• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Thread

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little shortstop update:

Report: Mets continue to monitor shortstop market
by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
(10:55 am ET) Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada's shaky play this spring has renewed concerns for management he will not be able to handle the starting shortstop job. Therefore, the Mets are continuing to monitor the shortstop market, according to the New York Daily News.
A team source said Tuesday the Mets continue to scout Mariners infielder Nick Franklin, as they decide whether or not Franklin can play shortstop well enough to justify his offensive potential and giving up a starting pitcher prospect for him.

Also, a source for another team told the Daily News the Mets are also monitoring the Diamondbacks' shortstop competition, and "could jump in" to make a trade for Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings before spring training ends. Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said recently he would consider trading one of his young shortstops, ideally for a top catching prospect, which would likely be Mets catcher Kevin Plawecki.

There is also free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew, but there is no indication from Drew's agent, Scott Boras, that his client would be willing to sign a bargain-type contract.

Between Didi and Owings, I'd rather take a shot with Owings. I'd still rather have Franklin.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandy better keep a tighter grip on Plawecki....and maybe offer another chip or 2 instead...

Hell, I don't wanna see him give up Montero, but if we make a trade, we have to give up something.

Options:

stand pat with Reuben
stand pat, but with Wilmer instead of Reuben
sign Nancy Drew
trade for one of the three being mentioned

Which option do you guys prefer, and have I missed one?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dice-K & Capt. Kirk
VIERA, Fla. (3/13) -- Daisuke Matsuzaka and Ross Detwiler stated their cases for jobs as No. 5 starters as the New York Mets beat the Washington Nationals 7-5 on Thursday.

Matsuzaka allowed one run and three hits in 3 2/3 innings with four strikeouts and no walks. He is competing with John Lannan and Jenrry Mejia and said through an interpreter he has been "preparing, expecting myself to be in that position.
"Denard Span doubled leading off the first, stole third and scored on Bryce Harper's grounder for the only runn off Dice-K."I'm not the one that makes the decisions, so it's hard to say, but so far I think I've pitched pretty well," Matzusaka said. "I'm pretty satisfied with what I've done so far."Detwiler also gave up one run and three hits in 3 2/3 innings. He struck out two."I think the biggest thing is it's making the fastball better because they can't just sit there and sit on the fastball the whole time," Detwiler said. "I'm seeing it more when I get in good counts. When I'm ahead in the count, I can do a lot more than being behind in the count.
Then, we're back to square one throwing a lot of fastballs because the confidence isn't completely there in the offspeed. "Detwiler is competing with Taylor Jordan and Tanner Roark for the fifth spot."If I go out there and throw well, and feel good coming out of it, then I think I'll have a good chance at whatever I'm supposed to do," he said. "If I don't, then I don't deserve it."

Washington's Brock Peterson hit a three-run homer. Kirk Nieuwenhuis had three RBIs and Josh Satin drove in two for New York.

Nationals closer Rafael Soriano, roughed up in his first two spring training outings, pitched a scoreless inning and struck out David Wright.Mets prospect Noah Syndergaard struck out five, walked two and gave up three runs and two hits in 3 2/3 innings.

TRAINER'S ROOM: Nationals RHP Doug Fister (elbow inflammation) reported feeling a little "tight" after throwing on flat ground for the third consecutive day Thursday. He is still scheduled to throw a bullpen session Friday, then be evaluated.Williams theorized the tightness could be attributed to three consecutive days of throwing and the weather conditions."It's a cold, windy day out there, so we're not putting too much into that," Williams said.Ryan Zimmerman is not expected to play until Saturday because of shoulder and body tightness.

Williams wasn't concerned about the injury being serious.Left fielder Bryce Harper started Thursday's game, but is dealing with a chest cold and will be off Friday and evaluated for Saturday. Shortstop Ian Desmond, already bothered by an injured finger, was also feeling ill and was sent home Thursday.New York 1B Ike Davis (calf muscles) and OF Lucas Duda (hamstring) are still day to day. Mets manager Terry Collins said if Duda did anything Friday, it would be on a back field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets LHP Jon Niese has been cleared to resume throwing after undergoing an exam Monday in New York, multiple sources with ties to the team said (ESPN, Mar. 17).
Niese left Sunday’s game with pain in his elbow. He later said he may have hyperextended or simply irritated it during the game (Newsday, Mar. 17).

I really hope this doesn't linger all year long, and that he ends up fine.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have little faith in either of these guys at this point....and I have even less faith in the mets training/conditioning/medical staff.

JUPITER, Fla. (3/17)--- Ike Davis went 1-for-4 with a walk and Lucas Duda went 3-for-4 with a double, homer and walk in at-bats against Class A minor leaguers on Monday.

