• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFSEASON Thread

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or Kelly is smart and wait after NSD so no one leaves.

The only problem with that is top D-Coordinators would be mostly in place elsewhere and they would have to steal one and I'm not sure they would be able to. Also if the guy is someone like Pruitt then you may not lose too many guys.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem with that is top D-Coordinators would be mostly in place elsewhere and they would have to steal one and I'm not sure they would be able to. Also if the guy is someone like Pruitt then you may not lose too many guys.
Yes or grab an NFL guy.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not as concerned about losing recruits if BVG moves on or is let go. It is widely reported he's not very hands-on in the recruiting process. The position coaches are the ones with the relationships with the players, and unless a new DC would come with the conditions that he hire his own staff (not very likely as its still Kelly's team), then the position coaches responsible for recruiting these guys will all still be here.

The concern would be if the replacement wants to go back to a 3-4 alignment like Diaco, in which case all teh 4-3 guys that were recruited will be out of place. That was the problem for guys like Doug Randolph, a prottypical OLB in a 3-4 which he was recruited for has had a hard time getting on the field as a 4-3 WDE, and guys like Devin Butler that were not press coverage CB's but were recruited for Diaco's defense, when BVG's defense is entirely reliant on one-on-one situations on the corners and need aggressive, press type players.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can hire a coordinator that uses the 4 3 scheme....no worries.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes or grab an NFL guy.
Well, if ND were seriously even considering moving on from BVG, looks like they may have missed out on a golden opportunity to swipe a replacement.

Dave Aranda was hired by Les Miles at LSU in a lateral move as DC for the Tigers. Dude is a fiery young guy with an impressive resume and took Wisconsin to top level defenses in his three years there, playing a 3-4 scheme.

Rivals

Football Hires Dave Aranda as Defensive Coordinator

I'd say from the little onion peeling I did that Miles was looking to hire Aranda in 2014, but was unsuccessful. He didn't miss this time around. Kinda wonder if there was some inside dealing btwn Miles & Aranda on this one, since Wisconsin AD, Barry Alvarez, states he wasn't worried about losing Aranda.

In other words, I'm not quite sure Aranda may have been 'available' to the market and LSU had an inside line on a great DC here.

Dammit.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on the Jaylon Smith injury? I haven't heard anything yet.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on the Jaylon Smith injury? I haven't heard anything yet.
All I got by 0500 this morning was BK stating: "it was a significant left knee injury."

If you look at the replay, it was another one of those damned freak injury deals. He got pushed off a play and landed on his knee awkwardly and looks hyper-extended, initially, however I think it's much worse than that.

The proverbial MRI will be the tell-tale on this one, but I'd bet there is something torn or, at least, badly strained.

Edit: More reason to really look into a quality S&C coach IMO. We just have way too many of these weird injuries.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens and Smith will be back 100%. It is amazing how players come back from knee injuries these days

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having seen it a few times, I would want our guys to hit like that up to the whisle. It wasn't a late hit, and those guys are programed to hit someone, anyone, even if it was away from the play. Did the same thing playing HS ball. I remember on a sweep play, after the RB was already about 10 yards downfield, I turned around wanting to deck someone, it would have had no impact on the play, but the whisle hadn't blown.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having seen it a few times, I would want our guys to hit like that up to the whisle. It wasn't a late hit, and those guys are programed to hit someone, anyone, even if it was away from the play. Did the same thing playing HS ball. I remember on a sweep play, after the RB was already about 10 yards downfield, I turned around wanting to deck someone, it would have had no impact on the play, but the whisle hadn't blown.
In all honesty he is shoving him from behind though, don't really know how that is legal. I never thought it was dirty or he was trying to hurt the guy, but it was unnecessary and it sure appeared to me that he shoved him in his back as he was getting back up. Have you heard any more on the extent of the injury, if it is a tear. It looks that way but hopefully it's just a bad strain. I'd think we would hear more today. I've watched the clip over and over and it is sort of a shitty view of it. I wish it would have showed it a second earlier. To me it looks like he was down, attempting to get back up and shoved in the back as he was starting to get up away from the play. He wasn't blocked from the front or side.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently Smith had a five million dollar insurance policy, or at least that is what I had heard.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty he is shoving him from behind though, don't really know how that is legal. I never thought it was dirty or he was trying to hurt the guy, but it was unnecessary and it sure appeared to me that he shoved him in his back as he was getting back up. Have you heard any more on the extent of the injury, if it is a tear. It looks that way but hopefully it's just a bad strain. I'd think we would hear more today. I've watched the clip over and over and it is sort of a shitty view of it. I wish it would have showed it a second earlier. To me it looks like he was down, attempting to get back up and shoved in the back as he was starting to get up away from the play. He wasn't blocked from the front or side.
I thought some of the early speculation was that it was multiple tears PCL, others. One described as "worse than an ACL tear" which I though was the absolute worst you could get short of what happened to Napoleon McCallum. I haven't heard anything definitive though.

