has just a No Trade Clause, and technically they aren't trading him, just exposing him to an expansion draft.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, only NMCs are automatically protected on the ED list. NTCs are not exempt.

Dumbo doesn't like to hand out NMCs, I read prior to Lucic leaving that was one of the sticking points. I can't confirm this, but maybe he would have taken that 8 year deal the Kings offered if there was an NMC attached.

Trade protection was important to him and knowing Dumbo's stance, makes sense why a deal didn't happen if that was one of the key components but that was a smart move considering the term and historical career paths of power forwards; they generally crap the bed about 31-32 so the Kings would have been screwed the last 3-4 years of that deal if Lucic tanked. Even with no NMC, I think the 8 year term was way too long, my max would have been 5.

In Brown's case, his is a limited NTC as well, I think there are 8 teams he can list who he doesn't wwant to be traded to.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Brown's case, his is a limited NTC as well, I think there are 8 teams he can list who he doesn't wwant to be traded to.

I wish that was the only problem with moving him

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, only NMCs are automatically protected on the ED list.

Interesting Kopitars NMC ends in 20-21 and it becomes a NTC for the rest of the term

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schultz got his name on the Stanley Cup and AHL calder Cup in back to back years. At least someone I'll be happy to see down here in SD for Gulls games.

Here's the extra factor for Greene: he still has 2 years left on his contract. So, if he appears in the minimum amount (?) of games this season, he'll be eligible for the Expansion Draft. That is a real big "if". But if he does, that could help the Kings in their plight to shed the Brown or Gaborik contacts.

Meaning.... if the Kings trade McNabb prior to the Expansion Draft, then Greene would be the only eligible D-man. No way Vegas takes Greene, and unlikely Zaktoff. So then it circles back to the forwards as the only viable Expansion Draft options for Vegas. So, if its only Brown, Gaborik, and maybe a Andreoff or Shore available, then the Kings increase their chances of shedding either the Brown or Gabby contracts.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal with the ED is that of the guys exposed, only one of the defensemen exposed needs to meet the 40/70 rule, not all of them. I'm assuming one of Gilbert or Trotman will be playing in at least 35-40 games this season, which would then meet that requirement and they are eligible to be exposed (they both played between 35-45 games last season for their respective teams).

There is also that fine print in the rules stating a player who has missed at least 60 consecutive games or has a potentially career ending injury can be exposed but at the discretion of the league. Meaning, LA could file some paperwork saying they want to expose Greene even though he didn't meet the 40/70 rule the prior two seasons.

My theory on their thought process would be c'mon, the guy has been in the league 10+ years and has that veteran experience (the whole reason for the 40/70 rule) but it's unfortunate the last 2-3 years have been marred by injury. The league could then approve him to be exposed, but they also have the right to say no as well. The Kings have an extra option and flexibility with Greene they do not with others.

Your method would be better in terms of increasing the chances of losing Brown or Gaborik, but I wouldn't put it past Vegas to take a flyer on Greene to be honest. He has a great reputation as a born leader and known to do anything it takes to win, not to mention he would be a great mentor for any young kids Vegas drafts/trades/picks up.

Sometimes a fresh start is all it takes.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting Kopitars NMC ends in 20-21 and it becomes a NTC for the rest of the term

More proof he is a team player, that allows flexibility in case the Kings need to move him. Coincides coming off a year with a potential lockout too, and I'm sure there will be new rules inserted into that CBA that will favor both teams and players.

Dumbo positioned his contract well, and Kopitar did also.