Neither rehabbing player ran the bases after making contact, but Davis (calf) and Duda (hamstring) did run afterward during conditioning work.
Too bad Capt. Kirk doesn't play 1B.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daisuke Matsuzaka and the Mets host the Tigers at Tradition Field on Tuesday at 1:10 pm ET, live on SNY and WOR 710 AM.
Wilmer Flores is scheduled to make his third start at shortstop this spring.

The D-Backs may look to trade 24-year-old SS Didi Gregorius, since fellow prospect Chris Owings is the front-runner to win Arizona’s starting shortstop competition (Bowden, Mar. 17).
The Mets have been monitoring Gregorius and Owings, while also scouting Mariners’ 2B-SS Nick Franklin, multiple sources recently told columnist John Harper (Daily News, Mar. 12).

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandy Alderson has started to reach out to teams that once showed interest in 1B Ike Davis, a source familiar with the discussions said (Rubin, Mar. 18).
He is also open to trading Lucas Duda, who has seen interest from at least one team in the American League (Rubin, Mar. 18).
In addition to Davis, Red Sox 1B Mike Carp, Phillies 1B John Mayberry, and Nats 1B Tyler Moore are all likely available (Stark, Mar. 18).

Trade Duda already!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you missed it…

Noah Syndergaard and Rafael Montero, and seven others, were sent to minor-league camp Tuesday > Read more on MetsBlog.
Jon Niese returned to Mets camp Tuesday, he’s ready to resume throwing and said over-exertion in an attempt to increase velocity may have led to his latest setback > Read more at the New York Post.
Bartolo Colon and Dillon Gee are on pace to pitch the first series of the regular season, though the team has yet to announce an Opening Day starting pitcher.
The D-Backs and Mariners were scouting Mets minor leaguers Tuesday, leading to speculation about how Sandy Alderson may try to trade for a new shortstop > Read more at ESPN.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“We’re going to be probably one of the best rotations in baseball,” Syndergaard said (NY Post, Mar. 19), talking about himself, Zack Wheeler, Matt Harvey and other teammates. “Those names on that list, who knows where everyone is going to be?”

I fucking love it!!! Love his confidence.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read on one of the baseball sites that the Mariners are trying to get Thor for Franklin.

I admire their balls, but...NO. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zack Wheeler will bat eighth in Thursday’s spring training game. Juan Lagares will bat ninth.
Terry Collins recently said he was considering batting his pitchers eighth. (Sherman, March 5)
Collins, in an attempt to get more RBI opportunities to David Wright and Curtis Granderson, said it’s something he’s thinking about.
“My thought is: How do we get them more RBI chances and also give David, in particular, chances to drive in runs,” Collins said earlier. “It is a possibility I might try [hitting the pitcher eighth.] I don’t know that I will, but I might.”
Tony La Russa, the manager most famous for hitting his pitchers in the eight hole, said that he liked the idea for a player like Wright.

Looks like he really wants to give this ''pitcher batting 8th'' thing a shot.

The Mets are looking to trade for a shortstop, but are they not willing to part with Noah Syndergaard to make it happen (Heyman, March 18).
The D-Backs and now looking to trade SS prospect Didi Gregorius for a big-league-ready starting pitcher to offset the loss of their ace, Patrick Corbin, according to an industry source (ESPN, Mar. 19).

NO WAY I give up Thor for Didi, fuck that.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets pitcher is batting 8th today. Just experimenting or is that something the Mets will do this year? (ya i'm watchin spring training baseball over NCAA hoops, so sue me)

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lagares just robbed J Upton of a homer. Nicely done.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again......ugghh
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla.(3/20)-- New York Mets left-hander Jonathon Niese will open the season on the disabled list, but should still pitch during the team's first homestand, a source told ESPNNewYork.com.
Niese received a cortisone injection in his left elbow Monday in New York to try to alleviate inflammation.
The Mets are not alarmed by the issue, but Niese needs more time to prepare for the season. He had missed time earlier in camp for shoulder weakness.
[+] EnlargeGetty ImagesJonathan Niese, who will start the season on the DL, likely will pitch during the Mets' opening homestand.

The team originally planned to have Niese pitch the March 31 opener against the Washington Nationals. Now, the plan is to have Niese pitch the sixth game of the season, April 6 against the Cincinnati Reds, also at Citi Field.
That is the day Niese would be allowed to be activated from the disabled list.
Teams are allowed to backdate DL trips nine days into spring training, as long as the player does not appear in a Grapefruit League game during that span.
Placing Niese on the DL will allow the Mets to carry an extra bench player for the first five games of the season, until the fifth starting pitcher is needed for the series finale against the Reds.
Niese should get two more tune-ups for the season in minor-league games: March 27 and April 1.
He is due to do work with a weighted ball on Thursday at the team's Port St. Lucie complex. Niese is due to resume throwing off a mound Monday.
The Mets have not named a replacement Opening Day starter. Dillon Gee, however, is currently lined up for the Opening Day start.