I will add that while I don't think the hit was dirty or illegal (again, I wouldn't be complaining if our guys played like that), there should have been some sort of retribution taken so that OSU would think twice about trying it, especially after taking out our best defensive player. I don't know where the nastiness lies on this team, but it would have been worth 15 yards for someone, anyone to let Decker know he got away with one, it won't happen again. We used to kick teams asses in the hallway going to the field. Wouldn't have minded some organic leadership to do that. I remember a few years ago when Nick Fairley was taking cheap shots against some team (I can't recall which one). After about the second or third act, the other team blatantly chop blocked him. They said F this, we'll take the penalty, if the refs won't stop him, we will.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently Smith had a five million dollar insurance policy, or at least that is what I had heard.
Yep. 5 Mil if he fails to get taken in the first round. Something like a $50K premium on the policy. Which is why I think he still comes out. That $5M is guraanteed if he falls out of the first round. He doesn't collect on it if he doesn't enter the draft at all. So either he gets drafted in the first round and gets first round dollars (although after about the 12th pick that's not spectauclar) or he gets $5M plus whatever contract he gets for getting drafted elsewhere. Seems to me a no brainer.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. 5 Mil if he fails to get taken in the first round. Something like a $50K premium on the policy.
Just by chance did you watch the replay of this? I honestly didn't think that hit should be legal. It was a push from behind. I agree I don't think it was meant to injure but to me it looked illegal. A push in the back.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just by chance did you watch the replay of this? I honestly didn't think that hit should be legal. It was a push from behind. I agree I don't think it was meant to injure but to me it looked illegal. A push in the back.
C'mon, those only get called when Rocket Ismail is about to score and dash the pre-ordained NC team's dreams of winning it all.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, those only get called when Rocket Ismail is about to score and dash the pre-ordained NC team's dreams of winning it all.
that was Florida State correct

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was Florida State correct
No Colorado in the Orange Bowl in 1991. We beat them the year before, but this was the year they were hyped all year long by the media. Rocket returned a punt for a TD with about a minute to go. Got called back for a clip call that is, well, questionable. We couldn't finish the drive and they went on to beat us. We arguably would have had a shot at Lou's second NC if we beat CU in that game. It was harder to argue we should have won after the '90 Orange Bowl win because Miami beat us that year.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys think Notre Dame's Schedule is tough next season? We have Texas First... Other than that I only see Michigan State and USC and Stanford being key wins we should need next season.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Colorado in the Orange Bowl in 1991. We beat them the year before, but this was the year they were hyped all year long by the media. Rocket returned a punt for a TD with about a minute to go. Got called back for a clip call that is, well, questionable. We couldn't finish the drive and they went on to beat us. We arguably would have had a shot at Lou's second NC if we beat CU in that game. It was harder to argue we should have won after the '90 Orange Bowl win because Miami beat us that year.
I remember the play being a bogus call but couldn't recall who we were playing. I knew it cost a national championship though.