• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a nice addition for a September addition and see what he has. His stuff is good and hopefully he's turned that corner mentally and figured it out.

Four rehab appearances at AAA RR. First one he gave up 2 ER 5 IP, second outing was horrible 3.1 IP and 11 ER, third 5 IP and 3 ER, and the last one was 5 IP 0 ER. He should probably get a couple more chances before the call up. Let's see how he does.

If he comes up in the form he was in April I think he will be fine in non-high leverage situations. He was doing pretty good and many were signing his praises until early May. Compound the fact that he was brought into questionable situations where other relievers were available, but I will leave that for another discussion:)

It will be hard for Kirkman to shake off the stigma of that Boston game where he gave up the 3 run HR to Big Poppie in the bottom 9th when we were tied 3-3. But we can leave that discussion for the DM-RW thread:)

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a nice addition for a September addition and see what he has. His stuff is good and hopefully he's turned that corner mentally and figured it out.

Yeah you say A LOT about the mental piece. Baseball is a VERY "mental" sport. Dude was struggling no doubt, but finding out sometime in early May that he had a skin cancer recurrance probably had some impact as well.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Always been the issue with him so I doubt it

Good one year, bad the next

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just read where Kirkman had a great rehab outing. Could be nice to get him back to help take some pressure off Ross in the BP. 5IP, 1BB, 7K's, no runs.

I think TEX has packed away any consideration of using Kirkman as an RP again. There are some guys who are not going to be successful RPs. Kirkman may be one of them. Don't think Kirkman's body and head ever worked into the ramp up and 1-2 IP mindset.

Know he has few fans ... but you don't have to go back very far when seeing Kirkman and Holland on subsequent nights at AAA that you just knew Kirkman was the better talent. Injuries shuffled their queue and Holland on a rehab (extra training) option assignment got the recall but many thought Kirkman was the better pitcher.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think TEX has packed away any consideration of using Kirkman as an RP again. There are some guys who are not going to be successful RPs. Kirkman may be one of them. Don't think Kirkman's body and head ever worked into the ramp up and 1-2 IP mindset.

Know he has few fans ... but you don't have to go back very far when seeing Kirkman and Holland on subsequent nights at AAA that you just knew Kirkman was the better talent. Injuries shuffled their queue and Holland on a rehab (extra training) option assignment got the recall but many thought Kirkman was the better pitcher.

Do you think they are stretching him to take a shot of being a starter? His rehab starts have been 5 innings.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you think they are stretching him to take a shot of being a starter? His rehab starts have been 5 innings.

Yes. He's SP depth probably behind Tepesch (and Blackley and Wolf) and like Tepesch he's on the 15Day DL so could be a Sep callup without affecting the 40man and would be playoff eligible. Probably an emergency backup for Ross' spot although as I said I don't see him being used as an RP except in a real emergency but after he's validated his ability to perform.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, those of you who didn't believe me about Lewis and Feliz believe me now assholes?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Feliz?

People were swearing he'd return to the rotation on July, August at the latest. Now he'll be a September call up and get a few mop up innings. Like I said.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, apparently lance Barksdale is gargling Puig's balls too.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People were swearing he'd return to the rotation on July, August at the latest. Now he'll be a September call up and get a few mop up innings. Like I said.

If he's effective as he has been on his recent appearances w/RR ... 8.2IP in 6 appearances 0R, 4H 2BB 9Ks ... went 3.0 w/2H 4Ks today. I could see him on the post season roster sharing roles w/Soria and Scheppers.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's effective as he has been on his recent appearances w/RR ... 8.2IP in 6 appearances 0R, 4H 2BB 9Ks ... went 3.0 w/2H 4Ks today. I could see him on the post season roster sharing roles w/Soria and Scheppers.

Is that an option since he hasn't pitched before September 1st? With ogando presumably moving to the pen in October that doesn't leave an obvious spot for Feliz does it,

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can only speak for the RR game I saw him pitch. He pitched 2 innings and as you note did well. But there were two fly ball outs that were sent deep. Could relate to HRs at MLB level.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is that an option since he hasn't pitched before September 1st? With ogando presumably moving to the pen in October that doesn't leave an obvious spot for Feliz does it,

Yes. You are eligible if you are on the DL on 31 Aug.

Think we can expect TEX to activate Feliz as early as Sunday. IMO most obvious spot for him might be replacing Wolf on an 11-man staff (4-SP, 7-RP) typically used in the playoffs.

Before Ogando can fill a bullpen role ... he's going to have to be off the DL. Would be great if he comes back healthy, effective and nasty ... can never have enough pitching coming down the stretch. Know he'd be slated for potentially a post season RP spot but if he's active he is on the September SP spot start depth chart to sprout one of the 4 postseason SPs or to get the rotation shuffled the way TEX wants it. Blackley could fill that role too along with being a RP backup for Ross potentially too.

OT -- since we are starting to wander into this territory ... with an 11-man pitching staff and with the generic 13 position players the question becomes who should fill the 25th spot? TEX has some options here since Profar has filled the UIF and DH spots. TEX could fill the 25th roster spot w/Berkman ... or could actually make it another pitcher. Here's how I see the roster ..

SP (4): Darvish, Holland, Garza, Perez
RP (7): Nathan, Cotts, Frasor, Scheppers, Soria, Ross, Feliz
C (2): AJ, Soto
IF: (6): Moreland, Kinsler, Beltre, Andrus, Baker, Profar
OF: (5): Martin, Gentry, Rios, Murphy, Cruz
#25 (1): Berkman or Ogando or Blackley

OT -- I wish PIT hadn't acquired Marlon Byrd.