• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Thread

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have some SWEET pitching depth. I wonder how long it'll be before Thor gets called up?

Take note, boys: The Mariners need a pitcher quite badly. Don't be surprised if something happens with Franklin soon, if not with us, with someone else.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to chant ''Thor'' at games after every strikeout! I'm gonna make sure myself that that chant comes about!!

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grandy-Man with 2 HR's so far in todays game!!

4-0 lead in the bottom of the 4th.

Wheeler with a solid game.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grandy-Man with 2 HR's so far in todays game!!

4-0 lead in the bottom of the 4th.

Wheeler with a solid game.

I know it's early, but that's good to hear about Grandy.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terry Collins wondered out loud if Wilmer Flores, as opposed to Anthony Seratelli, could serve as a back-up infielder on the big-league roster this season (ESPN NY, Mar. 6).

Stephen Drew‘s friend says there is a very slim chance the free-agent shortstop signs with the Mets (NY Post, Mar. 6).

The Mets will play three games in Florida on Thursday.
David Wright and Daniel Murphy will play in an intrasquad game at Tradition Field around 11 a.m., during which Bartolo Colon, Jon Niese and Bobby Parnell are expected to pitch.
The rest of the team will be split up for two games in Kissimmee.
John Lannan, Rafael Montero, Steven Matz, Jeurys Familia, and Josh Edgin will face the Astros in a Grapefruit League game, while Logan Verrett, Jack Leathersich, Vic Black and Erik Goeddel will throw against a separate set of Astros in a “B-game.”

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was very happy to be able to catch some of the game against St. Louis yesterday, but...

...oh, that defense!!!

:gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MetsMarlins1. Eric Young Jr – LF1. Rafael Furcal – 2B2. Chris Young – CF2. Christian Yelich – LF3. David Wright – 3B3. Giancarlo Stanton – DH4. Curtis Granderson – RF4. Garrett Jones – 1B5. Josh Satin – 1B5. Jeff Baker – 3B6. Travis d’Arnaud – DH6. Jake Marisnick – CF7. Anthony Recker – C7. Reed Johnson – RF8. Anthony Seratelli – 2B8. Jeff Mathis – C9. Ruben Tejada – SS

Mets vs Marlins at 1:00PM

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla.(3/10/14) -- Dillon Gee tossed four scoreless innings and Wilfredo Tovar and Cory Vaughn contributed two-run doubles against Kevin Slowey as the Mets beat the Marlins, 8-0, Monday morning in a "B" game at the Mets' complex.

Dillon Gee

#35 SP
New York Mets

2013 STATS

• GM32
  • W12
  • L11
  • BB47
  • K142
  • ERA3.62

Gee, who had been working aggressively on his mechanics with Dan Warthen for a week, was thrilled with his performance. He allowed only two infield singles and benefited from a diving catch in right-center by Brandon Nimmo that completed the outing.

The specific adjustment, Gee indicated, involved when he separates his hands during his delivery. The revision helps prevent his arm from dragging during the delivery.

"The ball was coming out of my hand a lot better than normal," Gee said.

Jenrry Mejia followed Gee with two perfect innings. He next is due to start Sunday's game in Las Vegas against the Chicago Cubs.

Jeurys Familia added a no-hit inning.

After the Tovar and Vaughn two-run doubles against Slowey, the Mets upped the lead to 5-0 in the fourth. Nimmo walked, stole second and scored on Danny Muno's single against Steve Cishek.

Matt Clark later added an opposite-field two-run homer against Colby Suggs.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Left-handed reliever Josh Edgin was the most notable name dispatched to minor-league camp in the first round of cuts.

Edgin, who made 34 relief appearances for the Mets last season, was registering only in the upper-80s with his fastball.

Josh Edgin

#66 RP
New York Mets

2013 STATS

• GM34
  • W1
  • L1
  • BB12
  • K20
  • ERA3.77

That signals, barring an outside acquisition, that the Mets may only carry one southpaw in the bullpen to start the season, with Scott Rice. The alternative would be to use John Lannan in relief, which has been a consideration. Jack Leathersich also remains in camp, but likely is ticketed for Triple-A Las Vegas to open the season.

Infielder Wilfredo Tovar also was sent to minor-league camp.

The others dispatched: left-handers Steven Matz and Adam Kolarek, right-handers Erik Goeddel, Logan Verrett and Chasen Bradford, catcher Kevin Plawecki, infielder Danny Muno, infielder/outfielder Dustin Lawley, and outfielders Brandon Nimmo and Cory Vaughn.

Matz, from Long Island and the team's top pick in 2009, received rave reviews from scouts. He tossed two scoreless innings in Grapefruit League play. Matz should open the season with Class A St. Lucie.

Asked about the most positive thing about his camp experience, Matz said: "I got to face Yadier Molina and some big leaguers. I would say just going out and competing against some big leaguers and holding my own."

Goeddel, a starter for much of his minor-league career, will revert to the relief role that he also held while in college at UCLA.

The Mets now have 52 players in camp.
`

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niese a bit rusty in 1st spring start.....

JUPITER, Fla.(3/11/14) -- Jonathon Niese had an unsightly line in his first 2014 Grapefruit League outing: 2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 0 K.

But after the southpaw's 50-pitch effort against the St. Louis Cardinals on Tuesday, Niese pronounced the shoulder that had sent him to New York two weeks ago for an MRI fine.

Jonathon Niese

#49 SP
New York Mets

2013 STATS

• GM24
  • W8
  • L8
  • BB48
  • K105
  • ERA3.71

Niese added that his velocity, which was in the upper-80s during this outing, should rise as he dusts off rust and cleans up his mechanics so that he is throwing with his entire body instead of only his arm.

"I looked up. I hit 89 mph," Niese said. "I don't know if that's down, for the first outing. It took a little while for me to get going, get back into the competition. But I felt good. I kind of started off slow and was able to gradually build up."

Niese is due to make three more exhibition appearances before getting the Opening Day assignment on March 31 against the Washington Nationals at Citi Field. He believes that is enough time.

"I think so. I'm at 50 pitches, so I'm halfway to 100," Niese said. "I would have liked to have done it in more than two innings. I guess it is what it is. I don't feel like my pitches are as crisp. I think some of that might have to do with mechanics. But as far as my arm, it feels better and better each time. That's a good sign."

As for cleaning up his mechanics, Niese said: "I think it's just repetition. The more times I get off a mound, the better it will be."

Niese escaped a bases-loaded jam in the first inning that included a botched double-play attempt by Wilmer Flores and Omar Quintanilla behind him. He then surrendered a two-run homer to Kolten Wong and a two-run double to Allen Craig in the second.

"Just a crappy cutter," Niese said about the offering on the Wong homer. "It was just a cutter that felt like I released it in the back of my head instead of out in front of me."

Niese would be making his second straight Opening Day start.

"I'm not 100 percent as far as where I want to be pitching-wise, but I think they're getting more crisp," Niese said. "Some of the pitches, obviously I'm not really consistent right now."

As for his fastball velocity, which has averaged 90.2 mph during his career, he added: "I think that will come. I don't think it has anything to do with the arm being weak."

btw: the game is currently in the 7th inning....Mets trail 7-6

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jortsstroller.gif